[HOT] D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless Gaming Router $81.99 w/ Free Shipping from Fry's!

That is a hot price. I was about to buy DIR-655 for $120 from Circuit City, but this might be too good to pass up. I don't have any N device any way.

That is a damn good deal !! I did just get the DIR-655 though and I did also get the matching N adapter for the laptop and I must admit that wireless N speed is incredible. Wireless on the laptop is just like if it were on a wired connection.

I've had one of these for around two years now, and it's a darn good router. This is a great deal on it too.

Well they are out of stock online @ Frys.com with no eta on resupply...:(

I picked one up at a local store for $99.99. This is way better than my Linksys.

That is a hot price. I was about to buy DIR-655 for $120 from Circuit City, but this might be too good to pass up. I don't have any N device any way.

Thanks for telling me about the DIR-655. I hadn't looked at routers in awhile so I didn't know the DGL-4300 now has a big brother. I took a printout of CC's web price and had BB price match it. So now I'm a proud owner of a DIR-655. :D

This couldn't have come at a better time for me. At the Egg, this thing's still $125+ shipping. I bet I get it on Tuesday morning, too.

Somone give me a good pci card to go in my htpc with this router :( From frys too :p
I know next to nothing about routers and such so The price sounds right ..

Would this router make a big difference compared to my WRT54G??

Unless you transfer lots of data via network/wireless to and from multiple computers in your house no. It's really not going to affect your regular internet performance in my own personal experience. Now it does run better out of the box for bittorrent etc but I suggest checking out a program called dd-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php) which should fix any of those issues.

Anyways your mileage may vary but as I said you'll see network side perfomrance increase due to the faster gigabit as long as you have gigabit nic's and probably faster wireless all specs in order. Internet access though should be about the same.

Edit:

All of the above didn't stop me from upgrading from my WRT54G and kicking it over to the girlfriend. I like my shinies ><

well it's nice to hear d-link actually produces something worth buying these days.

why are these gaming routers so freakin' expensive!!

does it truly make that much of a diff? how do these compare to the bigfoot nics... i mean... i game on PC and on my xbox360 (GOW), but will i really see a diff getting a gaming router rather than my 4port wired netgear? thanks in advance...

Hi all, I ended up getting the D-Link DIR-655, which is justed an updated version of the DGL-4300. Does it make a difference compared to other routers?

The answer is it depends. If you're using a single connection at a time, i.e. one computer at a time and only doing a couple things that use up bandwidth, then no, it won't make that big of a difference. If you only game on your router and nothing else, or just stream media, or just surf, this is not going to make a difference.

What these routers do best (the DGL-4300 and DIR-655) is handling multiple connections while maintaining optimal speeds. Like someone mentioned before, it's great for torrents or streaming media while gaming, surfing the internet, chatting, etc all at the same time. That's where this router makes the biggest difference. I could be doing all those things and not experience any lag or very little. So the strength of the router is keeping multiple connections a high connection speeds.

Try doing that with a regular router. You internet speeds will slow to a crawl or the router will simply lock up.

In short, it's a great buy and well worth the money if it suits your internet needs.

Hi all, I ended up getting the D-Link DIR-655, which is justed an updated version of the DGL-4300. Does it make a difference compared to other routers?

The answer is it depends. If you're using a single connection at a time, i.e. one computer at a time and only doing a couple things that use up bandwidth, then no, it won't make that big of a difference. If you only game on your router and nothing else, or just stream media, or just surf, this is not going to make a difference.

What these routers do best (the DGL-4300 and DIR-655) is handling multiple connections while maintaining optimal speeds. Like someone mentioned before, it's great for torrents or streaming media while gaming, surfing the internet, chatting, etc all at the same time. That's where this router makes the biggest difference. I could be doing all those things and not experience any lag or very little. So the strength of the router is keeping multiple connections a high connection speeds.

Try doing that with a regular router. You internet speeds will slow to a crawl or the router will simply lock up.

In short, it's a great buy and well worth the money if it suits your internet needs.

I have the netgear 4port router, and two gigabit switches connected to it. I torrent on my server all day and run a Steam Server... and play my xbox360... when I die in GoW, I browse on my PC... no big issues yet... when I host GoW, every 20-30min it does that "low connection" thingy for a few seconds and that's it... it doesn't bother me @ all cuz almost everyone's server in that game does it, but I'm guessing this router would prevent that?

Does this router work well with other switches connected to it in addition?

I'm not sure if this router will fix your problem or not. Glad to hear you're not having any problems with your router though. I also had a 4port Netgear router, WGR614. Same model as the D-Link with the same number. When I loaded up more than 2 or 3 torrents, play games, and dowloanding trailers etc, my internet would slow down considerably while surfing and eventually the router would lock up.

A lot of my friends had the same problems with different ISP's, using different routers, and in different states. The ones that upgraded to a DGL-4300 haven't had any problems since. And I haven't had any issues with the DIR-655 either.

