Hot RTX 2080

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
My Blower RTX 2080 consistently stays at 84c during gameplay, is that too high for long term use?

Are you using any kind of manual fan control or simply allowing the card to handle the fan speed itself?

I'm asking because most stock fan profiles will allow the card to get way too hot. More customers will complain about a loud fan than a hot card - and by the time the heat kills the card, the warranty will likely have expired.

Use something like MSI Afterburner to set a manual fan curve. I usually set mine to hit 100% fan in the 60-65C range depending on the card. If you are hitting 84C even at 100% fan speed, then there could be other issues at play.

My Blower RTX 2080 consistently stays at 84c during gameplay, is that too high for long term use?

That's the default target temp for all reference nvidia cards. Most blower coolers are incapable of keeping 180W+ TDP cards from hitting this limit, so on cards like the 2080/2080Ti, you'll just see them constantly at that 84c target while the fans ramp up accordingly to try and compensate, along with thermal throttling dropping the boost steps to lower clocks/voltage/etc.

tl;dr

Card's functioning as expected of a 215W card with a blower cooler. It's not idea for performance, but it's nothing to worry about unless you're planning on keeping that card for way longer than its useful life (~5+yrs).

I've tried using Zotac Firestorm to rev up the fan to 100% which brings the card down to 54C. I haven't looked too deep for fan curve settings, but will try later. Or switch to MSI's Afterbruner.

It probably needs a re-paste/seat on the heatsink.

Yeap, tried that already. Makes no difference. But tried the fan curve profile, really helps, just that it becomes noisy. So, a better cooling is really the way to go. Will live with it for now.

Last edited:
I swore off blower style coolers after my experience with the Gainward GTX 680. It's usually worth paying the premium for better open-air designs.

That's the default target temp for all reference nvidia cards. Most blower coolers are incapable of keeping 180W+ TDP cards from hitting this limit, so on cards like the 2080/2080Ti, you'll just see them constantly at that 84c target while the fans ramp up accordingly to try and compensate, along with thermal throttling dropping the boost steps to lower clocks/voltage/etc.

tl;dr

Card's functioning as expected of a 215W card with a blower cooler. It's not idea for performance, but it's nothing to worry about unless you're planning on keeping that card for way longer than its useful life (~5+yrs).
Ja, it's a compromise to keep noise levels down that almost all blower cards hold 84C. This was around 45% fan on the Pascal blower. Increasing the fan to 100% cools the card down a lot, but you also have to live with the noise. It isn't the same annoying pitch the FX 5800 was, but it is at least just as loud.

I swore off blower style coolers after my experience with the Gainward GTX 680. It's usually worth paying the premium for better open-air designs.

What was your experience, that it was simply too loud?

I went with the blower design when I got a 680. It actually paid off big time because I ended up doing triple-SLI with 3 680 cards. New cards had cryptocurrency-mining inflated prices right at the time I was looking to upgrade and my X99 HEDT board could handle a 3rd card (was already using 2). I still use the three in my backup computer. Running 3 cards side-by-side would never have worked if they all had non-blower coolers. Being able to actually use the PCI-E slot below your videocard is nice, even if you're not trying to do multi-GPU.

Plus you get a free ring every time you clean it.

dustring.jpg

Not to sound redundant...but what paste did you use? I had purchased a used 1080 over a year ago. When I installed it, it would get to 100c. I then resat the heatsink and now get a constant 64c while in Furmark. I used Thermal Grizzly. It was recommend to me, and I'm recommending now. Just wow! Granted, it could simply just be a limit to it's cooling.

I've tried Artic Thermal Compound MX-2, MX-4, Artic Silver, same result. It runs 32C during normal use. Only when I play games when the GPU is stressed, where it might hover between 80-84.

Not to sound redundant...but what paste did you use? I had purchased a used 1080 over a year ago. When I installed it, it would get to 100c. I then resat the heatsink and now get a constant 64c while in Furmark. I used Thermal Grizzly. It was recommend to me, and I'm recommending now. Just wow! Granted, it could simply just be a limit to it's cooling.

If you had that big of a difference just due to thermal paste, it's more likely that the heatsink was previously installed wrong and you fixed the issue by removing it and re-installing it (nothing to do with the paste). The temperature difference between generic white paste and the best thermal paste is still going to be <5C in most cases.

What was your experience, that it was simply too loud?

I went with the blower design when I got a 680. It actually paid off big time because I ended up doing triple-SLI with 3 680 cards. New cards had cryptocurrency-mining inflated prices right at the time I was looking to upgrade and my X99 HEDT board could handle a 3rd card (was already using 2). I still use the three in my backup computer. Running 3 cards side-by-side would never have worked if they all had non-blower coolers. Being able to actually use the PCI-E slot below your videocard is nice, even if you're not trying to do multi-GPU.

Plus you get a free ring every time you clean it.

View attachment 243728

Did anyone ask you if you lived near an airport when you had that triple SLI set up?

Did anyone ask you if you lived near an airport when you had that triple SLI set up?

People just have different standards I guess. I spent years running a dual-Xeon system with 2x 60x38mm Delta EHE fans, so pretty much everything is whisper quiet compared to that.

Reactions: noko
like this
People just have different standards I guess. I spent years running a dual-Xeon system with 2x 60x38mm Delta EHE fans, so pretty much everything is whisper quiet compared to that.

I think I stopped tolerating really loud stuff 10 years ago or so. When I bought a VII that thing wasn't even that loud but it was still too noisy for my tastes.

Back