Hot deal, Great Speakers

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers to add to my rec room. I'd connect them to a receiver that's in my family room using my receiver's "dual zone" feature. Would these speakers work well? I'm concerned that they only go as low as 125 Hz. There are no reviews posted on buy.com, but I'm sure AVS Forum and other places have them (I didn't search yet). Thanks.

Edit: Another pair of bookshelf speakers I'm considering is AV123's x-ls speakers, which cost more (starting at $165/pair + ship) and are physically larger, but go much deeper (down to 55 Hz). I'm already familiar w/ AV123 since I bought their tower speakers for my family room HTS.

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers to add to my rec room. I'd connect them to a receiver that's in my family room using my receiver's "dual zone" feature. Would these speakers work well? I'm concerned that they only go as low as 125 Hz. There are no reviews posted on buy.com, but I'm sure AVS Forum and other places have them (I didn't search yet). Thanks.

They're good speakers but have no appreciable bass whatsoever.

It would be a good idea to add an inexpensive sub to go with them.

Thanks, but I wouldn't be able to add a sub since I'd run these speakers in a smaller room (rec room) attached to a receiver that's a couple rooms away. So I'd need a pair of bookshelf speakers that can provide decent bass, such as what I mentioned in my previous (edited) post.

Hell must have frozen over, Kumquat and I agree on something;):D

I think you will find a much higher level of clarity with the Boston speakers and in these models they do make their own drivers.

As a rule speakers like Boston Acoustics and Paradigm are designed from the ground up with pieces made to work together.

Most of the internet only speakers are made in China and while I won’t say they sound bad I’ve yet to listen to any that I would call true HI FI.

The Boston’s were designed to work with a sub and frankly any speaker in that size range claiming lower frequency response simply can’t beat the laws of physics.

I don’t think a few moments looking for reviews on the web will be a waste of your time:)

Those are not appropriate for a room. Those are small near-field speakers intended for desk use. They will distort at much lower volumes and have very poor clarity when used in, say, a rec room or something like that.

Not to mention that sub will never see 31 htz unless you put about 200 volts DC to it, once.

Not a bad deal at all. My main issue with BA is that even though they make decent speakers, they are usually a little over priced compared to their performance.

I would probably not purchase these myself, I would opt for a little more money and go after the great deals you can find on the Polk RTi4 speakers.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=28511

You'd might as well link to a pair of headphones. Those are not the same type of speakers that these are.

LOL!! You obviously haven't heard Klipsch speakers before. Let's just put it this way, my neighbors hate me. :D

LOL!! You obviously haven't heard Klipsch speakers before. Let's just put it this way, my neighbors hate me. :D

bet you're one of those guys with quad 15" subwoofers in your car with stock car speakers rolling around your street bumping the bass :D :D :D

No, really. By linking to a set of 2.1 computer speakers you clearly have no clue what is is going on in this thread.

yeah I have those polks, sounds really nice for home theater usage, pretty good for music for what they cost also.

I think these are the same price as people were grabbing 4 a piece on black friday at fry's :) good deal.

I have that set of Klipsch speakers. I just know enough about audio to understand that you don't use them for the same purposes that these Bostons are designed for.

Not a bad deal at all. My main issue with BA is that even though they make decent speakers, they are usually a little over priced compared to their performance.

I would probably not purchase these myself, I would opt for a little more money and go after the great deals you can find on the Polk RTi4 speakers.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=28511

Here are those speakers in black, although it's only available as pre-order, whereas the wood veneer one tazz linked to is available now.

Hell must have frozen over, Kumquat and I agree on something;):D

I think you will find a much higher level of clarity with the Boston speakers and in these models they do make their own drivers.

As a rule speakers like Boston Acoustics and Paradigm are designed from the ground up with pieces made to work together.

Most of the internet only speakers are made in China and while I won’t say they sound bad I’ve yet to listen to any that I would call true HI FI.

The Boston’s were designed to work with a sub and frankly any speaker in that size range claiming lower frequency response simply can’t beat the laws of physics.

I don’t think a few moments looking for reviews on the web will be a waste of your time:)

You do not know what the hell you are talking about. You are giving 100% false information in regards to the internet direct companies, and B&M companies like BA and Paradigm.

Hell, you might want to check where those are designed and made. Pull out the drivers, where were those assembled? You also may want to check who makes the speaker cabinets, as AV123 makes them for some of the big boy B&M lines. Yup, that is right, the same companies you claim are so much better because the other ones are made in china, are in fact made in china, many of which have their cabinets assembled by one of the internet direct companies themselves.

