Horrendously Low 3DMark05 Score - 8800GTS 640MB

dualcore

n00b
I posted this in the generic Video Card forum, but hopefully will have more luck here in the Nvidia specific forum.

Please help guys, Is my 8800GTS defective??

After almost 1 week of trying to figure this out on my own, I'm at a loss as to figure out how to fix this or what the issue is. In my sig is my rig.
My score was a pitiful 5100, and I'm seeing non-overclocked 3800+'s with 9000-10000!

Memory tests pass @ 1:1 - 230FSB @ CAS2 2-2-10, so running on a divider isnt an issue. At 2.3Ghz the score is only 5000!

I've reinstalled XP-SP2.
I've installed the AMD CPU Driver.
I've installed the DualCore HotFix
I've installed the DualCore Optimizer.
Yes the /usepmtimer is in boot.ini, I've even tried with it not being there.
I've installed 97.92 (I believe thats the Nvidia vid driver version).

Why am I scoring so low... is it my CPU because it's only @ 2.4Ghz?

Not sure if this helps, but memory before running is @ 111MB in-use of 1GB total.
Services are at a minimum, and only my printer driver, and mouse driver are in the background, and oh yeah... Daemon tools 4.

Please tell me I'm overlooking something small so it's an easy fix.

is resolution set to 1024x768, no aa, no af?

easiest things to mess up

make sure if you have any type of non-windows resolution changer, that the resolution is changed to 1024x768, because with my evga card, my desktop is at 16x12, and that's what it would benchmark at due to the drivers with my 7900gto. idk why, but it did. i changed the res manually before starting the program, and bam, i was hitting what i wanted

My Desktop is 1600x1200, and I've tried setting it to 1024x768 before running the tests, and still receive a very low score, and it's driving me nuts!!!! 5100 is waaaay too low... something isn't right.

Settings for 3DMark05 are.....
Resolution: 1024x768
Anti-Aliasing: None
Filtering: Optimal
HLSL VS Target: 3_0
HLSL PS Target: 3_0
Fixed Framerate: off

Basically these are the default settings, I haven't changed anything.

Drivers are up to date, as well as DirectX 9.0c drivers. I'm not sure what else to check??

Do you have two monitors on at the same time?
Why do you have Daemon Tools running?
What are your card's temps? If it is too hot it won't perform like it should.
Is your 3DMark05 fully updated? I think updated it at least once.

the single core shouldn't be affecting your score in 3d05....

hrmmm

ttp for any other help? maybe something wonky with the 8800drivers?

maybe a revision back would fix something?

wait til someone with a g80 confirms tho

There is 1 monitor, not 2.... it's a Dell Trinitron 21".
Desktop runs @ 1600x1200.
I switched to 1024x768 to run the tests, however the result is the same.
Whether I stay @ 1600x1200, and run the tests (it switches to 1024x768 anyways), or if I switch it myself before the tests run.. same result... $hitty score!.....

I run daemon tools because I mount ISO's for install.. much easier that way.

It's running the latest 3DMark05 version there is available @ this time.

Card temps are just fine, typically 54c idle when underclocked. 60c when standard, and can run as hot as 75c when overclocked, and @ max load.

Still mystified as to what my issue could be!

download atitool here

and run the 3D View window

(of course, if you already have it, great)

what numbers are you getting there?

Yup,
Love ATiTool for the clock speed, and RivaTuner for the fan....

ATI Tool Stats:

Default Clock Speed: 478 FPS AVG
GPU Temp - 68c
Fan Speed - 100%

This is after running about 5 mins.

Yup,
Love ATiTool for the clock speed, and RivaTuner for the fan....

ATI Tool Stats:

Default Clock Speed: 478 FPS AVG
GPU Temp - 68c
Fan Speed - 100%

This is after running about 5 mins.

Something is wrong for sure. My 7600 GT averages 405 fps on that...

I just ran 3dMark06 and ended up with 8708 with resolution of 1280x1024 and 9391 with resolution of 1024x786. Big differences between out machines are dual core, and double the RAM, I would estimate your numbers are normal as compared to like machines, so I don't think the numbers should drive you crazy..

last time i got a score that low i was running a 3200 clawhammer on a nf3 chipset at around 2250mhz, with a 6800 gt, around 3 years ago.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=330979

what do you get in 3d06? what are your 3d settings set at in nvidia control panel? are you using the 3d05 profile? do you have it set to high performance?

your monitor settings have nothing to do with this. neither does your desktop rez, or your card temps.
can you post a link to your score, and after you run 3d06, can you post a link to that?

