How can I tell if a Hard Drive is failing?

Prozac23

n00b
Hey everyone, I'm working on a friend's computer and they think that their hard drive is failing. Is there any test I can run (or other) that will show me if the hard drive is indeed failing and a new one needs to be installed. :confused:

Of course I'd love to think that I could somehow repair the HD because that would require less work. But I'm not very skilled in this particular area. :rolleyes: :( :eek:

Thanks for any input, Prozac :)

most HD maufactures have a tester program to test the HDDs, try checking out the programs

Noises are normally a dead giveaway, such as clicking, turning on and off. Otherwise, using manufacturers utilities (such as off the Ultimate Boot CD) will give you an idea, although you may need to check the codes off the manufacturers web site.

I'll also vote for using the Ultimate Boot CD.
It has everything. Or you can scroll down the homepage under the Hard Disk Diagnostic Tools section to see the list tools you can use for you hard drive.

i´d recommend to u to make a backup copy of your friend´s pr0... erh... i mean important data, just to be on the safe side. ;)

If THEY think its failing the best thing you can do is order an new one today. If the diagnostics find the drive OK and it dies in a month they will think you are an idiot. You are in a no win situation becaue it will die sooner or laterand even if its 6 months from now they will blame you LOL . A new 120GB drive is like $60 bucks, it will take more time to reinstall windows on the new drive than to put it in. Really if THEY think its going bad, just slap a new one in there and you cant loose. While the new drive is on the way find the 'settings and whatever" transfer wizard (I cant remember the name) that lets you transfer their setup to a new computer and drive, make sure they have all their disks for windows and apps. Have them all put any data, pictures, any darn thing that they want to save, under each users "My documents" make clear to them if they do not put it under My Documents it will be gone, forever.

If you can use a screwdriver you can install the new HD. Getting windows and the apps and data back is the bitch. Thats an all day deal. There are things you can do to help with that but it would take days to type all the ways. If there is space on the drive try a full data backup to a file using windows built in backup utility and then burn that file to a CD(s) is one possibility, you will still have to load windows and the apps. Your are going to kill an entire day + what you have done already. If any of them have any computer skills deligate the backup preperation and new windows and apss install to them. Just make sure up front they completely understand what a new hard drive means, the HD is cake, its the software that will kill you mate.

Yeah, if it's making noises and/or failing tests, you should get a new one.

There is also a tool you can use on Linux LiveCDs so that you can image the drive over to the new one.

Back