Internet direct companies do not design speakers with componets that work together? com on, pal. You can not possible be that ignorant to think only B&M lines do so.

In regard to av123, you may just want to do some research into who owns them, and exactly what he has done for the audio industry over the last few decades.

Wow, what have you listened to then?

Check out SVS, Axiom Audio, Ascend Acoustics, HSU Research, and AV123.

What ID companies have you heard? Bic??

Hey if we're going to turn this into an audio deal thread then here's a few more to check out.

Do a search for the Mission M70S here ( won't link directly, $69 a pair): http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/tsto.storefront
- M70S info thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=803330

Do a search for Advent H400 floorstanders, open box, $119 a pair (won't link directly): http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/tsto.storefront
- Advent info thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=718950

And for the DIY'ers here's an Elemental designs EHQS12 12" sub driver on clearance for $13.50 (2 ohm): http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=183
- Wire two of them in series for a 4ohm load: http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
- Convenient google search link ;): http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZHZ_enUS234US234&q=EHQS12

I knew you would show up here eventually with some more audio deals, SJet. Good to see you in the mix!

This is so bad. I was looking to setup surround sound along with my new HD LCD. So tempting to get those m70s. Seems great for the price. Now I just need to locate a receiver

AV123 makes their speakers in Bali, Colombia. I have 5 AV123 speakers (x-series) for my HTS. :cool:

It's only the enclosures that are built in those 3rd-world countries, and perhaps overall assembly, testing, packaging, etc. The drivers, crossovers, etc are manufactured elsewhere. But it still makes a difference; enclosures are a large part of the acoustics and need to be assembled with skill and care and good materials.

Whats a good matching center speaker for the Advent H400?
The advent H-center. The only problem is the series has been discontinued and very few places have them in stock. You can try searching google and ebay though, or you can email these merchants to see if they're truly in stock: http://www.google.com/products?q=advent+heritage+center&btnG=Search&show=dd.

I have heard a few people say that the Mission M series sounds a lot like the advent heritage series (laid back, flat, not bright, aka classic british). But you're taking a chance when you mix and match speakers since they may not sound the same and will ultimately annoy or distract you.

You do not know what the hell you are talking about. You are giving 100% false information in regards to the internet direct companies, and B&M companies like BA and Paradigm.

Hell, you might want to check where those are designed and made. Pull out the drivers, where were those assembled? You also may want to check who makes the speaker cabinets, as AV123 makes them for some of the big boy B&M lines. Yup, that is right, the same companies you claim are so much better because the other ones are made in china, are in fact made in china, many of which have their cabinets assembled by one of the internet direct companies themselves.

Internet direct companies do not design speakers with componets that work together? com on, pal. You can not possible be that ignorant to think only B&M lines do so.

In regard to av123, you may just want to do some research into who owns them, and exactly what he has done for the audio industry over the last few decades.

Doing my best to follow the rules, if you would like to discuss this subject in genmay I’ll be happy to make an ass of you.

Having spent countless days at both the BA plant and the Paradigm plant and actually watching them both make and assemble drivers, in house, this should be fun.

Pm me with time and place, please.

Doing my best to follow the rules, if you would like to discuss this subject in genmay I’ll be happy to make an ass of you.

Having spent countless days at both the BA plant and the Paradigm plant and actually watching them both make and assemble drivers, in house, this should be fun.

It's OK that you don't have a lot of experience with many of the ID companies. Most people don't.

I'd heavily suggest that you start looking into Ascend, SVS, Axiom, and AV123. Read reviews, have some listens. Good stuff.

It's OK that you don't have a lot of experience with many of the ID companies. Most people don't.

I'd heavily suggest that you start looking into Ascend, SVS, Axiom, and AV123. Read reviews, have some listens. Good stuff.
Hint # 1: The older manufacturers have axes to grind with ID (internet direct companies). And from what i understand, recently most of the old-line manufacturers have actually been sub-contracting a lot of their drivers to chinese factories. There's been plenty of discussions on this, and it turns out that very few US companies actually manufacture their drivers in the US any more. Not sure about BA and paradigm though i'm thinking about taking apart my Atoms to settle this debate :p

And to bring this thread back on topic, here's a deal on some barebone Class-D amplifiers for all of these speakers :D:
- Deal link: http://electronics.search.ebay.com/_Home-Audio_W0QQcatrefZC2QQsacatZ14969QQsassZsureelectronics
- research thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111147

Made an ass of yourself, actually.

