Honestly, what the heck is the point of Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotteusMaximus

Limp Gawd
the announcement that HL2 is switching to episodic got me thinking about valve's little experiment in content distribution, and apart from being able to showcase the work of independent devs and offer episodic content more easily, i honestly don't see the benefit of steam to us as gamers. i remember when i first read about steam, i got all excited about the prospect of never having to drive to the store, never having to wait in line, and best of all, cheaper games. too bad it never (at least for me) lived up to the hype.

edit: what follows is my initial rant (rant=bitchy. look it up ;) ) about steam. read it if you want, but it's not necessary. what i really wanted was more opinions on steam, systems like steam, episodic gaming, and whether you think moving toward this model is good or bad. if someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean they just called your mother fat. please keep it civil, and just provide why you like/dislike steam.

1. steam is horribly inconvenient-after i reformatted to x64, i had to reinstall all of my applications. no big deal, i always set aside time for that, and i've got a folder full of CDs, DVDs, and backup images in case i ever need them. then it came time to reinstall HL2. i bought the steam version just so i could preload the game and play it at midnight (HA! i couldn't activate it until the next day), but lo and behold, i forgot my damn password. it took me 15 minutes just to figure it out, and after that, i had to redownload all 4+ gigs of HL2 before i could play. had i not remembered my password, i would've been fucked. people bitch about having to swap CDs when installing a game, but i'd rather swap CDs than have to download the whole game off of valve's slow ass servers. hell, i could've driven to best buy and bought a new copy in the time it took me to download.

edit: i know that you can make backups of your games, but if i'm going to be paying the same amount of money as someone who buys a boxed copy, i'm going to drive to the store and get a professionally stamped copy, complete with box and manual.

edit: i know forgetting my password was my bad, but that really wasn't my big beef with steam. the biggest problem i have is that it hasn't translated into cheaper games for us like they said it would. publishers bitch about having to pay to manufacture and distribute games, but if steam is getting rid of all of that, why are games still the same price as before? people complain when they pay the same price for a new video card but only get a .pdf manual, so how is that different than paying the same price for a game, but not getting anything at all?

2. it's an unnecessary program that takes up unnecessary system resources-unless you want to use workarounds, you have to run steam to play your games. valve has really lowered the amount of memory it takes up, but i remember when it used to take up 40+ megs just by itself. it's not a big deal if you have 2+ gigs of memory, but what about people who only have 512 MB or 1 gig? that's just a waste of resources to have steam running in the background when it's not doing anything.

3. steam isn't lowering the cost of games-the big promise of steam was that valve could cut out the middle man, save money on packaging and distribution, and pass those savings directly onto us, the customers. really now? is that why i paid 60 freaking bucks for HL2? granted, i didn't have to get the silver package, but even the bronze was 50 bucks, the same price as a boxed copy. what did i get for my 60 bucks? a bunch of code that sits on valve's servers, and not a damn thing that physically exists in the real world. i don't know, call me greedy or something, but if i'm paying the same amount of money for less product, something is seriously fucked. where is that money that valve is saving? i sure as hell haven't seen it.

what are your thoughts on steam and other similar forms of content distribution?

[B said:
1. steam is horribly inconvenient[/B]-after i reformatted to x64, i had to reinstall all of my applications. no big deal, i always set aside time for that, and i've got a folder full of CDs, DVDs, and backup images in case i ever need them. then it came time to reinstall HL2. i bought the steam version just so i could preload the game and play it at midnight (HA! i couldn't activate it until the next day), but lo and behold, i forgot my damn password. it took me 15 minutes just to figure it out, and after that, i had to redownload all 4+ gigs of HL2 before i could play. had i not remembered my password, i would've been fucked. people bitch about having to swap CDs when installing a game, but i'd rather swap CDs than have to download the whole game off of valve's slow ass servers. hell, i could've driven to best buy and bought a new copy in the time it took me to download.

The fact that YOU forgot YOUR password is in no way valve's fault.
It is also possible to make backups of the steam game files.

I really like steam, i think it is paving the way for the future.

i dont mind it, works like a charm, never forgotten my pass so no problems for me. I like it. Auto-updates, news, preloading etc...all nice features.

