Horizon Zero Dawn

I've been reading people's impressions of the game on other forums and the reviews are ridiculously good...people are calling it the console game of this generation and other hyperboles...I can't tell if people are just being prisoners of the moment or if the game is really that good...better then Bloodborne?...the bar is set really high with Bloodborne for me so for another game to top that it would have to be nearly perfect...Zero Dawn does look really impressive from a technical standpoint and gameplay also looks really solid...I'm trying to hold off on buying this but it's getting tougher

I've been reading people's impressions of the game on other forums and the reviews are ridiculously good...people are calling it the console game of this generation and other hyperboles...I can't tell if people are just being prisoners of the moment or if the game is really that good...better then Bloodborne?...the bar is set really high with Bloodborne for me so for another game to top that it would have to be nearly perfect...Zero Dawn does look really impressive from a technical standpoint and gameplay also looks really solid...I'm trying to hold off on buying this but it's getting tougher

Some of the photos on neogaf look ridiculously good:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348006&page=10

I was disappointed that the performance mode basically isn't any different (providing 1% more consistency) than the standard 30fps mode. I would've loved to have a 60fps lower detail mode.

is there a Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 bundle available in the USA?...I read an article stating that one would be available in Europe starting on March 1st (plus a 3 month PlayStation Plus membership)...will the same hold true for the USA?

+1, I use RTINGS.com as well for reviews/calibration.

Only place you should be going for anything TV related is RTINGS.com. Helped my calibrations plenty of times.

Yeah this isn't really the thread to point this out but inputting setting you found on a forum or the web is NOT calibration. I have a colorimeter and know how to calibrate. Let me put it this way, I have to recalibrate my displays at least twice a year because the components that make up the TV drift over time. On top of that each input can vary depending on the display.

Anyway on HZD, it looks so pretty it makes me wish I had a 4K HDR TV, gonna put some hours into it this weekend.

Pushing 6-7 hours into it I'm still impressed with every aspect of this game.
I'm right with you. It's an incredible mix of Tomb Raider and The Witcher 3. The world is massive as well with so much to see and do. Can't say enough good things about Horizon Zero Dawn.

Is there an easier way to aim? It takes me forever to steady my shot.

Yeah this isn't really the thread to point this out but inputting setting you found on a forum or the web is NOT calibration. I have a colorimeter and know how to calibrate. Let me put it this way, I have to recalibrate my displays at least twice a year because the components that make up the TV drift over time. On top of that each input can vary depending on the display.

Anyway on HZD, it looks so pretty it makes me wish I had a 4K HDR TV, gonna put some hours into it this weekend.

True, but the people that are really calibrating with equipment are few and far between, getting as close as possible (especially with a higher end tv that is almost close to perfect out of the box) is really the goal for most.

I'm about 12 hours in right now and still amazed at how incredible this game looks - not necessarily for pure visual fidelity but rather one of the tightest examples of art direction I've ever seen in a video game. The character eyes in this game are unlike anything I've ever seen.

On top of all this, the story is engaging and combat mechanics are pretty fantastic.

Yet again, it comes to the argument about if you are a video/audio/FPS -phile. For the majority of the TVs I have had, RTINGS has always been a good resource because not only do they give you a good starting point for calibration, but they tell you exactly what settings to change and then suggest "if this seems off then adjust this..." So, for the majority of people who don't want to buy specialized equipment for yearly TV calibration their website is a good source for folks who don't care so much about the nuances of TVs and calibration. It's not fair to dismiss something just because it's not as advanced as what you are suggesting. Hell, changing the brightness a little bit is still considered "calibration" by the definition because you are changing it to your liking.

I'm about 12 hours in right now and still amazed at how incredible this game looks - not necessarily for pure visual fidelity but rather one of the tightest examples of art direction I've ever seen in a video game. The character eyes in this game are unlike anything I've ever seen.

On top of all this, the story is engaging and combat mechanics are pretty fantastic.