I gave numerous ways in which B&M speaker lines can be made/assembled in china. From drivers to cabinets. You specifically grabbed one that you know is done here and somehow act as if that makes none of the other ways exist, or that all must be done in China or none are.

Just because something is made in China does not mean it is poor quality. Just like any other country, a company's quality is tied to that company. Some cut corners, and produce crap. Some proudly produce quality. Most meet or exceed ISO standards.

This also applies to audio equipment. You would be surprised how many highly regarded pieces of equipement are rebadged units from china. Music Hall is a great example, some of the best rated 'bang for the buck,' of which many of them are rebadged units from China.

You were, in fact, spreading incorrect information stemming from your ignorance.

The polks seem like a steal at 150 shipped damn i want them seems like everyone likes them. Id put these in my bed room with the rest of my home entertainment should be good for movies

<bad joke>
Just don't lick the lead-laced Chinese speakers.
</bad joke>

The polks seem like a steal at 150 shipped damn i want them seems like everyone likes them. Id put these in my bed room with the rest of my home entertainment should be good for movies

They are awesome. Best value on speakers I have seen in a long time. The are VERY tall though, about 3 feet+. The will have to go on the floor likely.

First, you changed the words of my argument to suite your argument. I don’t recall mentioning anything about B&M speaker companies either in general or specifically.

I mentioned Boston Acoustics and Paradigm. Both of these companies do build their own drivers and cabinets from scratch with one general exception. Nobody is going to break into the $250.00 a pair or less speaker market by doing everything in house these days. It should be clear that current economics just won’t allow that to happen.

Paradigm as a company is totally unique and unmatched by any other company building speakers. They are the only company capable of first doing all their driver design work in house, passing that information to the CAD guys who then pass their final design specs to the CNC guys who machine the piece in question, on the spot, on the same factory floor.

The finished part is then passed on to the testing section. Paradigm happens to own the second largest anechoic testing facility in the world. The largest is nearby and owned by the Canadian Government NRC.

After testing a part decisions are then made about what needs to be changed and the process starts over again until they get exactly what they want. The end benefit of all this work is simple. You don’t have to select random drivers from various companies that come close to meeting your needs thus you don’t need to modify and make strange crossover designs and rework cabinet designs to come out with something that just sounds ok.

The original folks behind this type of design process are of all people the Canadian government who formed the NRC for one purpose, to allow Canada to have some product what were undisputedly the best in the world. About as much money as the US spends on NASA was spent on this project and every company in Canada invited cajoled and paid to participate. The NRC was where the famed Mirage Bi-Polar was designed as well as many other products produced by Mirage and numerous other Canadian companies. What sets Paradigm aside is simply, they were smart enough to take the whole concept home with them and duplicate the process.

When Paradigm decided to enter the powered sub woofer arena building the woofer driver was a snap as was building the cabinet, but they had to go shopping for an amplifier. After the shopping experience failed they did the obvious. They purchased the best AMP Company they could find and moved the whole thing lock stock and people to their facility in Canada and did a full redesign to meet their needs.

A few years later they decided to leverage their subwoofer amplifier division into a true HIFI audio product to match their speakers. That didn’t work out so well, the design parameters needed were too different so the adaptation idea was passed over, at least for the moment.

The company continued to shop for a good design and fell upon Sonic Frontiers, a vacuum tube oriented audio company who made a great product but was having serious money problems.

Again, Paradigm did the obvious, purchased the entire company lock stock and people and moved the whole damn thing to Canada to their own facility. In the end they came up with ANTHEM electronics line which like their speakers remains not only successful but in this world of the death of the HIFI Company these guys continue to grow.

Ya, I know, its one company. It is however a company that produces a product that does as it says it will. They reproduce music as accurately as possible, period.

I’m tired of typing and no doubt you are tired of reading by now so I’ll get to BA later if that’s ok.

http://www.anthemav.com/

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/news/

Allow me to add; you won’t find Paradigm for sale on the net and the reason is simple. Those who have tried either lost their franchise and or were sued into oblivion. Paradigm unlike most other companies are dead set on building the best product for the money possible and they tend to defend that stance rather fiercely.

What difference does that make to you the consumer?

Ask Rockford Fosgate. They lost two battles in the California courts regarding franchising and mail order / internet sales. As a company they pretty much said fuck it and became the push line for Best Buy and several mail order and net sites. While you might said “GOOD” anyone who ever worked with their older product will be happy to tell you how the product is nowhere near the same. The consumer lost on that one.

Back