How can I block Clickbait and Trash websites

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
What can I use to block Clickbait and trash news wesbites that just scrape other sites? I'm pretty good about not clicking on them, but occasionally I'm tricked. I'd like it if my browser would just not open the website. I'm OK with seeing the Akami ads and the like, but I just don't want the sites they link to to every open.

Is there a good extension that I can add sites to that Chrome would then not open? Something like a button on the top right that I can click on to say this site is trash never open it again.

Is there some sort of firewall or network software that keeps lists of this junk that I could buy for cheap, or configure myself?

OpenDNS comes to mind, though I haven't seen any talk about it in a long time and would like to hear others comment about whether it's still good. Can be used on a PC, device, or (probably even better) on a router. Was bought by Cisco last year.

Adblock plus

I'll have to look into that more. (I have [H] on the whitelist) It definitely doesn't work on Facebook.

I really just want to be able to keep a running list of trash sites that I never want to look at again.

I'll have to look into that more. (I have [H] on the whitelist) It definitely doesn't work on Facebook.

I really just want to be able to keep a running list of trash sites that I never want to look at again.

firefox has addon called disconnect. I use it to block analytical website tracking stuff. It block other garbage too i believe. Think it more geared towards blocking facebook tracking app ect..

firefox has addon called disconnect. I use it to block analytical website tracking stuff. It block other garbage too i believe. Think it more geared towards blocking facebook tracking app ect..

I'll check that out also. I'm OK with the tracking actually, I'd rather be spammed with computer parts and cameras, things I'm interested in then other junk. I'll still look at it to see if it'll work.

i use an add blocker called Ublock it is a chrome extension... they still show up though...

Like others have said, Adblock plus would eliminate alot. OpenDNS is also a good option as well.

If you want to get real deep and granular with your control, you could get an old desktop, slap another NIC in it and load Sophos UTM free home edition. There is a bit of a learning though. It's pretty much a free business grade firewall system.

ABP doesn't do squat for the ad crap that goes into the FB feed now. Often 2 of the first 3 are recommended ads.

Back