Do go on...! I haven't been able to play (unless you count looking at the collector's art book and fondling the metal game case) yet due to work projects, but those are nearing an end today, woo!

Yet again, it comes to the argument about if you are a video/audio/FPS -phile. For the majority of the TVs I have had, RTINGS has always been a good resource because not only do they give you a good starting point for calibration, but they tell you exactly what settings to change and then suggest "if this seems off then adjust this..." So, for the majority of people who don't want to buy specialized equipment for yearly TV calibration their website is a good source for folks who don't care so much about the nuances of TVs and calibration. It's not fair to dismiss something just because it's not as advanced as what you are suggesting. Hell, changing the brightness a little bit is still considered "calibration" by the definition because you are changing it to your liking.

Totally agree, and that's what I was trying to point out with my comment.

How's that sweet Razer setup btw? ;)

Last edited:
Is there an easier way to aim? It takes me forever to steady my shot.

I'd recommend (and I usually don't do this), having the game's auto aim on until you get more used to what's going on. (This is blasphemy to me as a PC gamer but for this on a console with a controller? It helps at least until you get your bearings.)

I also highly recommend getting the skill that let's you slow down time when you take a shot if you have any interest in ranged combat whatsoever.

EDIT: Art direction:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1785653636/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^^ That was a no brainer purchase for me. The digital deluxe version of the game comes with a digital sampler art book but nothing beats the full monty and and a real book.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the photos on neogaf look ridiculously good:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348006&page=10

I was disappointed that the performance mode basically isn't any different (providing 1% more consistency) than the standard 30fps mode. I would've loved to have a 60fps lower detail mode.

The photo mode has filters and effects to make it look better then it is. However it is still a good looking game.. To bad its not on PC.. cause 60fps in this game would be AMAZING.....

I am a couple hours into it.. No regrets so far :)

It's nothing like Bloodborne so don't get your hopes to high.

If you like gathering loot/resources and doing quest you will enjoy this game.

No doubt RTINGS is a good resource and I'm not knocking it overall but they should not give out settings. One of my displays I had used setting from the internet that the poster had professionally calibrated. I later learned to calibrate and measured the settings from the other calibrated display and it wasn't even remotely close to being correct for my particular display. Not my experiment but see : http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/sharing-calibration-settings-results-compared/ It's uses a lot of calibration jargon but the relevant summary is at the bottom.

I'm not dismissing something because it's not as advanced as I'm suggesting. I'm simply stating it is the wrong term and misunderstood because you can not calibrate ANYTHING without a measurement device to verify the data, it's the meanings of the word:

Definition of calibrate
calibrated; calibrating
transitive verb
1 : to ascertain the caliber (see caliber 3) of (as a thermometer tube)
2 : to determine, rectify, or mark the graduations (see graduation 1)of (as a thermometer tube)
3 : to standardize (as a measuring instrument) by determining the deviation from a standard so as to ascertain the proper correction factors
4 : to adjust precisely for a particular function, example: calibrate a thermometer
5 : to measure precisely (example sentence: carefully calibrate the dosage of a medicine); especially : to measure against a standard

When someone without a colorimeter inputs settings found on the internet they have no way of objectively knowing which one is more correct, they're subjectively deciding which one you prefer. That is not calibration. Yes I'm fun at parties... ;)

Back on topic...

The Surround Sound implementation in the cut scenes in HZD is fucked up. The dialog rarely is dead center it heavily leans to either the left or right speakers. It's incredibly odd and breaks the immersion for me, for example a character will be on the left side of the screen and the voice comes out the right speaker.

Last edited:
No doubt RTINGS is a good resource and I'm not knocking it overall but they should not give out settings. One of my displays I had used setting from the internet that the poster had professionally calibrated. I later learned to calibrate and measured the settings from the other calibrated display and it wasn't even remotely close to being correct for my particular display. Not my experiment but see : http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/sharing-calibration-settings-results-compared/ It's uses a lot of calibration jargon but the relevant summary is at the bottom.