...when I host GoW, every 20-30min it does that "low connection" thingy for a few seconds and that's it... it doesn't bother me @ all cuz almost everyone's server in that game does it, but I'm guessing this router would prevent that?

Does this router work well with other switches connected to it in addition?

Yes it should be able to prevent that, if that is caused by your current router. The newer high end Dlink routers (4300, 655) fully support QoS functionality. This means you can tell the router to give maximum (or higher) priority to game traffic over web surfing or torrent traffic. When it's booted it tests the connection speeds for both upload and download and then regulated traffic based on the rules you define. I cannot see why it would have any problem with other switches connected to it.

Yes it should be able to prevent that, if that is caused by your current router. The newer high end Dlink routers (4300, 655) fully support QoS functionality. This means you can tell the router to give maximum (or higher) priority to game traffic over web surfing or torrent traffic. When it's booted it tests the connection speeds for both upload and download and then regulated traffic based on the rules you define. I cannot see why it would have any problem with other switches connected to it.

what if i OVERCLOCKED my router? lol... i wonder if i could... lol... i mean, i do OC everything else... heck you could even OC your mouse!!!

Would this router make a big difference compared to my WRT54G??

It depends if you are having problems obviously. It could help, i was using a netgear wgr614, it was actually my friends router and I had problems joining wc3 games and other connection issues. I got the dir655(wanted the dgl4300 but was out of stock and found out this was updated version) and havent had any problems. Join games fine and torrent, this is a solid router.

But if you aren't having connection problems obviously you don't need a different router.

Just received shipping notification. It was OOS when I ordered 3/12 but figured they
would honor the price. As you can see, they did.

QTY ITEM DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
1 4315795 D-Link DGL4300 108g Game Wireless-G 108Mbps 79.99
PRODUCT 79.99
TAX 4.88
POSTAGE & HANDLING 0.00
TOTAL $ 84.87

This is now $73.99 shipped free.

Just so you guys know... 2 months ago (see few posts up) I opened my big mouth and said that my Netgear 4port router never crashes... well, now anytime I host a server on Xbox 360 Gears of War, my router crashes after roughly 1hour to 1.5 hours MAX... I lose internet all through-out the house, and have to reboot the router in the basement (I'm on 2nd floor)... gotta run down everytime. :(

So... I'm thinking of picking this gaming router up, now that it's actually a decent price, but... would I be better off building a Smoothwall? From what I've heard, nothing beats a smoothwall.... it will cost me about the same amount except the smoothwall will take much more labor.

BEWARE, this router is not as nice as everyone says, I just got mine and there are alot of problems. For 1, if you have an intel chipset wireless (laptop) it will constantly drop connection. For 2, if you use VPN software (for work), your VPN will be EXTREMELY slow, and constantly disconnect, outlook is unusable accross it. I have also had some issues with xbox live.

I replaced my linksys wrt54g with this, and what a mistake, I am putting the linksys back in, and probibly selling this dlink on ebay.

BEWARE, this router is not as nice as everyone says, I just got mine and there are alot of problems. For 1, if you have an intel chipset wireless (laptop) it will constantly drop connection. For 2, if you use VPN software (for work), your VPN will be EXTREMELY slow, and constantly disconnect, outlook is unusable accross it. I have also had some issues with xbox live.

I replaced my linksys wrt54g with this, and what a mistake, I am putting the linksys back in, and probibly selling this dlink on ebay.

owch. :( how did your wrt do with xbox live gaming anyway? Gears of War, when i host a game, it usually only lasts about an hour, maybe a TAD bit more before crashing... it never passes 90min total...

I have a laptop with Intel wireless and haven't experienced these issues. I haven't had any issues with using my work's VPN either. And I use Xbox live but not over wireless - I have the DGL-4300 sitting right next to my 360 so it is a wired connections so I can't comment on those issues.

I'm debating about picking up a 2nd one.

Is this is based off just one person's experience? Now if there were quite a few others with the same issue i'd make that same statement but otherwise this router gets good reviews overall. Of course i would never say it's bulletproof since this is networking hardware afterall and results would vary from rig to rig, and even from person to person ;)

I picked this router up a few weeks back from frys for around 75$, its a great router... I've got 3 pc's hooked to it along with my 360.

I've had no problems at all with 360 / live. I've also seen a increase in my BT speeds as all the connections used to crash my old router. I would recommend this to anyone in the market for a good router.

i read this post and bit on one also. i have my 360 and ps3 hooked up via wire, and 3 laptops, 2 intel, and 1 amd all hooked up and unlike my belkin or netgear routers, i have not had a SINGLE dropped connection or need to reset yet, even when im running a few torrents and gaming on xbl the whole time and its been 2 weeks, all in all, this is the best router i have ever owned. thanks for the suggestions~!!!

Back