Hot Hard drive in Microfly

hotbrass

Weaksauce
I have a Western Digital WD800BB 80GB and a Seagate ST3250924AS 250GB hard drive in my Ultra microfly. The 250 is actually upside down in the floppy drive bay and runs at only 38 C. The 80GB is in the hard drive rack, but hits 55C when running a virus scan. At idle it's around 44C. Has anyone else had problems with this and if so what is a solution? Is there a way to get more air flow to the hard drive rack?

i have a microfly,and only have 1 hard drive.it only gets to 37c no matter what im doing.it is in the hard drive cage.

You just have an 80GB drive that naturally runs hot, especially if it's a few years old. The only I can think of to cool down that drive is replace the rear stock 120mm with another 120mm that exhausts more air out.

Well, I have a QPack2, but I know they're pretty similiar to the Microfly cases. So, you probably could squeeze in a pair of 40mm fans in front of the hard drive rack like I did. The SilenX fans I used came with these rubberized mounting peg things (meant to reduce fan to case vibration). The cool part was that the head on those was big enough so that I could poke it thru the vent holes in front of the HD cage, and the heads wouldn't pop back thru, so I didn't have to drill a single hole to mount them there.

If you want to visualize what I mean, take a look at the first picture in my thread, you'll see that depth-wise there is enough room in front of the cage.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1296249

Your other option would be to mount your other drive in the 5.25" bay. You could use one of the Sytrin drive racks, which would give you a pair of 40mm fans directly on it. Of course I'm assuming here that you've got a 5.25" bay open between your optical drive and that other HD in the floppy bay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150085

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured this hard drive ran hot, but it was getting getting close to max operating temp, so I was a little concerned. I had already replaced the stock 120mm fan with a higher CFM Yate Loon, and it helped a bit, but really not enough. Thanks for the suggestion of the 40mm fans cyberdeity. I think I'll give that a shot. I have a Sunbeam fan controller and a ton of cables crammed into my other 5.25" bay. :)

Either A. stick a fan on it or B. get a newer drive. That 80GB drive is ancient technology, still uses loud ball bearings and run horribly slow. It would be worth it to replace it, even if you don't need the space. Don't store anything important on it.

I velcroed a fanmate adjusted 50mm to the inside front panel, over the two Raptors so it pushes the air off toward the 120mm exhaust. They still run hot, but it does helps. You could squeeze 2 x 60mm's in there if you wanted to.

something i did with a qpack to help cool it.i drilled holes in one of the 5.25 bay covers,and added a couple 40mm fans behind it.

100_0197.jpg

you can do what I did,

Get a cooler like this:

http://www.svc.com/hd815.html

You will be limited to 1 HDD and you have to mount it in the outer slot. You may have to notch it in spots for clearance but it will get some air moving and keep the drive a bit cooler.

I think I'm just going to get a new drive that runs cooler and quieter. I would like to get a 500GB, but I am limited on funds. Any suggestions on ultra-quiet drives that won't break the bank?

What's your budget? A 500GB drive can be had for $90 these days.

I can't spend any more than $100 on a new hard drive and that even stings a little, so I definitely want to get the best bang for my buck.

I repalced all my fan's with silentx, and I also mounted a 120mm silentx fan on top of the box blowing in. this dropped my cpu temps 5c, motherboard is at 36c, and my HDD's are running only 10 F above room temp. I think i can get the cpu down another 5-8c by installing a Zalman CNPS8700NT.

I'm going to get a new hard drive when I have the money to do so. For now, I've wired an old P4 CPU fan in the hard drive rack with the hot drive. It's brought the temperatures down 7C. I also put a Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan in. I've found that covering the vents under the 120mm fan on the back helps drops temps throughout the case as well. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Back