When someone without a colorimeter inputs settings found on the internet they have no way of objectively knowing which one is more correct, they're subjectively deciding which one you prefer. That is not calibration. Yes I'm fun at parties... ;)

I agree with you 100%...for my last 2 high end TV purchases I went with a pro calibrator (one of the best ones here on the East coast)...could not be happier with the results...copying someone else's settings is better then nothing but is only a base estimate and is never as accurate as a 'real' calibration...I was also skeptical before doing a calibration (cost was $300) and thought it would not be that big of a deal but it definitely is for me at least (calibrated both an ISF Day and ISF Night settings)...TV's are getting better as far as settings out of the box but it's never as good as it could be...most people probably won't notice but if you're a videophile then a calibration is just as important as the TV itself

I'd recommend (and I usually don't do this), having the game's auto aim on until you get more used to what's going on. (This is blasphemy to me as a PC gamer but for this on a console with a controller? It helps at least until you get your bearings.)

I also highly recommend getting the skill that let's you slow down time when you take a shot if you have any interest in ranged combat whatsoever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1785653636/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^^ That was a no brainer purchase for me. The digital deluxe version of the game comes with a digital sampler art book but nothing beats the full monty and and a real book.

I don't think there is an 'auto' aim option, isn't it an 'assist' option, which I'm reading is different?

Just checked...It's assist option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm loving the game, my only gripe is that I wish I could 'pull' back the camera, it's almost claustrophobic in some battles as I feel I cant see whats going on around me.

like this
I'm loving the game, my only gripe is that I wish I could 'pull' back the camera, it's almost claustrophobic in some battles as I feel I cant see whats going on around me.

That's the one thing I wish more 3rd person games would give us. Grand Theft Auto has always been good about giving us I think 3 different distances the camera can be from the character, and I think all 3rd person games should do this. A couple games comes to mind where the cameras were way too close to the camera is The Evil Within, and Resident Evil 5 & 6.

Purchased! I was looking at the smaller booklet that came with my collector's for what seemed like forever, love shit like that. This takes it to a different level though, love art!

Anyone purchase the Future Press strategy guide? Mine's still in limbo status on Amazon.

like this
I realize this is saying a lot given some of the heavy hitters and unknowns set to come out for 2017... and that includes that Zelda game... but this game likely will be in GOTY lists and discussions at the end of 2017 even if it doesn't win it outright.

^^ That's how impressed I am with this game.

The worst case scenario I see for this is winning Best Game of "insert genre".

I agree with you 100%...for my last 2 high end TV purchases I went with a pro calibrator (one of the best ones here on the East coast)...could not be happier with the results...copying someone else's settings is better then nothing but is only a base estimate and is never as accurate as a 'real' calibration...I was also skeptical before doing a calibration (cost was $300) and thought it would not be that big of a deal but it definitely is for me at least (calibrated both an ISF Day and ISF Night settings)...TV's are getting better as far as settings out of the box but it's never as good as it could be...most people probably won't notice but if you're a videophile then a calibration is just as important as the TV itself

ISF Calibration... if you can afford it, it's definitely not BS and it's well worth it on any display you plan on keeping for a while.

This game is amazing - any game that within the first couple of hours can keep two chatty 10-year olds quiet outside of the occasional "wow" and "holy crap" is a win for me.

I realize this is saying a lot given some of the heavy hitters and unknowns set to come out for 2017... and that includes that Zelda game... but this game likely will be in GOTY lists and discussions at the end of 2017 even if it doesn't win it outright.

^^ That's how impressed I am with this game.

The worst case scenario I see for this is winning Best Game of "insert genre".

ISF Calibration... if you can afford it, it's definitely not BS and it's well worth it on any display you plan on keeping for a while.

