Hooking up leds for 980ti waterblock

Tricyclthief

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know where or if its possible to buy led's that hook up to the gpu connector like in picture? Would really like to hook up some 3mm led's to that instead of having to run Molex connector

meas.jpg

Does anyone know where or if its possible to buy led's that hook up to the gpu connector like in picture? Would really like to hook up some 3mm led's to that instead of having to run Molex connector

View attachment 13154

What GPU is that? I feel like there is much less standardization as far as GPU connectors go, and each vendor may work differently.

That being said, last time I modded using the connectors on my video card, (Evga 980ti's) the fan connector appeared to use a miniature version of the standard 4-pin fan connector, so it should be possible to use the +12v and ground pins to light up your LED's. Just make sure you don't draw any more watts than the stock fans. Who knows how much those pins can take. That's always a problem when using pins for things they weren't intended for.

If you don't want to sacrifice the stock fan (which I wouldn't due to resale considerations) you can probably buy one of these 4pin mini GPU fan adapters, and cut the connector off, and solder it yourself to the wires for your LED's. Unlike the standard molex plug where yellow is +12v, red is +5v and the two blacks are ground, in this case red is +12v and black is ground.

4-Pin_PWM_Fan_Connector_(Male)_to_4-Pin_Mini_GPU_Fan_Connector_(Female)__85503_zoom.jpg

If you are lazy you could just twist and electrical tape them rather than solder, but that will be less reliable.

Yeah my card is the evga 980ti sc acx 2.0+. It has 2 mini connectors 2 pin each I believe, one for fans and one for the lights on top. Was trying to find either a 2 in 1 blue led to connect to 1 slot on gpu or do each led to its own connector since there's 2.

Am I gonna need any type of ohm resistor with the led? Would like a product/solution that's as simple as possible if I have to make it myself.

Edit: Just got home and it actually has both so if anyone knows of site I can get led's to 4 or 2pin think that will work
P_20161222_171231_LL.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah my card is the evga 980ti sc acx 2.0+. It has 2 mini connectors 2 pin each I believe, one for fans and one for the lights on top. Was trying to find either a 2 in 1 blue led to connect to 1 slot on gpu or do each led to its own connector since there's 2.

Am I gonna need any type of ohm resistor with the led? Would like a product/solution that's as simple as possible if I have to make it myself.

Edit: Just got home and it actually has both so if anyone knows of site I can get led's to 4 or 2pin think that will work
View attachment 13177
Thanks

That is the exact model I used to have two of.

If I am not mistaken the little two pin connector is actually what EVGA uses for their LED logos on the top of the stock ACX cooler.

You should be able to tap into those just fine. Don't worry about polarity. If you get it backwards the worst that will happen is that the LED's won't shine. Then just turn it around and try again.

As far as the connector goes, it seems to be a standard design, but I have no idea what it is called. If you can figure out the part number, IU should be able to order a small baggie of them for not very much money.

Or maybe the size is right for some of those reset switch type wires to just be pressed down over the pins?

I'd imagine the space might become an issue under the block though, so you'll have e to find something that doesn't stick up too much.

What block are you using. On EK blocks there is no room, the plugs are blocked.

What block are you using. On EK blocks there is no room, the plugs are blocked.

On my titan I think I could have made it work, if I really wanted to tap into the fan header. The area above header is milled out in the block, I'd just have to choose thin enough wires so that they don't interfere with the lower portion of the block.

Of course, it would have to be plugged in before attaching the block, otherwise it would be impossible to reach.

On my titan I think I could have made it work, if I really wanted to tap into the fan header. The area above header is milled out in the block, I'd just have to choose thin enough wires so that they don't interfere with the lower portion of the block.

Of course, it would have to be plugged in before attaching the block, otherwise it would be impossible to reach.

Not worth the effort but yea if you wanna start cutting or modding you can but imo its a waste of resources.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think it would require any cutting of the block.

Yea, I'm not gonna be cutting into a $180 block and bp thanks. There's hardly any room to sick plugs in and I don't want my block and gpu tied to plugs because I use QDC's for a reason not to mention having cables coming off the gpu that ya then have to hide. I'd rather use rgb leds connected to a proper controller either thru my mb's built in controller or numerous options for cheap flexible controllers on the market. I think it costed me like 8 bucks for a two 16in rgb strips and a wireless remote controller from amazon. Heck, even my Enthoo Primo is pre-wired for led control and has extra leads to connect plain leds.

I've already stated both plugs are clear and unobstructed, just trying to determine if the connectors i listed are the right ones (2 and 4pin so i can choose which slot i want to use on gpu and the fan connectors cause i plan on removing the molex connectors my other leds are using and replace so i can plug them all into a fan pcb hub) . I would rather run a cable a few inches to the same piece of hardware its attached to than have to snake it around and hide it along the motherboard.

Thanks

Back