My thoughts are:

ScotteusMaximus said:
1. steam is horribly inconvenient-after i reformatted to x64, i had to reinstall all of my applications. no big deal, i always set aside time for that, and i've got a folder full of CDs, DVDs, and backup images in case i ever need them. then it came time to reinstall HL2. i bought the steam version just so i could preload the game and play it at midnight (HA! i couldn't activate it until the next day), but lo and behold, i forgot my damn password. it took me 15 minutes just to figure it out, and after that, i had to redownload all 4+ gigs of HL2 before i could play. had i not remembered my password, i would've been fucked. people bitch about having to swap CDs when installing a game, but i'd rather swap CDs than have to download the whole game off of valve's slow ass servers. hell, i could've driven to best buy and bought a new copy in the time it took me to download.

You know, there's an option to backup your games to cd/dvd???

That's excatly what I did with hl2 and you don't have to redownload it....

3. steam isn't lowering the cost of games-the big promise of steam was that valve could cut out the middle man, save money on packaging and distribution, and pass those savings directly onto us, the customers. really now? is that why i paid 60 freaking bucks for HL2? granted, i didn't have to get the silver package, but even the bronze was 50 bucks, the same price as a boxed copy. what did i get for my 60 bucks? a bunch of code that sits on valve's servers, and not a damn thing that physically exists in the real world. i don't know, call me greedy or something, but if i'm paying the same amount of money for less product, something is seriously fucked. where is that money that valve is saving? i sure as hell haven't seen it.

Half life 2 got tied up with Valve's publisher at the time, Vivendi.

They couldn't lower the cost because it would undermine vivendi's profits if people could buy the game at a cheaper price. It was more then likely something in the contract between Vivendi and Valve.

I, for one, Love steam and hope more people use it.

Steam allows developers to easily get their product to many consumers without having to rely soley on a publisher to push it to retail. It also allows for higher profits to go directly to them.

Like this for example:
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200602/N06.0208.1901.19923.htm

That was one of the things we noticed when we started to work with Valve. Standard distribution models favor the publisher. Developers almost never see the rewards of their efforts. They’ve got all of the creativity. They’re doing all of the hard work. The only thing they don’t do is finance it. But because the publisher takes all of the financial risk, they get all of the financial rewards. There are exceptions. There are the Valves and ids and Epics of the world that have been very profitable. But for the most part the developers are lucky just to stay open even if they develop a hit. The DICE guys recently said that the console version of Modern Combat had sold a million copies.

GI: And it still wasn’t enough. Didn’t they need four million to make any sort of royalties at all?

Gibson: Four million copies sold before they’ll ever see a dollar of profit. Without going into too much detail, if Red Orchestra sells a million copies over Steam, I’m driving to work in a different Lamborghini every day of the week. (laughs) Not really.

Not to downplay the deal with Destineer. That’s great. We’re very excited about it. Obviously, getting the game into stores has been one of our dreams ever since we started making games. We want to walk into a store and see it. We’ve got a very good publishing deal with Destineer, probably one of the best publishing deals you can get in this industry. But the digital distribution deal and the way it’s structured, it so favors the developer. It puts the reward back into the hands of the guys that created the game. I just think that’s only going to result in better games in the long run.

Hyperblau said:
The fact that YOU forgot YOUR password is in no way valve's fault.
It is also possible to make backups of the steam game files.

I really like steam, i think it is paving the way for the future.
the fact that i forgot my password isn't the problem i have, it's the fact that if you forget it, you have no way of accessing what you've already paid for. if you lose your game CDs (much less likely to happen than forgetting your password), you can always borrow a friend's copy to install and play (i'm actually not sure on the legalities of this, but it seems like it should be alright considering you've both already given your money to the publisher), but you can't do this with steam.

making backups of steam games might solve the problem of having to redownload everything, but tell me this: why should i have to provide my own CDs or DVDs to make a backup when i'm paying the same price as someone who goes to best buy and gets a cool box and case already printed for them?

Stiler said:
You know, there's an option to backup your games to cd/dvd???

That's excatly what I did with hl2 and you don't have to redownload it....
i know that, and it's just an extra hassle that valve passes onto you without cutting you a break on things like price.

Stiler said:
Half life 2 got tied up with Valve's publisher at the time, Vivendi.

They couldn't lower the cost because it would undermine vivendi's profits if people could buy the game at a cheaper price. It was more then likely something in the contract between Vivendi and Valve.
hmm, that might be true. do you know if that's still the case? i mean, it's been almost 2 years since HL2 came out, and the price only dropped from 40 bucks to 30 just recently.

Anthem515 said:
Guys, bottom line is, steam is the biggest piece of crap in the world.

End of story!

Thats bullshit. The people who are having problems are in the minority. Most people using Steam have had no major issues at all.

