Horrible College Internet

JediSpam

n00b
I've been in college for a few weeks now and this connection is ridiculous. The internet is fine for awhile then i get massive time outs and lag. I was playing call of duty in a server that i normally ping 30. I got off and played a little bit later and i was getting anywhere from 150 to 300. It's ridiculous. Also, i'm wondering why my command prompt won't ping internet sites? I try to see and it gives me this.

junk.jpg

I used to ping www.yahoo.com all the time at my home to see my latency. Why won't it work here even though I have working internet?

Gah that doesn't sound good. Does that have to do with pinging a website? All I know is that the ping in gaming is absolutely horrible. I wish I could do something about this junk.

icmp will allow the command ping and traceroute, if icmp is turned off or blocked at the firewall then it won't work

Eh, not sure if it applies to your case, but my college's internet kept randomly firewalling games for the sake of stopping Ares. Then I realized each room in the dorm had cable TV. Then I called and found out, suprisingly enough, there was nothing stoping me from getting cable service.

Now, the days of annoying, quasi-fast college internet that's firewalled to hell and randomly choked are a thing of the past.

i've seen dynamic packet shaping used to prevent the uneven use of bandwidth among client computers, as well as deprioritizing stuff on certain port ranges (often stuff used by games, p2p, ftp, etc) so that the latency can be totally awful, if it even works. it'd be dumb of them to put their ICMP traffic way up in the hierarchy of important traffic.. so that's kinda easily explained.

Learn at college you must, my young pedawan. Plenty of time you have, to game at home when you relax. ;)

when i lived on campus there were times it got way slow... turned out to be congestion from so many users(like 3000 students trying to use a single T1 line)... the college finally got a few more T1 connections that alleviated the problem

I go to NJIT...a school to technical for their own good. First off, virus', spyware, adaware up the ying-yang. You put a comp w/out SP2 on the network, in less than a minute, spyware will get on it. You have various programs running that dont do anything like xpsp2.exe. Secondly, becuase of all the spyware and viruses, the gateway servers are slow, and the LAN is even more slower (at random times). Thirdly, they make you authenticate to the network every morning when the main server restarts (around 5 or so) which is VERY anal becuase its stupid. If were plugged directly into the wall in the dorm network, why do we have to authenticate? Wireless, I understand, but not hardwired into the wall. So IM programs disconnect, and file transfers dont start (but theyll continue if they have a connection). Again here, they block IMCP so pinging out is no good. Sometimes I just hate our network, but we have no choice. Especially the girls at our school (always using IE), if they have spyware or something on their comp, they wont take care of it unless it doesnt surf the web, play music, or not type up reports, then theyll complain and wonder why. <sighs> Its a no-win situation unless you have a good firewall in place and constantly run antivirus/spybot.

Here at UGA my pings are awesome, <30 up and down the east coast. I do get a lot of disconnects/random ping spikes and my download speed seems to be capped at a little less than 50kb/s.

Any way to boost this?

Why someone would block icmp going out is beyond me. Blocking it coming in is a different story...

For those of you who are going to post your top 100 reasons to block icmp internally, spare your fingers the typing. I care not what you have to say. Not trying to be a dick just spare me.

guess you cant beat my DORM LAN, the only things not blocked is BBS ,IM and port 80 which makes P2P and Games unplayable....and to see the school boasting a 100m up/down internet line connected to the dorm to attract students living there....horrid...-.-

and the funny thing is, the school bought SWITCHES and DID NOT configure them to catch\disconnect massive uploads/downloads because the lamest reason of them all " we respect the students right to remain annonymous and to facilitate everyone" WTF?!!?!?!

Now anyone running on windows fiirewall and norton/trend have to reboot nearly every week as they get infected with scum .....

As of typing i am getting port scans and such showing up on my Sygate firewall...

And worst of all sometimes the Switch hangs, causing massive internet blackouts because the switch isnt configured and hanged due to too much traffic......

I work for the technology department of a boarding school. The students here have the same issues. We use packet shaping to help distribute bandwidth. 1 gets the lowest priority and 7 is the highest. Normal port 80 web traffic gets a priority of 6 and the ports games use gets 2, and if they port hop they get the default priority of 3. When school gets out and everyone gets online port 80 traffic can take up 90+% of our bandwidth. This makes the game pings and lag skyrocket to unplayable levels.

We, as your college, are an educational institution. We give priority to things that are used to help students with their education. So guess how high games rate on the priority list? I'm sorry, but no college is going to pay for extra bandwidth so people can play games. As long as people can load web pages at a reasonable rate, your college is going to call it good.

The best thing to do is either get your own internet, or give yourself a static route through the firewall and give the highest priority to all traffic from your ip like I did. :p (Being the network admin has its benefits)

Yeah. UNT blocks ping requests at the gateway. They also use packet shaper to help save the network from being overrun by p2p stuff. I've heard that bittorrent in particular sucks pretty bad on resnet, but have never witnessed it myself.

You should just be glad you missed the days of UNT dialup and actually have network connection. I had some rigged together setup to allow my roomate and I to be on the web at the same time over dialup... (dont think it was the windows ICS) That was also the time when the campus was fed by a handful of T1s that would be saturated constantly.

But as far as the lag spikes.. (150 really isnt that bad IMO) There probably isn't a lot you can do. It could be due to a number of factors. You may want to try off peak times, submiting a help request to resnet (probably wont get much there unless it's reproduceable), and threaten the comp sci guys down the hall who are repeatedly doing speed tests by transferring their pr0n collections back and forth. Alternatively, blood offerings seem to work as well.

Back