• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How Bing is Out-Innovating Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
CNN’s Business Insider seems to think that, even though Microsoft’s search business is losing money, Bing is still out-innovating Google. What do you think?

Google is one of the smartest, most innovative companies in the world, but in its core business -- online search -- it's being routinely shown up by Microsoft's third-place search engine, Bing. Bing is a surprisingly fast-moving, innovative product -- and it's forcing Google to play catch-up time and time again.
 
I need to try to use Bing more, but I'm a sucker for familiarity. I've never really had a problem finding things with goog and it works so why change? On top of that the integration with my goog account is pretty seamless.

I think Microsoft is facing a familiar battle where people aren't embracing new features and a new interface which takes advantage of faster tech. because of user familiarity (XP v vista/W7, etc.) but kudos for innovative ideas especially against the giant of google...not that MS is anything small lol
 
Just like CNN is "out-innovating" the other news outlets. CNN doesn't report the news anymore, they report their users Tweets and emails. How informative! ;)
 
Don't matter Google is know too well to people. Bings is the nemo and Google is the shark in the sea.
 
Google isn't being forced to play catch-up. They're really doing that for reasons unknown to anyone. First with user-selectable background images and now revisions to Google Image Search (and not for the better). For those of us who've been using Google for years, these changes have been, for the most part, unwelcome.

Google seems compelled to follow on the heels of Microsoft even in situations when what Google had going for themselves made more sense. Microsoft may be out-innovating, but Google is at the point where it no longer needs to 'evolve' in any significant way to retain its user base. Suffice to say that Google users are using Google not because it's like Bing but because it's been consistent, familiar and cohesive.
 
Google headed downhill the second they went public.
 
Microsoft isn't really out-innovating Google. If Bing is third then obviously not enough people like what Microsoft is doing which means they like what Google is doing. I for one hate the picture background and think it's stupid and serves no purpose.

Just because Microsoft is doing something different doesn't make it innovative.
 
If Bing is third then obviously not enough people like what Microsoft is doing which means they like what Google is doing.

Bing continues to pick up market share from Google. Not a huge amount, but it has been an impressive trend so far considering how dominant Google is. Also, look how long Bing has been out compared to Google. Give it some time, things might get interesting.
 
Google isn't being forced to play catch-up. They're really doing that for reasons unknown to anyone. First with user-selectable background images and now revisions to Google Image Search (and not for the better). For those of us who've been using Google for years, these changes have been, for the most part, unwelcome.

Google seems compelled to follow on the heels of Microsoft even in situations when what Google had going for themselves made more sense. Microsoft may be out-innovating, but Google is at the point where it no longer needs to 'evolve' in any significant way to retain its user base. Suffice to say that Google users are using Google not because it's like Bing but because it's been consistent, familiar and cohesive.

man, good luck hoping that google will never change, ever.

in any case I don't get the massive (overblown?) outcry over the google picture background?:confused: I can't remember the last time i was at the google/bing homepage! hello! search bar anyone??
 
Why not use both? Depending on the search Google is better sometimes and other times Bing. 80%+ of the time they give the same results anyway for simple text searches.

If you can use Macs and Linux and Windows all at the same time why the hell tie yourself to one search engine?:confused:
 
Google isn't being forced to play catch-up. They're really doing that for reasons unknown to anyone. First with user-selectable background images and now revisions to Google Image Search (and not for the better). For those of us who've been using Google for years, these changes have been, for the most part, unwelcome.

Google seems compelled to follow on the heels of Microsoft even in situations when what Google had going for themselves made more sense. Microsoft may be out-innovating, but Google is at the point where it no longer needs to 'evolve' in any significant way to retain its user base. Suffice to say that Google users are using Google not because it's like Bing but because it's been consistent, familiar and cohesive.

I agree with the unwelcome part. I did not appreciate the image gallery changes. I'm glad they gave me the option to revert back to the old gallery (scroll all the way down and click Switch to Basic Version).
 
I have tried Bing several times. The search results just don't get me what I want. Maybe it's because I'm so used to Google that I phrase my queries in ways that are more friendly to their algorithm, I don't know.

I just know that I find Bing to not even be a close competitor when it comes to finding what I want to find.
 
I'm starting to hate google, I really am.
That stupid sidebar was the start of it, now they screwed up the way image search works.
I like being able to arrange them by size now, but I only wanna be able to do that if I open the menu bar, I don't want it shoved on me without my consent. Even the grouping of images in the initial search is okay done bing's way, but I miss the thumbnail image at the top after you click on one. Now you get a full size windowed image that in more than one instance landed me smack into the full website whether I liked the image or not.

Am I picky, yeah. I just liked the old streamlined we won't show you anything unless you open it first interface that was google. Same reason I don't use bing or yahoo, yahoo is just a clusterfuck of shit all over the damn place, it's horrendous.
 