ScotteusMaximus said:
the fact that i forgot my password isn't the problem i have, it's the fact that if you forget it, you have no way of accessing what you've already paid for. if you lose your game CDs (much less likely to happen than forgetting your password), you can always borrow a friend's copy to install and play (i'm actually not sure on the legalities of this, but it seems like it should be alright considering you've both already given your money to the publisher), but you can't do this with steam.

making backups of steam games might solve the problem of having to redownload everything, but tell me this: why should i have to provide my own CDs or DVDs to make a backup when i'm paying the same price as someone who goes to best buy and gets a cool box and case already printed for them?

Your making an awful big fuss over such a small issue, the fact of the matter is, you forgot YOUR password, you didnt take advantage of the backup option(the fact your complaining about having to supply your on cd or dvd is lame, they cost less than a dollar), YOU CHOSE TO BUY IT OVER STEAM! when there was the option to get your pretty little case and printed cd.

Steam is an awesome platform, and if you dont like it, go to the store and get your pretty boxes and your printed dvd.

ScotteusMaximus, I completely agree with you and I see exactly where you are coming from.

For 2 years I grappled with Steam. I hated it. Refused to use it. Eventually I gave in.

Yes, thats right, I gave in. About a month ago I DLed Steam and loaded my original HL series games. Then I bought HL2.

Now, while I haven't had any problems with using Steam or my games and I loved HL2 I still have complaints about it.

And I agree with you completely even though I am a convert. I still think Steam sucks, its still a waste of space on my HDD and I still don't like the fact that I don't have a physical copy of a CD or a manual or even a box. And I am aware that I can make a copy of my game.

Now, I haven't yet formed an opinion on the Episodic HL or whatever it is Gabe and Valve are planning on doing now because there is a lack of information. But as more info is released on it over time I will most likely have an opinion.

as far as the cost that was vivendi universal not wanting it cheaper on steam becasue they were afraid of no one buying box copies.

expect to see cheaper titles to come.

ScotteusMaximus said:
the announcement that HL2 is switching to episodic got me thinking about valve's little experiment in content distribution, and apart from being able to showcase the work of independent devs and offer episodic content more easily, i honestly don't see the benefit of steam to us as gamers. i remember when i first read about steam, i got all excited about the prospect of never having to drive to the store, never having to wait in line, and best of all, cheaper games. too bad it never (at least for me) lived up to the hype.

edit: i know that you can make backups of your games, but if i'm going to be paying the same amount of money as someone who buys a boxed copy, i'm going to drive to the store and get a professionally stamped copy, complete with box and manual.

2. it's an unnecessary program that takes up unnecessary system resources-unless you want to use workarounds, you have to run steam to play your games. valve has really lowered the amount of memory it takes up, but i remember when it used to take up 40+ megs just by itself. it's not a big deal if you have 2+ gigs of memory, but what about people who only have 512 MB or 1 gig? that's just a waste of resources to have steam running in the background when it's not doing anything.

what are your thoughts on steam and other similar forms of content distribution?

Wow man. You didn't notice that you also got DoD:S with the silver package? You just got that for 10 bucks man, and you said no games were cheaper with Steam. Also ever hear of PRE-ORDERING THROUGH STEAM? There are percentage discounts. Also the fact that you're bitching about forgetting your password and making it sound like it's Valve's fault is just ridiculous. There is no reason why you had to re-downloaded HL2, it must have been user error as far as I know. So basically your entire bitchy babbling post was for nothing because it was pretty much entirely flawed.

I dont care what anybody say but...

Steam will always be an enemy of almost everyone. It is the source of anger, frustration, and sometimes attempted suicides. (well, not that far but you know what i mean)

Let me point out that Steam is still just beginning. There have only been a couple of non-Valve titles put out on it and the first episode is just now preparing to come out. As with every new technology it can take time for the bugs to be worked out as well as time for companies to adopt it. I think it is a great service and it won't be long before people will say "buy a game in a store? screw that, why can't I just download it?"

BTW, if you aren't using a partitioned drive or external to backup data like this you are only making things worse for yourself. Right now I can reload my operating system and be right back into HL2 without any fuss.

I never had a problem with Steam.. but the thing that scares me is that others (like EA) are planning the same distribution model... I want to know what's going to happen when more vendors use this model? Are we going to have 4-5 different icons for different vendors on our taskbar? I wish they could make some sort of universal model or something. Other than that.. I have no problem with it "for now". I do however like my DVD boxed copies better though.

magnetik said:
I never had a problem with Steam.. but the thing that scares me is that others (like EA) are planning the same distribution model... I want to know what's going to happen when more vendors use this model? Are we going to have 4-5 different icons for different vendors on our taskbar? I wish they could make some sort of universal model or something. Other than that.. I have no problem with it "for now". I do however like my DVD boxed copies better though.

