Horizon Forbidden West

I didn't even think of pre-loading the PS4 version as I assumed I would still have to re-download the whole PS5 game again anyways. I think the only game I've upgraded from PS4 to PS5 was FF7 Remake and I thought I had to download the whole game again then. If I only have to download a few GBs on top of this PS4 version of Horizon to upgrade it, then that would be sweet. I figured worst case I could start playing the game already with a partial download as most bigger titles let you start playing after 1/4 or so of the game is downloaded.

That’s not how it works between versions. Each version is a separate SKU in the store. They don’t share data. Hell, they can’t even share save files without developers creating a system to transfer them between versions.

Well shit. I may have preloaded the PS4 version for no reason. Odd times when things are still cross-gen and we’re still figuring all this out. Oh well, if I have to delete and start all over so be it.

That’s not how it works between versions. Each version is a separate SKU in the store. They don’t share data. Hell, they can’t even share save files without developers creating a system to transfer them between versions.
Oops yeah that's right completely forgot this is console version :facepalm:, even if the data is the same, if the SKU is different then the console won't use it. On PC I have a few games installed using Steam and Standalone GoG that share a data directory and only have different "install directories" where the exe's and dll's are different.

Unfortunately, I've let down all of you and had to cave in and get a PS5 on eBay for about 800 bucks. I hate scalpers with every fiber of my being, but I have tried getting a PS5 for like a year. Sorry guys. I gave in. 😭 This game is to blame. Loved the first one. Been eagerly awaiting the sequel. Also bought a 75" Samsung Neo QLED TV to go with it, so that should be fun.

Definitely excited to play this one. I've played through the first one a few times, most recently on PC. I'm sure buy this again when it comes out on PC. Guess I'll give high fidelity mode a try first so see if I can adjust to it. 30fps not great but I'm sure it will look amazing so might be worth it.

I really enjoyed the story in the first game so hoping they continue with some good story telling here.

I just watched Random Side Quest’s 1.5 hour long YouTube video covering the events of HZD, in chronological order. Man there are a lot of nuances to the story I have completely forgotten, and some I don’t think I even picked up on during my playthrough. Good way to prepare for Forbidden West if you have an hour and a half to kill.

Last edited:
I just watched Random Side Quest’s 1.5 hour long YouTube video covering the events of HZD, in chronological order. Man there are a lot of nuances to the story I have completely forgotten, and some I don’t think I even picked up on during my playthrough. Good way to prepare for Forbidden West if you have an hour and a half to kill.
Link me. Was considering playing it all over again, but I sunk over 100 hours into it last time. I think 1.5 hours would be a little easier to refresh my brain.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
PS5 upgrade just became available for download. Full 89GB file.
Yup, just started downloading. Somehow there's no ability to start playing on a partial download like most first part games I've downloaded. 🤦‍♂️

Gotta wait 4 hours at my current download rate. 😒

Yup, just started downloading. Somehow there's no ability to start playing on a partial download like most first part games I've downloaded. 🤦‍♂️

Gotta wait 4 hours at my current download rate. 😒
Normally I’m pretty impatient with these kinds of things and would have just paid the extra $10 for instant gratification. But I’m still finishing up my first Witcher 3 playthrough so I guess that gives me some obscure form of patience :D

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Normally I’m pretty impatient with these kinds of things and would have just paid the extra $10 for instant gratification. But I’m still finishing up my first Witcher 3 playthrough so I guess that gives me some obscure form of patience :DI
I got up at 6am just to start the download when it unlocked here in Europe. I guess I'm going back to bed for a bit now to ease the pain 😅.

Just bought it from the PS store. I have a PS5, I bought the PS4 version, then the 'add to library' option appeared on the PS5 version, so I clicked that and it added the PS5 version to my library. F'ing stupid, but I saved $10.

Reddit is getting hit with multiple posts about an over-sharpening issue when playing in resolution mode. Apparently there is an extreme sharpening effect applied that looks like a very poor implementation of AA. Supposedly it doesn’t exist (or at least isn’t noticeable) in performance mode. I haven’t played yet myself, just giving everyone here a heads-up.

I played it till 3 am and it's awesome. 3 hours and I just got to the start of the Forbidden West area. :)

I am playing in resolution mode. And I did notice an issue with Aloy's hair two or three times for like a second or two, but for the most part I didn't notice anything at all.

This is awesome. They definitely aren't missing a beat and picked right up where the first left off and then some.

https://www.polygon.com/22928062/ho...ormance-resolution-modes-4k-60-fps-comparison

I'm going to pick performance on PS5 because I don't want to be stuck at 30fps. I can feel the difference and I play better at 60fps with anything. I'm willing to make that trade. I can't do 30fps anymore. YMMV.

I put 60+ into Zero Dawn and I'm afraid to start this with Elden Ring coming out in just a week, if I don't dedicate myself to beating it before next Friday I'll drop it for Elden Ring and that's how games get forgotten. Happens to me all the time. Might have to sit it out until I feel "done" with Elden Ring.

I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to balance this game and Elden Ring. Crazy that they're coming out so close to one another. I think my plan is to just go ahead and deep dive into Forbidden West and play Elden Ring whenever I finish it. That'll give them time to patch any major Elden Ring issues and maybe even re-balance any problematic items/enemies they didn't foresee.