I read Best Buy does the ISF Calibration for like ~$200 or something like that? Is this true?

like this
The worst case scenario I see for this is winning Best Game of "insert genre"

at worst it's console GOTY...at best it's GOTY (regardless of platform)...problem is that games that get released early in the year usually get somewhat forgotten at the end of the year as newer games are released (I thought Rise of the Tomb Raider's PC release was one of the best of 2016 but since it came out in January it got lost in the shuffle by year's end) but I have a feeling Zero Dawn will not be forgotten anytime...hopefully they release a few memorable DLC's as well

good God, never go to Best Buy for a calibration of your high end TV

I'm just asking! I wasn't going to...I swear! :)

Any recommendations? I can't imagine how much more improvement I could make on my KS8000, it already looks phenomenal.

I'm just asking! I wasn't going to...I swear! :)

Any recommendations? I can't imagine how much more improvement I could make on my KS8000, it already looks phenomenal.

check out AVSforum, they have a dedicated thread dealing with calibrators in your specific area...not sure if everyone listed there is top notch or not so you need to do your research first...but like I said if you're not a videophile then you might not see the differences...if you notice things such as black level, contrast ratio, color accuracy as it relates to things like skin tones, sharpness etc then you would benefit from a calibration

check out AVSforum, they have a dedicated thread dealing with calibrators in your specific area...not sure if everyone listed there is top notch or not so you need to do your research first...but like I said if you're not a videophile then you might not see the differences...if you notice things such as black level, contrast ratio, color accuracy as it relates to things like skin tones, sharpness etc then you would benefit from a calibration

Will do, thanks for the heads up. I may do it just to see what the fuss is all about, what's a few hundred bucks anyway!

Very promising and good looking setup. The game is gorgeous and the music is as well. Good start with maybe an hour into it thus far.

Info on the music:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/06...nd-artists-for-horizon-zero-dawns-soundtrack/

Impressive. That lady's solo voice... very evocative and ethereal. Well done. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff and I hope a legit soundtrack release happens because I'll be getting it.

Well well sir, look here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/03/horizon-zero-dawn-soundtrack-out-today-on-spotify/

like this
Anyone notice how Aloy has crooked teeth on the bottom? Quite possibly the first game in history where the protagonist doesn't have perfect teeth? We've reached next gen folks.
hahahaha, i noticed this too.

The game is pretty spectacular. I'm about 5 hours into it right now.

It's nothing like Bloodborne so don't get your hopes to high.

If you like gathering loot/resources and doing quest you will enjoy this game.

just because I love Bloodborne and consider it the best console game of this generation doesn't mean I only play that type of game...I love games of every genre from Mass Effect to Dark Souls to Crysis to Elder Scrolls

I used Kevin Miller for my calibration...Kind of a legend in the industry. Google him.

like this
I read Best Buy does the ISF Calibration for like ~$200 or something like that? Is this true?

Yup, that's typically what a full ISF run costs. If you go private and things get more specific with the person the price can come down a little bit.

Thanks for the soundtrack link.

It's kind of funny: I've been going around trying to guess where this game takes place figuring it would be part of the eventual "big reveal"...and a "vantage point" actually gave it to me... I think?...

Just finished the proving. Amazing game and one of the first times I'm engaged in the story.

Just finished the proving. Amazing game and one of the first times I'm engaged in the story.

I was reading on other forums that the game really takes off after the Proving...I'm guessing that's the name of the level?

I was reading on other forums that the game really takes off after the Proving...I'm guessing that's the name of the level?

It's the entire setup of the game... Tutorial And opening segments leading up to an event called the Proving

Left off Nioh to give Horizon a whirl. Beautiful open world, but it runs @ 30fps. I guess it is something one can adapt to, but coming off Nioh's crisp 60fps it is really noticeable. Especially when panning the camera. It turns this beautiful world into a blury mess.

The other thing is motion control, camera, lock on. For me controlling the camera is a full time job. It is especially challenging during combat. The apparent lack of a simple lock on system has me wondering if I am missing something basic about combat. When I am engaged with more than one Strider or Watcher at a time, things really tend to fall apart control wise and camera wise. Maybe it is a matter of "git gud."

Back