Something is wrong for sure. My 7600 GT averages 405 fps on that...

Yeah.. so what exactly is wrong then? Do you think it's the card? It's only a week old from Newegg... should I get it replaced?

When you say your 7600GT average 405 on that, is that with a 3.2Ghz processor?

Dont forget, I'm only running an AMD 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz, it's not a screamer, but it should be doing more than 5100 on 3DMark05, I would think....

Maybe I should just RMA the card, and hopefully get a better one.

yea you should me doing twice as good at least. plse answer my questions from my above post. yes, it sounds like there is something wrong with your card. have you used it to play any games? how is that going?

last time i got a score that low i was running a 3200 clawhammer on a nf3 chipset at around 2250mhz, with a 6800 gt, around 3 years ago.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=330979

what do you get in 3d06? what are your 3d settings set at in nvidia control panel? are you using the 3d05 profile? do you have it set to high performance?

your monitor settings have nothing to do with this. neither does your desktop rez, or your card temps.
can you post a link to your score, and after you run 3d06, can you post a link to that?

3DMark06 is even worse.. like in the 3000's. It's soo bad watching that demo. I feel like I own a 286!

Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel are stock, I haven't changed anything.

I think my card is bunk!

I think I solved my own problem.... I'm still in shock!!!

There are 2 slots on this motherboard, cuz it's SLI....

1 arrow pointing down that says non-sli and 1 above that says SLI.

Well.. I put the card in the Non-SLI Slot (bottom slot).. I think that's where the issue lies.

Moved it up to the top slot.. and the ATI tool benches are 2x now...

Holy $hit.. it wasn't the card afterall.....

Dont ask me what tempted me to try that.... I have no clue..... I think it's cuz I've tried everything else under the sun up until that point....

Thanks to those who did help me out in an attempt to single out WTF was wrong.

Haven't tried 3DMark05 benches, but I'll post them in the morning.. right now I need sleep.. 5:00am comes pretty early here on the east coast!

A few hours ago I was running 3dmark05 and I noticed that my scores were horrendous... around 7000 (i have a 8800GTS 320mb). I looked around on some forums and discovered that it was likely due to a link width issue on my pci-express slot. So I ran CPU-Z (looked in mainboard) and noticed that, while my pci-express slot is rated for up to x16, it was actually running at x1.... which is horrendous.
I went back and I increased the pci-express bus speed from 100 to 105 and that solved the problem. Check CPU-Z to see if you have the same problem.

A few hours ago I was running 3dmark05 and I noticed that my scores were horrendous... around 7000 (i have a 8800GTS 320mb). I looked around on some forums and discovered that it was likely due to a link width issue on my pci-express slot. So I ran CPU-Z (looked in mainboard) and noticed that, while my pci-express slot is rated for up to x16, it was actually running at x1.... which is horrendous.
I went back and I increased the pci-express bus speed from 100 to 105 and that solved the problem. Check CPU-Z to see if you have the same problem.

Interesting that changing your PCI-E from 100 to 105 also changed your Link Width from x1 to x16. I'm also not sure what longterm affects there will be from increasing (overclocking) the PCI-E bus speed to 105... it may be nothing @ all, but I'm honestly not sure.

I know that putting my 8800GTS in the Non-SLI slot had the Link Width set to x1, not sure why its set that way. I moved it to the SLI slot, and now it's reporting x16, and seems to be working just fine. I'm reluctant to moving it back and overclocking the PCI-E bus to 105 (or anything higher than the locked 100 speed) to see if it sets to x16.
Glad it's working for you

Yeah. I sortof didn't read your last message, so I didn't know that you had fixed your problem. It's an issue with some motherboards that they will throttle down the link-width when you overclock the processor. Other solutions included increasing voltage to the northbridge or southbridge. I thought a small increase in pci-bus speed wouldn't be as risky, and it worked so I am happy.
But yeah, if you solved your problem by switching slots, then there's nothing more to it.

Back