Hot deal for best buy employees on 6800gtoc

I was messing around with the inventory system this morning and found the 6800s. Our employee price is really good on it. 6800 128 oc is $230 instead of the 299.99 and the 6800 gt oc 256mb is $310 instead of the 399.99 Im just waiting for my store to get more in b/c we sold them with doom 3:p

wonder if compusa gets the same price, gota ask tha hookupz, and the 6800 128 is the vanilla version? 400/700 core/mem? or is the oc higher?

Don't wait for your store to get them. Use RSS to see if other store in your area has them.

woohoo! I just applied at BB, and that's the card I was going to get!
what is the employee discount anyways? I computed that to 22% off.

Their employee discount varies from department to department with car audio having the biggest discount(or so I hear).

guys i was going to apply at compusa and bestbuy this week any way, what is the best way to go about doing it?

the employee discount at bby is cost + 5% so yes its more in carfi. Like they have a 400 dollar jvc head unit with touch screen and its mp3 an best buy employees get it for 175:p I just picked up a sony sa-wm500 12in subwoofer for 100 bucks. I get really good deals tho cause i work on what they call the corporate project team(resets on stores and opening new stores) and we travel all around. For example i got a 40 gb ipod with the cable and the power adapter for 30 bucks cause it came off of display :)

DryFire said:
guys i was going to apply at compusa and bestbuy this week any way, what is the best way to go about doing it?

yeah when they ask you if you know how to sell a service plan sell one to their ass. This will get you $10/hr at the start. BTW truck blows, enjoy it :D

Pac-Man said:
Their employee discount varies from department to department with car audio having the biggest discount(or so I hear).

not really, go check out those $129 THX component cables they are like $29 bucks for BB people :eek:

merciless18t said:
the employee discount at bby is cost + 5% so yes its more in carfi. Like they have a 400 dollar jvc head unit with touch screen and its mp3 an best buy employees get it for 175:p I just picked up a sony sa-wm500 12in subwoofer for 100 bucks. I get really good deals tho cause i work on what they call the corporate project team(resets on stores and opening new stores) and we travel all around. For example i got a 40 gb ipod with the cable and the power adapter for 30 bucks cause it came off of display :)

I hate you, lol, jk, jk

When I'm 16, I plan to apply at Best Buy...

i dont thingk you have to be sixteen, but maybe you do. I started in 2001 but i was 18. i worked 1 year in the media(cd, games, dvd) department then i was asked if i wanted to go on the "project team" so i jumped on it. I've seen so many places since i joined the team that i wouldn't have if i didn't. I live in va and travel to all these stores mostly, but on the 21st im going to cali for a month to remodel a store. I also get this thing called per diem, which its money for me to live off of when im out of town(30 min or more away from home). The per diem is 35 bucks a day. If i dont spend it, i pocket it. Its awesome. They pay for mileage, airfare, and hotels so that per diem is just butter.

Working at Best Buy sucks. I worked there for 10 months last year. Late nights with low pay doing demeaning work. The discount is awesome, but you never have any money if you work there.

Retail sucks.

This summer I got a job working as a CSR for a large retail chain. I talk on the phone all day and make ~$12 an hour. Much better than unloading trucks and doing clean & bright.

XXX-OWNEDBYME-XXX said:
how old do you have to b to work at best buy can you apply when you 16?

Well, I'm waiting so that I can drive and not drag my parents around all over the place

New employees have to work 30 days? (maybe more) to be eligible for any discount

my store got two of them in this morning, one was bought 10 minutes after we opened and the other was stolen...damn the luck, i didn't get there until 3 this afternoon. Instead I ended up with a 6800nu which while not the GT is a step up from the ti4200 i was using.

I used to work for CompUSA for 4 years... left last Oct..... as long as your a tech or a cashier then your ok... but sales start and end at $7.75/h and no rasies at all.... at least in cali, but from what the managers are telling me that thats nation wide, I couldent stand it, not haveing more money kinda thing... but for there "cost" is just that cost... what ever the computer says is cost is what ya pay for... and I know thats not what they buy it for, tho I still know people there I could get the cost if I needed it.. and I might for the 6800 Gt

anything is better than working at office-smax, err officemax. I worked there for 2 years under the dictatorship of the nazi regime. I did electronics sales mostly, but by the end they ended up making me a sales leader so I had to walk around and talk all day in a headset to all other employees, like little mini pep talks and reminding everyone keep trynig to sell the max ass*urance polocies. ARGH!!! and the worst part was that our DM woould randomly sit in our parking lot listening in and chew out my boss if I didn't talk enough, or didn't announce every single person who enters the store, and then my boss would proceed to chew my arse till his face turned blue. But I did my job well and ended up from 7.50 -> 9.00 /hr by the time i left, but hours were a luxury. I worked like 35 hour weeks in the begining but dropped to like 24 if I was lucky. so the pay increase meant shit. Oh well, At least you guys get a discount on shit at BB. Most we had was 5% off marked prices for electronics, and 10% for supplies. Bullshit.... hehehe thats all the past now. I make 14.25/hr as a network analyst at this Bioresearch Firm. I love it. Never looked back. My boss has a bit of Napoleanism (even a word??) freakin short guy who thinks he is a God amongst men!! LOLOL OK RANT OFF!

Best Buy is alright...I get pretty good hours at 7.50 an hour...not the best pay, but I am getting a raise soon enough. There is no way I could live off 7.50 but since I still live with my dad its a lot better. I hated truck nights...I had to stay there til almost 1 am one night...that sucked majorly..but now that I got the LP position I get off one hour after store closing...which is a lot better...