I'm starting to hate google, I really am.
That stupid sidebar was the start of it, now they screwed up the way image search works.
I like being able to arrange them by size now, but I only wanna be able to do that if I open the menu bar, I don't want it shoved on me without my consent. Even the grouping of images in the initial search is okay done bing's way, but I miss the thumbnail image at the top after you click on one. Now you get a full size windowed image that in more than one instance landed me smack into the full website whether I liked the image or not.

Am I picky, yeah. I just liked the old streamlined we won't show you anything unless you open it first interface that was google. Same reason I don't use bing or yahoo, yahoo is just a clusterfuck of shit all over the damn place, it's horrendous.

scroll down to the bottom of the image search page and select "Switch to Basic View"
 
man, good luck hoping that google will never change, ever.
There is a difference between changing and adding. Google can, and should, add. But major fundamental changes...I really don't want any part of it, particularly when they're not even good changes.

As for the background images, the first day they were introduced, they were forced upon users. They couldn't be easily disabled. Google blamed this on a bug, but it's safe to assume that wasn't really the case.
 
Just sorry to see the cash back on Bing shopping go away.
They had some of the best cash back rates, such as the 12% I got back on a Sony TV a few months ago.
 
call me old fashioned here, but my outlook is they're bloody search engines. they both work, so take your pick and be happy.
 
A great way for an underdog to gain ground is by innovating. Bing can't be another Google. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Google isn't patiently waiting for the competition to catch up so they can take the next step. Google is basically forced to maintain it's image until someone comes along and stirs the pot.

A loss of the market share doesn't necessarily spell doom. Inevitably we're gonna try the "new'' Colgate, instead of going with only Crest. There's only so many ways you can package the same thing. The phrase "competition is healthy" applies to consumer and producer. I think Google is intelligent enough to understand that a web search engine is a very narrow application, no matter how you embellish upon it. I also would wager that Google has not lost sight of it's roots.

While Walmart was busy becoming what is now pretty much a national symbol, we all enjoyed it's benefits. But now, at the top, it has become a target. With the narrow confines as a search engine, I think Google understands that the spotlight is better shared. And I use spotlight specifically. Yahoo in Japan using the Google search engine is a nice example of knowing when it's better to provide a service than a brand.
 
It's no secret that google moves very slowly. How long was gmail an invite-only beta? Same for google voice? Maybe that's the secret to their success. Their servers are tuned for searching. Things like complicated CSS, ajax, silverlight, javascript, or other extras are only used sparingly - if at all.

Nowadays, Google and MS are almost exact opposites. Google creations are plain, simple, and boring to look at. MS is dressing everything up with aero effects and animation. Look at the windows 7 phone interface vs google's android. It's like comparing OSX with windows 3.1.

I wish google would step things up just a bit in the visual department. But at the end of the day I still use google 10x more than bing.
 
For certain things, Bing is actually superior like searching for travel prices, comparing products or images (Google copied a lot of these items lately) but it is a different way of thinking than the average person who's been on the web for years has been conditioned to. Microsoft is on the right path by doing things differently but the biggest problem they will have to resolve is getting people out of reflex mode.
 
It's no secret that google moves very slowly. How long was gmail an invite-only beta?

I would say that points more to their lack of agility as a consumer software house than anything else. The do one thing well: search.

Everything else, IMHO, is pretty standard fare.

Google SUCKS (IMHO) at shipping software to end users. Case in point: At a normal software firm if a product team said "we are going to change a fundamental API and break major functionality for users who upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2" they would get shot down hard. Companies who ship OSs and major apps know you do not pull the rug out from under developers and nerf or break their apps without a very compelling and good reason and you do so with advance notice and guidance for updating code to the new API.

Google does not get this because this is EXACTLY what they did when they swapped in the "stagefright" media framework in Android 2.2. This change totally nerfed AAC audio fidelity and totally broke HTTP streaming of AAC content. If you are rooted you can get the fidelity fixed, but not the streaming.

Case in point #2, end user pain from a stupid arbitrary decisions: The car dock is USELESS for audio with 2.2. When docked the headphone jack is locked at a very low level making the use of the dock with aux-in on your car pointless. Plus, the car-home app is a step backwards, making toggling between car-home and regualr home a hassle. Why did they do this? Dunno. Oh. I know: they suck ass at anything that is not black text on a white screen.

And that's why I run 2.1. Fuck GOOG and "froyo." Sure, froyo has kick ass benchmark scores thanks to JIT. Lucky for me I'm not a benchmark whore like all the fapping retards at XDA who get all hard over numbers but don't seem to care that their phones don't fucking work.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
 
I love the term nerf being used outside of MMOs :D. When did this start happening?
 