I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to balance this game and Elden Ring. Crazy that they're coming out so close to one another. I think my plan is to just go ahead and deep dive into Forbidden West and play Elden Ring whenever I finish it. That'll give them time to patch any major Elden Ring issues and maybe even re-balance any problematic items/enemies they didn't foresee.
That’s my plan

I honestly can't tell the difference in PQ with the 2 modes sitting 10' away on my 65" OLED. So performance is better.
I have a 65" C9 OLED, but pulled my chair up to just 5-6' from it and can definitely tell the difference between the two modes in IQ. Much more shimmering in the grass and stuff and less sharp overall. I think it's mostly due to the checkerboard rendering in that mode, so I wonder if it would look better at just 1440p without checkerboarding like most other games do in performance mode.

For every other PS5 game so far, I've much preferred the extra performance over the usually negligible IQ increase in resolution, but I think I'm going to agree with John in that DF analysis and stick with the resolution mode here.

Would be amazing if they patched the game with a 40 FPS mode on 120Hz TVs though like they did on Ratchet and Clank. Or just frigging update the PS5 for VRR support and unlock the frame rate at 4k if it can stay above 40 FPS.

I’ve played for about 20 min, so just the beginning. I’m playing in performance mode because 30 fps is pretty difficult to adjust to. Yeah there is definitely texture shimmering. Graphics are a mixed bag for me. Lighting is great, world detail is great, animations are pretty good, texture shimmering is bad. Not the ‘wow, next gen’ impression I was naively hoping for. So far the dialogue and objective clues are pretty hamfisted, but that’s to be expected in the introductory section of any game. Anyway I’m still really hyped to jump into the story and great gameplay.

I’ve played for about 20 min, so just the beginning. I’m playing in performance mode because 30 fps is pretty difficult to adjust to. Yeah there is definitely texture shimmering. Graphics are a mixed bag for me. Lighting is great, world detail is great, animations are pretty good, texture shimmering is bad. Not the ‘wow, next gen’ impression I was naively hoping for. So far the dialogue and objective clues are pretty hamfisted, but that’s to be expected in the introductory section of any game. Anyway I’m still really hyped to jump into the story and great gameplay.
Yeah I was noticing some obvious texture filtering LOD and pop-in of small rocks and stuff, in DF's video about the graphics and performance.

I followed this guy when I was playing ZD soon after it launched and found a lot of his content on the game helpful and interesting. So I just looked him up again and he's already posted some good vids on the game. So I'll share him again here.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Man just played for 5 hours straight and now have a back ache. Didn’t even try resolution mode. On my 65 inch C9 I can see some shimmering around aliased areas but it is ok. Game is beautiful in most parts. Still some bugs around Aloy traversal over mountains but that is OK. Definitely feels quite intimidating as the world is very open and large and I am just in the first village area trying to do some sides.

Will give resolution mode a shot but nothing like 60 fps machine killing action.

There are some games where 30fps is enough to tolerate playing an otherwise excellent game. There are literally none where I'd choose that option vs. 60 or more, though. Zero. I don't care what the tradeoff is.

I would have been playing this evening, but my copy got delayed probably due to the storm.

There are some games where 30fps is enough to tolerate playing an otherwise excellent game. There are literally none where I'd choose that option vs. 60 or more, though. Zero. I don't care what the tradeoff is.
absolutely. i don't care if we're talking 1080p vs 4k, i'll take 60 fps every single time. i've reached the point where playing games at 30 fps is *almost* impossible for me unless it's something that's also a truly great game like BotW or TLoU2 (before the ps5 update with 60 fps option.)

Damn I was going to wait until after elden ring to even think about this game. Rethinking that ! Probably buy it after work and crack out on it all weekend. Took Friday off next week for ER binge

OLED owners, what HDR settings are you using? On my LG CX I’m currently using:
Brightness: 0
Shadows: -1
Highlights: -6

But I’m still playing around with it a bit. Would like to hear from others.

Reddit is getting hit with multiple posts about an over-sharpening issue when playing in resolution mode. Apparently there is an extreme sharpening effect applied that looks like a very poor implementation of AA. Supposedly it doesn’t exist (or at least isn’t noticeable) in performance mode. I haven’t played yet myself, just giving everyone here a heads-up.
I'm glad that I am not the only one noticing that the game is overly sharp in resolution mode. Luckily I prefer the crispness of the performance mode and the IQ differences between the mode aren't that noticeable while playing for me. Sure would be nice if Sony would implement VRR already....

OLED owners, what HDR settings are you using? On my LG CX I’m currently using:
Brightness: 0
Highlights: -6

But I’m still playing around with it a bit. Would like to hear from others.
I'm at
Brightness: -2
Highlights: 0

On game mode too of course. It's still slightly blown out looking, but I kinda like that bloom effect too.

Watch out for these aquatic Burrowers! 😁

Just bought it from the PS store. I have a PS5, I bought the PS4 version, then the 'add to library' option appeared on the PS5 version, so I clicked that and it added the PS5 version to my library. F'ing stupid, but I saved $10.

I was wondering how this worked out since I didn't pre order it yet. PS4 version it is if I can just download the PS5 version without downloading the PS4 version as well. Did that on couple games already. Pain in the butt.

It turned out just fine. I bought PS4. Downloaded it which I shouldn’t have done. Then when game got released it said upgrade for free on product page which is what I did. Then I downloaded PS5 version and deleted the PS4 version. Btw in my region on the product page on PS5 I couldn’t select PS4 version so I bought the game on the PS mobile app to get the PS4 version. Wuttanubs at Sony.

It is stupid but money is money.

Last edited:
Back