Hot - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix - DDR2 1066 - $85 shipped AR

Wow excellent deal. I almost bought these a week ago for $120 from the egg.

anyone know if these are still micron d9s?
want to know before i bite;)

I think i will wait another month, at this pace ram will be free with purchase of a mother board. j/k :p

OK, noob question here. I got in on the 2x1GB ddr2 1000 deal about a month ago. I'd like to move up to 4GB total. Would mixing and matching with this kit work OK?

OK, noob question here. I got in on the 2x1GB ddr2 1000 deal about a month ago. I'd like to move up to 4GB total. Would mixing and matching with this kit work OK?

you should be fine mixing these, chances are all the ic's are d9gmh so you shouldn't have a problem, but the 1066 is binned slightly higher which just means the 1000 might not oc quite as high. majority of mobo's don't oc as high with 4 1gb stick either compared with just using 2 1gb sticks. So if you find a max oc which has the memory very high and at tighter timings, you might have to loosen the timings a little to keep the same max oc if you use 4 sticks.

you should be fine mixing these, chances are all the ic's are d9gmh so you shouldn't have a problem, but the 1066 is binned slightly higher which just means the 1000 might not oc quite as high. majority of mobo's don't oc as high with 4 1gb stick either compared with just using 2 1gb sticks. So if you find a max oc which has the memory very high and at tighter timings, you might have to loosen the timings a little to keep the same max oc if you use 4 sticks.

My 1000's O/C to 1066 without any trouble.

My 1000's O/C to 1066 without any trouble.

i wasn't saying the 1000 wouldn't oc to 1066, just saying that if for some reason you have a set of 1066 that can reach 1200+ like most people's can, the 1000's might not do that is all i was referring to. i am talking max oc on memory here, which means way above 1066. but even then, if you have a set of 1000 that is doing even 1100+ as max stable and are running that, meaning you probably have a set multiplier on the memory, chances are you will not be able to keep that same max oc if you toss in 2 more sticks of memory, since most people don't get as good results with all 4 memory slots used up rather than just using 2 slots.

most people do not run their memory at max oc for 24/7 useage though, so it doesn't really matter, i think the 4 sticks should be able to do 1066 at cas5 timings, but not at cas4 which i can do with my 2 1gb sticks of 1066.

i wasn't saying the 1000 wouldn't oc to 1066, just saying that if for some reason you have a set of 1066 that can reach 1200+ like most people's can, the 1000's might not do that is all i was referring to. i am talking max oc on memory here, which means way above 1066. but even then, if you have a set of 1000 that is doing even 1100+ as max stable and are running that, meaning you probably have a set multiplier on the memory, chances are you will not be able to keep that same max oc if you toss in 2 more sticks of memory, since most people don't get as good results with all 4 memory slots used up rather than just using 2 slots.

most people do not run their memory at max oc for 24/7 useage though, so it doesn't really matter, i think the 4 sticks should be able to do 1066 at cas5 timings, but not at cas4 which i can do with my 2 1gb sticks of 1066.

i'm kinda new to this whole thing.. i was wondering if i wasn't planning on OC'ing, would i be able to use 4gb of this ram (2 kits) on 800 at cas4?

Damn, I just bought the tracer version of this for 140 AR two days ago... I'm thinking the $60 price difference is NOT worth it.

i'm kinda new to this whole thing.. i was wondering if i wasn't planning on OC'ing, would i be able to use 4gb of this ram (2 kits) on 800 at cas4?

It'll work just fine if your board supports it.

i am pretty sure 4 1gb sticks can at least do ddr2 800 at cas4 timings, but like SPHERE said, it will probably depend on the motherboard.

I think i will wait another month, at this pace ram will be free with purchase of a mother board. j/k :p

I wouldn't. There is a very good chance that RAM prices will start to go back up before long. Manufacturers aren't likely to keep prices like this forever because they aren't making any money. The only reason prices are where they are now is because DDR2 was stockpiled in excess because of the Windows Vista release. Now they're having to dump it at rock bottom prices. I can't imagine it taking them that long to sell a ton at these prices though.

I wouldn't. There is a very good chance that RAM prices will start to go back up before long. Manufacturers aren't likely to keep prices like this forever because they aren't making any money. The only reason prices are where they are now is because DDR2 was stockpiled in excess because of the Windows Vista release. Now they're having to dump it at rock bottom prices. I can't imagine it taking them that long to sell a ton at these prices though.

agreed
these prices are so insane I'm tempted to buy memory I don't even need at the moment for when I upgrade to quad core in july

Don't know if anybody told you, but unless you are running one of the 64bit OSes, windows will only "see" around 3GB no matter how much memory you put in.

If you want the gory details, here's a good explanation: http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

thePP

agreed
these prices are so insane I'm tempted to buy memory I don't even need at the moment for when I upgrade to quad core in july

That's exactly why I bought some RAM now for when I do upgrade to quad-core.

I've got 3.5GB of RAM available for Windows to use at DDR2-1080, CAS4 now...yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Not only 90 AR, but rebate is less which makes it less of a gamble and you get a free 2GB USB flash drive. Even better deal to me now!

Not only 90 AR, but rebate is less which makes it less of a gamble and you get a free 2GB USB flash drive. Even better deal to me now!

NICE didn't notice

so this is better than buy.com's tracers, right?

To me it is, I like newegg better and need a new usb drive.

Added bonus, there is an $8 rebate for the USB drive as well. It appeared when I went to checkout.

I got in on this deal about a month ago. Does anyone know if I can still be eligible for a rebate this time around?

Back