Hot deals for folders

Any one know of some cheapish 2p mobos? I would be in for 2 if i can get a mobo under $200

Is this a hot deal?

OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

From the 'Egg. $100 after a $30 MIR.

Starts at 6pm Pacific time today.

I need another PSU. What do ya'll think?

Wow... if I didn't have like five of the 650-850w units sitting around already... great PSUs.

Was thinking the g34 variety for the 8 core cpus a few posts back. If i could get a few intel hex for $150 a pop i would be all over the sr2 tho lol.

I don't see a lot of boards listed. Are they coming out with a rev 2 with the new bios?

No idea. It's frustrating though. There isn't anything even on ebay under full retail price. I think 1/2 the reason these g34 cpus are so cheap is because you have to spend a fortune on the mobo.

I could buy a 3930k and a mobo for not much more than these cpus and a full price mobo. I would get way more ppd. The 2p g34s need to be ~200 for them to be a good bang for the $ IMHO.

Edit: With those cpus atleast

Last edited:
I would say that the reason the G34 chips are inexpensive is that they are coming out of server farms that are upgrading to IL.

They can recoup more of their upgrade cost by selling them on ebay to people like use than selling them for gold recovery.

edit: I said server farms not folding farms, two different animals ;)

Last edited:
Looking at Interlagos ppd results I doubt it. Turns out they aren't much faster and use a lot more power. Many of us g34 owners planned on picking up cheap 12 core magnycours when interlagos hit and people upgraded but that didn't happen.

Please keep this thread on topic - post hot deals that are available. If you would like advise on what to buy, start a different thread.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140665934127?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:BIN&_trksid=p3984.m1432.l2650

He will accept an offer of $1000 for one and $933 for two. (That is what I was told)

More detailed specs HERE. Other things worth noting:
- This is the more expensive "old" SM board with 2 x PCI-e x 16 and 2 x PCI-e x8 slots
- The HSFs are passive models - they look pretty good actually, but I don't think anyone has tried them yet.
- The fans are scarey - 80mm x 35mm and 6500 max RPM - I did not see a dB spec, but it has to be insane at full speed - and there are 6 of them.
- Yes, it can be overclocked

The more I look at this thing, the more I like it. The noise might be a problem for some. If you are looking for one heck of a starting platform, with a case, this is a very nice option.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That is pretty awesome... get $400 worth of 6128's and $1400 32 core system that one can OC...

Oh and it comes with rails... yikes hold me back!

The SNK-P0043P heatsinks are OK but will need plenty of airflow to keep things cool. I installed them as a stopgap measure on a 4 x 6128HE rig. Things got pretty toasty even with a 12" desk fan blowing over them so as a further stopgap Gentle Typhoons were blutacked to the top of them which also served to cool the m/b.

IMG_0097v1.jpg

This works fine with temps sitting at no more than 20-25 degrees over ambient temp (currently at 39 degrees C) when folding or crunching at full load. Lethargy has led to it becoming the permanent solution although I'm not sure how well it would deal with dodecas.

New Egg has some email specials to, I presume, limited parties based upon recent purchases.

A Token of Thanks: Exclusive Coupons on Your Choice of Components!

Check your email.

Few coupons @ Newegg:
10% OFF All Desktop Memory = BTENJNA34
10% OFF All Flash Memory = BTENJNA36
10% OFF All USB Drives = BTENJNA35
20% OFF All Recertified HDDs = BTENJNA29
25% OFF All Rosewill Network Cables = BTENJNA22

72-hour coupons.

Few coupons @ Newegg:
10% OFF All Desktop Memory = BTENJNA34
10% OFF All Flash Memory = BTENJNA36
10% OFF All USB Drives = BTENJNA35
20% OFF All Recertified HDDs = BTENJNA29
25% OFF All Rosewill Network Cables = BTENJNA22

72-hour coupons.

Thanks, picked up an extra HDD for $18 deliverd

For those wanting to Mine, BOINC or Fold with the new AMD 7970's, you can get a Visiontech HD7970 with Lifetime warranty for $560 - 5%CB through shopdiscover and it comes with free shipping. The cheapest I've seen for a lifetime warrantied 7970. Tempted to snag one.

What is a good deal on a Xeon X5650 these days?

There are frequently Extra Seductive L5640's on Ebay for $300-350, so a good deal on a X5650 strongly depends on (1) what board you have and (2) whether it is ES or not.
If you want a dual hex, your best bang for the buck is probably two L5640's on a B-Stock SR-2 (which is back in stock!).

I currentley have 2x L5640 ES on a asus z8na-d6. But i got an offer of buying a X5650 none es for 550usd. Not sure i will have the use for it. But seems like an OK price. so might buy it and sell it to someone who has more use of it. Question is. is 550 a good price.

Also have another z8na-d6 with 2x e5540 but dont know if 2x e5540 or one x5650 is the better choice.

Always good to have one ore two of these on hand.

/snatch

Jump on it boys. Those are very good coolers, top class when you factor in the price. It doesn't get any better.

I was going to put 4 of them for sale.. After this.. I won't even bother :D

Back