Every time I read a story like this I try Bing again then immediately go back to Google.
 
Microsoft isn't really out-innovating Google. If Bing is third then obviously not enough people like what Microsoft is doing which means they like what Google is doing. I for one hate the picture background and think it's stupid and serves no purpose.

Just because Microsoft is doing something different doesn't make it innovative.

the picture background actually is what made me permaswitch to bing on all my systems, i like being greeted with some interesting facts or picture that i wouldn't have found otherwise when i open my browser...a few times i've even opened it and started down the rabbit hole of reading about the pic from linking off their facts...then never getting around to what i originally intended to search for.

anyway I like bing. the only thing i still use from google is gmail, and thats mainly my email i give away that may or may not come with spam...and maps because it has the bus routes for this city (cheaper to bus to work than to pay parking)
 
Bing continues to pick up market share from Google. Not a huge amount, but it has been an impressive trend so far considering how dominant Google is. Also, look how long Bing has been out compared to Google. Give it some time, things might get interesting.

This is probably exclusively because bing is the default search engine in the internet explorer search bar on new computers...
 
I agree with the unwelcome part. I did not appreciate the image gallery changes. I'm glad they gave me the option to revert back to the old gallery (scroll all the way down and click Switch to Basic Version).

I couldn't agree more. But the image preview page is still new, even if you click the link on the bottom.
 
Zarathustra[H];1036015119 said:
This is probably exclusively because bing is the default search engine in the internet explorer search bar on new computers...
True, but bing does have a few things that Google doesn't. Particularly in the mapping area. During our recent search for a house we used Bing to find homes on the map. Then you can actually rotate all the way around the house and see the back yard, fence, sheds, etc... We knew more about the houses than our realtor.

But, I still use google for everything else...
 
I used Bing for shopping, because after cash back they tended to find me the lowest prices. With cash back gone though I've gone back to Google who seems to do a better job finding the lowest price when both search engines are on the same footing without a cashback program giving Bing an advantage.
 
I've used Bing here and there, pretty much only when I remember to use it. Otherwise, Google is my homepage, and it's the first thing I see. It's clean, white, and uncluttered. I do however use Bing on my BlackBerry, the app is decent enough, and if it did turn-by-turn it would be even better. Though all I really need is a map and I'm good to go.
 
Bing is sort of in the dog house as far as I'm concerned. I'd been playing the games at Club Bing for a while. To an out-of-work computer engineer it seemed like a godsend. I played some games, earned some tickets, and got some good prizes to use as gifts for my kids.

Unfortunately, my luck didn't last. They seem to have flagged a bunch of people as "cheating" even if they haven't(at least to my knowledge).

I know Club Bing isn't exactly Bing, but close enough for me to think, "Wow! That is some innovation Bing". Maybe Google will come over and punch me in the nose to outdo them.
 
Why would I ever use bing?

Why not? Google isn't perfect. I use Google and Bing, Bing is my default. 95% it gives me what I want sometimes with better results than Google and if I don't get what I want one click later I have Google results. Limiting oneself to one search engine is bizzare around a place where people claim to run eleventy billion different OSes.:confused:
 
I have tried Bing several times. The search results just don't get me what I want. Maybe it's because I'm so used to Google that I phrase my queries in ways that are more friendly to their algorithm, I don't know.

I just know that I find Bing to not even be a close competitor when it comes to finding what I want to find.

Couldn't agree more. At college we are forced to use IE and Bing is the default search engine, found many times it doesn't return the results i want so i purposely go to Google and Google finds exactly what i was after...

Furthermore i feel Google has branched out and is innovating in so many areas these days, just look at android and apps like Google maps and goggles.

And I for one prefer the old Google image search over their new changes :(.
 
I have been a Google fan from the beginning and have supported them. Its fast and being on dialup speed is everything.
So a month or so ago they add a left hand side panel that you cant disable in the options. That adds more time as it downloads. Now they change their image results page and literally takes 10+ minutes to load 1 page and now there are multiple pages on that 1 page so add more time to that. I cant find the option/setting to use the old version or dialup friendly/lite versions.
They are making me find other solutions and are driving me away with their changes.
 
I have been a Google fan from the beginning and have supported them. Its fast and being on dialup speed is everything.
So a month or so ago they add a left hand side panel that you cant disable in the options. That adds more time as it downloads. Now they change their image results page and literally takes 10+ minutes to load 1 page and now there are multiple pages on that 1 page so add more time to that. I cant find the option/setting to use the old version or dialup friendly/lite versions.
They are making me find other solutions and are driving me away with their changes.

People still use dialup? Wow, that sucks.
 
The only place they were innovating in, and the only reason I visited bing, was the cashback program. Now thats gone, I've gone back to 100% google use.
 
Back
Top