How Android Isn't Really That Open

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google's Android platform isn't really that open and its 30% cut of the revenue is excessive...says the guy running a rival app store. :D

"To me, closed is anything that doesn't have total freedom," Laurs told me. "By that definition, Android is already closed." Laurs has some bold predictions for 2012. He believes Google will start to exert a tighter control over Android, restricting what kinds of apps are developed and what technologies they can use.

they do need to tighten up there app store and apps need to be better tested.

The platform being open doesn't mean that the market place also has to be open and everything else related to it. The very fact that the guy can run an app store for Android without having to hack the phone to do it says a lot.

There's a big gulf between 100% open and 100% closed. The guy is just blowing hot air.

So let me get this straight, he runs an unofficial app store but complains that its not open enough? Like. Someone is just upset he can't make money off of it.

So let me get this straight, he runs an unofficial app store but complains that its not open enough? Like. Someone is just upset he can't make money off of it.

This ^^^

Even if Google takes back some control to rein in certain things that won't stop GetJar, Appbrain, and Amazon from continuing their own appstores.

Android itself is open, but the Market, along with other Google-made apps are not open source and therefor Google is 100% in the right for trying to maintain control of them.

Its kind of funny...the reason this guy can run a reasonably successful alternative market is because the Android platform is pretty open to begin with. No root/jailbreak/mod required to install from his store.

Hypocrite whiner alert. If he'd kept his mouth shut nobody would know he's an idiot. Thanks for the warning.

Just wanna add that Google doesn't take a 30% share of sold applications on their market. While Apple, Microsoft, and I'm sure this guys markets do.

There was big news today that Microsoft will allow open source applications on their Windows 8 market. Nothing big for an Android owner like myself, until I find out that Apples ToC conflicts with GPL Apps. That means if there's an open source app on Apples market then Apple closely watches it like a hawk. Anything that conflicts and it'll be taken off in seconds. Same issue with WP7. Yep, you can't publish source code of Windows Phone applications or release them under GPL or GNU Affero licences.

I know that WP7 and iPhone owners say the grass is greener on their side, but it really isn't.

Back