Horizon Zero Dawn

It did a good job of trickle feeding the mystery and pacing the story, a difficult thing to do in an open world game where the character can run off and do whatever they want for as long as they want. Certainly a top candidate for GoTY for me.

It did a good job of trickle feeding the mystery and pacing the story, a difficult thing to do in an open world game where the character can run off and do whatever they want for as long as they want. Certainly a top candidate for GoTY for me.

I sadly finished the game today and I couldn't agree with you more. This game never dropped the ball from start to finish and did everything right as far as I'm concerned.

I think this game is a masterpiece myself. That doesn't mean it's perfect...nothing is... but everything this sets out to do it does very well and never drops the ball from start to finish. It has heart.

I'd read and heard that Guerilla's people said this was a labor of love and it shows.

I sadly finished the game today and I couldn't agree with you more. This game never dropped the ball from start to finish and did everything right as far as I'm concerned.

I think this game is a masterpiece myself. That doesn't mean it's perfect...nothing is... but everything this sets out to do it does very well and never drops the ball from start to finish. It has heart.

I'd read and heard that Guerilla's people said this was a labor of love and it shows.

In retrospect, I do have one gripe. I ended up finding all of the final story places well before I was supposed to. I basically skipped Meridian to complete all the couldrons, tallnecks, bandit camps, corrupted zones, etc all over the world.

The way they kept me out of the story-driven locales was a little contrived - icecicles, really, I have an explosive sling with bombs... Icecicles aren't going to keep me out.

Pew, boom, pow... Those must be robot icecicles. Leave, trigger story event, come back, no icecicles.

In retrospect, I do have one gripe. I ended up finding all of the final story places well before I was supposed to. I basically skipped Meridian to complete all the couldrons, tallnecks, bandit camps, corrupted zones, etc all over the world.

The way they kept me out of the story-driven locales was a little contrived - icecicles, really, I have an explosive sling with bombs... Icecicles aren't going to keep me out.

Pew, boom, pow... Those must be robot icecicles. Leave, trigger story event, come back, no icecicles.

Yeah I did some of the same, and laughed at the same mechanic, but I understand the need for it. They have to gate us completionist adventurers one way or another; but you're right, they could have chosen something more believable than icicles.

I finally broke down and got Horizon. Bloodborne was keeping me busy for the past few weeks (holy hell what a game that is... best combat ever).

With a PS4 Pro on a 1080p display, I gotta say the supersampling with Horizon is phenomenal. Virtually no jaggies, very smooth and detailed image. Frame rate is a solid 30fps with no variation that I can see. Five hours into it and the story is very intriguing, one of the few dialogue heavy games that I don't fast-forward.

This is a tremendous step up from Guerrilla's last game, Killzone Shadow Fall. Huge improvements in control, graphics, storytelling.

This is a tremendous step up from Guerrilla's last game, Killzone Shadow Fall. Huge improvements in control, graphics, storytelling.

I enjoyed Shadow Fall... actually I think it was my first PS4 game. That said, you are correct, Horizon is a gigantic leap over that game. If they ever return to the Killzone series, I'm sure their experience with HZD will only improve the IP. I doubt the community or the Publisher is going to let that happen any time soon however. They will be cranking out HZD content until they are sick of looking at it.

I enjoyed Shadow Fall... actually I think it was my first PS4 game. That said, you are correct, Horizon is a gigantic leap over that game. If they ever return to the Killzone series, I'm sure their experience with HZD will only improve the IP. I doubt the community or the Publisher is going to let that happen any time soon however. They will be cranking out HZD content until they are sick of looking at it.

Fine by me. If they hold to this quality and don't rush something out for the sake of doing it then the more the merrier. :)

Best thing about this game is the aiming. I have never had such great success at aiming with any console platform in my life. The second on my list would be Destiny and/or Halo games. But this one really takes the cake in aiming.
Can head shot after head shot without issues. Comparatively, ROTTR on XBONE was a pain in the ass to aim in.

He mentions the GDC presentations regarding the procedural environment system, which are available on Guerrilla's site. If you're in to that sort of thing, it's pretty fascinating. We're looking hard at this game at our company and trying to figure out if there's some stuff we should do for our next title. Horizon is an absolute marvel.

https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read

So I have to say the Corruption ammo is my favorite so far. I'm having so much fun with it. Came to a section in the road yesterday that was blocked by about six LARGE machines. I corrupted one and watched the fight. Amazing. I should have shot a video.

Also finiished the Meridian chapter and fought the birds....Damn, almost ran out of ammo until I found a spot where I could stand relatively safe. Amazing game.

Loving the game. I just got it yesterday and stayed up till 3am playing lol. It's been a while since I have done that. Honestly it's still too early for impressions but I am liking it a lot though one minor complaint was the beginning part with her as a child was a bit too slow paced for my tastes. Also I don't think there is a lock on option or at least I haven't found one yet. Not for aiming but for when you are melee fighting, so you can keep facing the enemy. The game kind of reminds me a bit of Shadows of Mordor.

There's some amazing stuff to explore if you just want to wander. Yesterday I randomly found a yellow rope on the side of a mountain that took me to the top where a metal flower was and a random trader. Also did anyone else find the remains of a plane? I stumbled upon when I climbed to the top of a plateau.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The gameplay is solid enough that I never felt the lack of a lock option that, yes, I would have used at times as well and especially for some of the "giant/boss" like machine fights.

So some questions I have...

1) Best armor
2) Best weapon set
3) Do you buy maps from vendors
4) Which stuff you buy from vendors typically
5) Best resource farming areas (I need some rare items to upgrade my quivers etc.)

Let me know.