The discount kicks major ass if you know how to use it.

exactly. And yes you have 2 wait 30 days to get your discount, but its well worth it. Im going on a hunt for a 6800 gt oc today. If anyone wants to buy a 9800 xt 256 let me know :p

StrongBadia said:
Best Buy generally won't hire anyone under 18. The managers don't like dealing with the hassle.

I worked at stores 238 and 239 and the majority of the employees were always 16-18.

And yes, you have to work there 30 days before your discount goes into effect.

I worked in the Beaumont, TEXAS store. Not sure of the number anymore, but this was before they turned into total ass-pirates on discount and TOR's (any old timers remember under $100 is half price TOR's?)

BTW there is an employee accomodation from BFG for Best Buy employees also ;)

The best buy I work at is 16 with a workers permit.

I don't want to put which store I work at...for personal reasons :)

But yes...I found the 90 off the video card when it came in...get a PSP on top of that...neverneed a new card for 2 years..and reknew the plan...sweet!!

TheComputerguy said:
Best Buy is alright...I get pretty good hours at 7.50 an hour...not the best pay, but I am getting a raise soon enough. There is no way I could live off 7.50 but since I still live with my dad its a lot better. I hated truck nights...I had to stay there til almost 1 am one night...that sucked majorly..but now that I got the LP position I get off one hour after store closing...which is a lot better...

that is the lowest pay i have ever heard of anybody at best buy getting... i've worked there for two years

you guys from best buy posting in here really need to learn your benefits...

BFG offers a rebate check to best buy employees, they send you the difference for at cost for the card +10% back...
so realistically it's even cheaper than $310

/go to toolkit, employee self service, home page of self service, employee accomadations, computers, BFG...

Hmmm, they are building a Best Buy about 2 miles from my house in Surprise, AZ ... maybe I'll apply for a seasonal p/t position as I will probably be buying a video card during the holidays :)

I worked at BB from 1997-2000 and the discounts are nice, shit pay but worked great as I was in college and they were very flexible. I remember getting a bonus check as our store inventory was half decent and I used that money to buy a Voodoo 2 card ... just 1 and it was $199 if I remember correctly.

MeXPuNk3r said:
you guys from best buy posting in here really need to learn your benefits...

BFG offers a rebate check to best buy employees, they send you the difference for at cost for the card +10% back...
so realistically it's even cheaper than $310

/go to toolkit, employee self service, home page of self service, employee accomadations, computers, BFG...

pwnd by 3 posts!

I posted that right before you did :D

I really don't need a 2nd job, I'm 23 and doing graphics work at a newspaper, but I don't have much of a life, no friends I hang out with or serious other. So I'm almost looking for a 2nd as a way for extra cash and not wasting my time at home.

I have a serious question about working at a place like Best Buy. For those that work in the hardware department, like video cards, desktops, etc. How do I word this... When you are helping a customer on the floor, do you go about helping them the way you feel is best for the customer and moral, or do you have to follow devious guidelines to get the most money out of the customer, like a system with more stuff than the user needs or worthless warranties and other tricks. I'm asking as I wouldn't be able to that if I couldn't not act in the best interest of the customer.

Like when I was there buying a laptop. On warranties, I can understand on a laptop, that's something always to consider. Though the way a Best Buy employee went about trying to sell me a warranty was the thing about batteries. he said, todays batteries really only have a short shelf life, which is kind of true that even with minimal use the battery could die in only a year. But then the employee said a battery would be $234 to replace, I'm like wow, that is pretty high. I declined the $250 something warranty since I was only buying a laptop for $600 after $450 in rebates. The next day I notice just right on the shelf they actually carried the batteries for this laptop, and they were only $133 each, not $230 something.

I wouldn't mind asking if they'd like to buy a warranty, but I wouldn't like using scare tatics by saying things that generally would not happen or blown out of proportion, which happens a lot when buying a tv too.

Damn, I just got the job and now I need to wait 30 days for my discount.

Oh well :(

Just so you know, "cost" can mean a bunch of different things in the corporate world. It could mean, what the store paid the manufacturer for the unit, but don’t get your hopes up. “Cost” is usually just short for “total cost”, which is what the store paid the manufacturer for the unit plus any number of the following: cost of having the unit shipped to the retail store, cost of having an employee take it out of a box and put it on display, cost of having that unit take up a certain amount of shelf space in a well lit, heated and air conditioned store, cost of having LP keep their cameras on the isles so no one ganks the product, cost of having the box reshrinkwrapped in the back of the store after LP goes to lunch and some punk kid tries the baggy t-shirt and down the pants routine with said video card and no one at the store wants the $400 item to show up as shrink, etc….

Thanks,

scojo_az

The guy saying batteries are 233$ or whatever was just estimating.. most batteries ordered through our part search are between 150-250$.. and that is what I tell customers.

Another big strategy that I use when selling the PSP (waranty), is the cost of diagnosis. We have in-store techs where they can bring their laptop in, and our techs have one of the best turn-around time in the company (top 5 out of 650ish). I tell them that a normal diagnosis fee runs 30-90$ depending on where you take it to down, then if I need to, I explain to them times in the past before I knew anything about computers - and the times I had to spend 60$ for some really stupid stuff. The service covers this.

Now, working on the floor - they really expect you to work like you are on comission, but they also tell you that customer is number one priority - complete sollution, service, blah blah..

But, two times now, I have talked to a customer, and decided that they did not NEED the service, so I didn't mention it. I was written up both times. My boss is a really good guy though, and its easy working there.

If I was to re-apply, I would try to be a tech. They typically make a bit more and have a funner/more stressfull job fixing computers all day..

filled out an application on teh net.

no response yet after like 2 days.

I def want to be a tech or just sell computers.

Back