HOT, Warm, unknown. 2x4GB GSkill DDR3 2133

scroll down on the shell shocker page and there is a place to put in your email to get emails about the shell shockers.

K, thanks

11-11-11-30 cas 11

isn't that a little slow for 4G modules

This was taken from a Anantech Memory review comparing speeds and latency performance.

"Finally, although the effects of low latency memory can be seen in our bandwidth tests, they don't show any real world advantage over their higher latency (ahem, cheaper) counterparts. None of the real-world tests performed showed any reason to prefer low latency over raw speed."

With that being said..it is also good to point out that there is actually little difference in going up to the faster RAM speeds as well. As most people would agree, 1600 is the sweet spot for price/performance. I would call this KIT a solid deal for the $35.00.

Is that what it will be, or what you will HOPE it will be?
That would put it in HOT territory I would think.

Warm IMO, at best. I bought a 4x4GB 1600 9-9-9 Patriot kit from Newegg three weeks ago for $48 after rebate... This one would come out to $70 for the same amount of RAM and I'd been seeing plenty of similar $70-75 deals for 4x4GB or 2x8GB last month. Many of those dropped to $50-60 during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Warm IMO, at best. I bought a 4x4GB 1600 9-9-9 Patriot kit from Newegg three weeks ago for $48 after rebate... This one would come out to $70 for the same amount of RAM and I'd been seeing plenty of similar $70-75 deals for 4x4GB or 2x8GB last month. Many of those dropped to $50-60 during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

But isn't 2133mhz RAM a hefty speed upgrade..?

these would be good for people upgrading their x58 systems, i just bought some 3 corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz kits for $35 over the weekend.

(please tell me i'm not wrong in thinking the 1st gen i7's can only do 24gb max :D)

But isn't 2133mhz RAM a hefty speed upgrade..?

Not really, unless you just want it to have fun overclocking and running synthetic benchmarks... Not gonna make much of a real world difference, if at all, and the looser timings almost negate whatever small difference the clock speed bump would have.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

With current pricing the sweet spot's really around 1600/CL9, while paying no more than $3-4 per GB, tho 8GB kits are probably on the higher end of that than 16GB ones (I haven't really looked) and most people don't even need 16GB (if you do, you probably already know it!).

Last edited:
Yup, it'd be for overclocking.

You don't need faster RAM for overclocking, at all, what I meant was if you just wanted it to overclock the RAM itself for the pretty numbers and the fun of it all. Faster RAM's not gonna get you a better CPU OC if that's what you're getting at...

Not really, unless you just want it to have fun overclocking and running synthetic benchmarks... Not gonna make much of a real world difference, if at all, and the looser timings almost negate whatever small difference the clock speed bump would have.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

With current pricing the sweet spot's really around 1600/CL9, while paying no more than $3-4 per GB, tho 8GB kits are probably on the higher end of that than 16GB ones (I haven't really looked) and most people don't even need 16GB (if you do, you probably already know it!).

Does this also apply with SBe ? Although I do plan on overclocking (not fanatically, but if it's "free", why not?) and have a feeling 1600/c9 will be fine for me, I want to be sure I'm not missing out on something.

And FM2/FM1 "benefits" from faster RAM. As does FX chips to some extent.

Does this also apply with SBe ? Although I do plan on overclocking (not fanatically, but if it's "free", why not?) and have a feeling 1600/c9 will be fine for me, I want to be sure I'm not missing out on something.

Yeah, same, AMD stuff might be another story (specially lower end APU's).

these would be good for people upgrading their x58 systems, i just bought some 3 corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz kits for $35 over the weekend.

(please tell me i'm not wrong in thinking the 1st gen i7's can only do 24gb max :D)

Windows 7 Home Premium..max 16gb. Pro,Ultimate and Enterprise... 192GB

I got an email saying 10% off all memory until 12-7-2012 here is the code
This is for Desktop memory.
EMCJHND25

Back