Game like dope.

bleh2.gif

1) Best armor
2) Best weapon set
5) Best resource farming areas (I need some rare items to upgrade my quivers etc.)

Let me know.

Game like dope.

bleh2.gif

So far I just switch my outfits out for where I am on the map climate wise or who I am fighting.
Depends who you are fighting.
I do have maps.
I buy outfits and ammo if I need some quick, but mostly craft those on the go.
I Havent farmed anything, just collect as I go from town to town, or quest to quest.

1) Best armor
2) Best weapon set

Let me know.

Game like dope.

bleh2.gif

1. Ancient armor. Although I personally loved the Nora Silent Hunter Heavy armor, grants 50 stealth with 2 mod slots to play with - which you can add two stealth mods which would put you near 100 stealth. Couple that up with the silent running perk and you literally can be in plain sight without any detection.

2.Hunter's lodge weapons you get from completing that side quest, otherwise the quicker route would be just buy out anything Shadow.

Last edited:
1. Ancient armor. Although I personally loved the Nora Silent Hunter Heavy armor, grants 50 stealth with 2 mod slots to play with - which you can add two stealth mods which would put you near 100 stealth. Couple that up with the silent running perk and you literally can be in plain sight without any detection.

2.Hunter's lodge weapons you get from completing that side quest, otherwise the quicker route would be just buy out anything Shadow.
Ancient Armor basically removes the need for health items. You can pretty much go toe to toe against most enemies after acquiring the Ancient Armor. The Stealth Armor is great if you like taking control of robots. It's fun to watch robots wreck each other while you just mosey on by...

Anyone else find navigating to TED FARRO'S office difficult? I'm going around in circles and can't get past the second floor.

I'm a little over 7 hours in and just finished that arthropod boss fight that awarded me the control device; I don't really feel like I've played it for 7 hours, the story still feels early and it only just now feels like it's ramping up, good game, though. I've spent time doing whatever side quests I've come across and quite a bit of time practicing the stealth kill stuff to stock up on loot, so that probably added up.

This is probably the second current-gen console game I've played and I've been very pleased with the visuals and consistency of the performance.

Found a great 'glitch' for completing GRAVE HORDE today if anyone is interested.

When you open the door right before you enter the last large room for the 'boss'battle, pause the cut scene then hit skip, quickly back roll.
If you've done it correctly you will be back inside the tunnel but the door will stay open. You can now fire at will and kill the boss and
the humans. Jump down to the platform below you and then to the ground.

Anyone else really frustrated by the blurried textures just below and behind your character?
I mean, I know this is Playstation and the blurry area is not very big, but I bought a PS4 Pro 1 month ago and Horizon is my first console game in 25 years. Coming from high end 4k PC gaming, that small part is really poking my eyes and makes me grind my teeth.

Also, everyone is praising Horizon for being an awesome game. I just find it alright. I don't understand the part where my wooden arrows and spear do so much damage to metal...

Haven't noticed the texture thing at all and honestly I could care less. This is the best looking game I have ever played and daily I'm amazed by it. Also I have to say it's the first game I've ever payed attention to the story. Great game all around.

Haven't noticed the texture thing at all and honestly I could care less. This is the best looking game I have ever played and daily I'm amazed by it. Also I have to say it's the first game I've ever payed attention to the story. Great game all around.

Well, when you say that it's the best looking game you have ever played, I assume that you're a strictly console gamer and speaking about your own experience.
I game at 4k on PC. Horizon is far from being the best looking game ever.

Just finished the Cauldron SIGMA dungeon. I was level 11 and did it...Just took my time.. Difficult but worth it.
Just got there and I'm around level 10 (don't remember exactly) and the boss is definitely challenging, I had to stop retrying, but I think I have a plan now (clean out the Watchers first, then take on the big guy). I'm mostly concerned that I'm underprepared as far as my resources go; my weapons have been easily adequate, but I'm concerned that I should have either bought something stronger, leveled up more, or brought more healing items.

Just got there and I'm around level 10 (don't remember exactly) and the boss is definitely challenging, I had to stop retrying, but I think I have a plan now (clean out the Watchers first, then take on the big guy). I'm mostly concerned that I'm underprepared as far as my resources go; my weapons have been easily adequate, but I'm concerned that I should have either bought something stronger, leveled up more, or brought more healing items.

Watchers first...almost always for me.

I game at 4k on PC. Horizon is far from being the best looking game ever.

Yeah, who doesn't? To say however, that it's far from being the best looking game ever, is massive hyperbole.

Anyway, Horizon is an absolutely stunning looking game on a higher-end 4K tv. Truth is, very few games exude the excellent art direction and polish. There are but a handful.

Opinion is subjective. What do you think is the most beautiful game ever?

Call of Duty, duh.

putter-toss.gif

I have never played any of CoD games. But since the responses here and judgemental I'm not going to spend more of my time discussing here.
My opinion is just as important as yours. Your judgmental shit you can keep to yourself.

I have never played any of CoD games. But since the responses here and judgemental I'm not going to spend more of my time discussing here.
My opinion is just as important as yours. Your judgmental shit you can keep to yourself.

See Below.

Well then you're wrong about it being the most beautiful game ever.

You mean like that?

See Below.

You mean like that?

That's a statement and an opinion. Wow, your understanding of the English language is not the best, huh?

"Well then you're wrong about it being the most beautiful game ever because you have never played any of the real beautiful games".

The above meaning is judgemental because it ASSUMES that I know something about the person while I don't.
Just like the guy who mentioned me and CoD and thinks he's clever, while you're both jackasses.
Now that's not a judgment, it's a fact.

Back