How can I flash a different mobo model bios

Dman014

Weaksauce
Does anyone know of a flash utility that will allow me to flash the bios regardless of the mobo ID.

reason:
have a gigabyte EP-45-DS3L which does not support raid because supposedly it has an ICH10 not an ICH10R southbridge. I have reason to believe that it does in fact have an ICH10R southbridge, but just has the option disabled in the bios to set it to raid mode. I tried to flash the EP-45-DS3LR bios on my mobo, but it won't go because it is a different model it says. If not I am going to try integrating the raid bin into the bios I have with cbrom6, I am just not sure if it will change the option in the menu to select raid or AHCI. Thank you all for the help.

I don't know specifically, but crossflashing the P5E and Maximus to Rampage boards is a pretty common upgrade. I'd search that to see what they do to flash the bios on a different board.

Just cpu-z says that it does. I figure might as well try it should mess anything up really f I am wrong and if it does there is a seconf BIOS chip on this motherboard to recover from bad flashes.

I'd probably take the heatsink off of the southbridge first before flashing the bios to double check...or at least be very sure about the recovery method with the dual bios.

Just cpu-z says that it does. I figure might as well try it should mess anything up really f I am wrong and if it does there is a seconf BIOS chip on this motherboard to recover from bad flashes.
CPUZ isn't going to know exactly, for southbridges it generally only detects the general family/generation of ICH chipset. Don't get your hopes up.

I'd probably take the heatsink off of the southbridge first before flashing the bios to double check...or at least be very sure about the recovery method with the dual bios.

I agree with this. CPU-Z may be wrong on that issue. You don't want to ruin the board.

At the same time, it might be an ICH10R chipset with the "R" part of it disabled. Nvidia did that a lot with some of their chipsets.

Well the recovery portion work fine. I tried to mod it in with CBROM and flashed it and it did not take. It just booted off the second bios and automaticaly reflashed the first. I still would lik to try flashing the other boards bios on mine, since it can't hurt. Too bad the AMI utility wont work for an Award bios.

Back