Horrible performance with 8800GTS, what's wrong?

starbuck

n00b
Joined
Dec 7, 2006
Messages
15
Rig in sig. Getting 25-30FPS in WoW standing still, and dipping into slideshow mode whenever I rotate the camera. Ironically, this is the same average performance (minus the issue with rotating the camera) I get out of my 1yr+ old Dell XPS M170 laptop with a 2.26GHz P-M and a 7800GTX, running XP Pro. I'm running the 100.65 drivers, max in-game settings, nVidia CP set to default "let the application decide everything". What gives?
 
Does this still happen in full screen mode as opposed to windowed? I regularly have an issue with "windows effects" (such as tool-tips fading in and out) will cause WoW chop in windowed mode.(in Windows XP)

Is this immediately after bootup? I find I need to chill for 5min after bootup for windows updates and junk to stop doing their routine stuff in the background.

Try without antivirus running, I'v noticed this helps some people. This shouldn't be an issue for your rig, but it cant hurt.

Did you do a clean install with your new rig, or did you copy the dir. from the laptop? Could be an issue with the data.

Edit: How new is this Vista install? The HDD indexing may be the culprit. Leave the PC on overnight to finish, if this is the case.
 
The Nvidia drivers for Vista are still shitty, I get half the FPS in CS:S on my Vista Business. :mad:
 
yeah.

its probibly vista, make sure you have the new WHQL nvidia 8800 (+vista) drivers.

aside from that, umm, PSU?
 
Update: It seems to run fine on the ground, especially indoors, but as soon as I get up to a higher elevation (on a gryphon, or in certain towns/areas), it chokes. I'm thinking it's prolly just crappy drivers, my system should be able to handle that better than this... I may revert to XP and see what happens, though that's quite a PITA. :\
 
Update: It seems to run fine on the ground, especially indoors, but as soon as I get up to a higher elevation (on a gryphon, or in certain towns/areas), it chokes. I'm thinking it's prolly just crappy drivers, my system should be able to handle that better than this... I may revert to XP and see what happens, though that's quite a PITA. :\

You're damn right it should be able to handle it, I max it out 60fps no problems...
 
What is your current resolution at, also how much script memory are you allowing wow to use and how many add ons do you have?
 
What is your current resolution at, also how much script memory are you allowing wow to use and how many add ons do you have?

Doubt that's it, I'm using the same addons I had on the laptop, and a lower resolution (1440x900)
 
Well there could be a problem with script memory if your not allowing it to use to much of it, i had the problem when i only allowed 28mb but i needed ~ 38 i would try to bump that up a little bit to see if it fixes anything.
 
Have you tried modifying the compatibility settings?

Go to your WoW executable, right click, properties, compatibility. Check the boxes for "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition" then OK out. Try WoW again.

Might even try running it in WinXP SP2 mode.

This method increased my Oblivion performance drastically. Went from 10-20FPS to 30-50FPS.
 
Back
Top