Hopping on Sandy Bridge!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Heavy Gaming and some minor audio encoding/transcoding. Of course the usual internet browsing etc.​
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around 1K including shipping and handling​
3) Where do you live?
Southern California. Yes, near Microcenter and Fry's both.​
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I will be building from scratch so I will need corrections/recommendations/advice on CPU, MOBO, RAM, HDD, GPU, Case, PSU, and Optical Drive. I do however, have a 22" Monitor (1680x1050) that I plan to be upgrading to something in the ~19x12 much further in the future.​
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
As mentioned before this build will be from the ground up, no existing parts will be used.​
6) Will you be overclocking?
I'm planning on a mild overclock. I think I'll be aiming for 4.5 -- 4.6 GHz.​
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
As mentioned before I currently have a 22", but future plans to upgrade to the ~19x12 range.​
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP.​
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Looking for USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s (future SSD is in consideration). Options for Crossfire/SLI would be nice, but wouldn't be dealbreakers either.​
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes I have access to Windows 7 64bit Professional already.​

I have a preliminary build setup and personally feel it is pretty decent. If anything this is a sanity check to make sure I haven't missed out on any great deals or overlooked something in my haste to purchase.

$180 CPU: Intel i5-2500K (via Microcenter)
$??? MOBO: UNDECIDED
$42 RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
$289 GPU: SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
$60 HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$60 Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1
$90 PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
$16 Optical: LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X
$30 Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212+ (via Microcenter)

Total: $767 + Motherboard (pre-tax, pre-shipping).

Last edited:
Buy as much of your parts as possible from Amazon.com since they do not charge tax to CA residents. In addition they usually have free shipping.

Motherboard wise, I recommend these two:
$180 - MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 ATX Motherboard
$185 - Asus P8P87 Pro Intel P67 ATX Motherboard

Other than that, looks decent to me.

I'm thinking of going with the vanilla P8P67. I don't mind the different NIC and the limitation to crossfire only. Save myself a bit of cash. Thanks for the help! Especially for the amazon tip.

Wait for further announcements regarding the Sandy Bridge issue. Many manufacturers have pulled the H67 and P67 boards from their sites; you may want to RMA your board regardless of how well it's performing now.

Unless there is something else with the chipset that may be potentially wrong, I don't quite follow your line of thinking. I'm not going to be using any off the affected ports so I don't see any issue until I can receive a proper board in april at which time I'll do a swap.

yea it would be pointless to RMA now.. You have it so run it for a few months & Then RMA it..

Back