I thought of the same thing once EA, released BF2: Special Forces on there system. But the thing is, we wont see this a for a while now. Box copies are still going to be in production for a long time. I mean people are still on Dial Up!!!! Now if they follow like Steam does where you have use that platform to launch the game, then we might be in for some trouble there. I agree once it starts to get out of hand, all of them need to sit down and form a universal one. Steam probably should be the one used, as it is the one thats been out for so long now, and already has major bugs worked out!!!!

I have no issues with Steam and I like the way it updates all the programs that I own automatically.
I got the HL2 Bronze package free with my old 9600XT video and paid the $10 extra to go to Silver to get Dod: Source and a few other :Source versions of the older games.

I also own BF2 and BF2:SF and let me tell you, I spent 3 days trying to get BF2:SF to load on my machine since the 2 patches which total about 400megs had issues.

I have 512mb of memory, and i have no problems with steam (now azureus, my BT client, oh shit is that a different story). I mean, the only game i play now is CS 1.6. Although I prefer the old WON system (do to its simplicity), steam does a pretty good job of doing what it was meant to do.

One thing I do not like is the prices. First of, a lot of the mods cost $. If steam was never to begin with, perhaps all these great source mods would be free. Think about it, if CS was distributed first through steam (if in 1999 steam existed), do you think it would have still been free? The fact that it was free allowed many people to play it. Not pay $$ for HL and then another $$ for the cs mod.

But then again, these modders/coders do a great job and have spent countless hours creating mods for the source engine. They do deserve the pay, but sometimes I feel that the ease of making people pay for the mods allow them to actually charge people. Oh well, life isn't perfect.

I started out with a burning hatred for steam when it was first released... but now that its been around for awhile, I think its finally worked up to what Valve first dreamed of. I love the idea of being able to buy a game and just download it on the spot through it, and have it sitting there in my account. I always seem to lose game CDs and keys, so steam actually helps me out a lot.... no need to worry about cd keys or CDs, just load the game up in steam and there you go.

Steam has never been a resource hog for me..

Your third point however, I'm divided on. I really liked it when I had all the files of Half Life on my computer, all the folders and such. I played HLDM and Op4DM a lot, and I got pretty into it, to the point where I had a crazy config file with all kinds of little scripts and what not for long jumping, and zoom shooting with the crossbow, and custom crosshairs and everything. But now with Steam, I can't see any of the directories I want to access to modify stuff... so that kind of irritates me. It can still be done though, by just placing the modified things in the folders where they should be, but I still wish I could see all the files.

while i do agree that the there should be a price discount when you order online instead of buying the boxed verion (which i did) i do think steam is the way of the future. The ammount of resources it uses is minimal considering you do not have to run it all the time only if your play ing and it takes up a very small amount of ram and under most cercumstances no cpu usage. delivering updates automatically (steams download servers do suck but thats besides the point really) and allowing you to play anywhere (as long as you have the time to download the content) with or without your cds on hand. it really is a revolutionary content delivery system it just needs tweaked and given some more powerful servers with better bandwidth.

Syphon Filter said:
Thats bullshit. The people who are having problems are in the minority. Most people using Steam have had no major issues at all.

I agree. I'm also sick of bitching about servers being busy after an update. Does anyone remember when you had to search the web, and pray that you found a site with the new CS update, and it wasn't getting hammered. Now it autoupdates, if Its busy I get a place in line, and I don't have to search for it.

alll of the issues seem to be petty things are really problems with you. You lost your own password....
Whats the big deal about not having a physical disk??? You need to coddle with it while you sleep or something???

With the cost of technology to deliver the content, the end user isn't going to see much in the way of discounts. Why replace one middleman in a publisher with another in Steam? Every developer will make their own, and the consumer will foot the bill.

yes bandwidth costs money but so does making a box, several cds, a manual, etc and then paying to truck it to every back woods walmart in the country...

i am not a lover of steam, but it has gotten way better, and you could just make copy all your steam folders on another harddrive so you dont have to redownload them. and you only need one blank dvd which is less than a dollar. if you want it on disc. 4 bucks if you want a dual layer disk.

as for passwords, thats up to you to remember, right it down, make a text file. make it something you cant forget etc.

i hate install discs. i hate loading a game disc to play, or having to acess the dvd/cdrom for files.

one reason i bought the steam version to download, was no discs, and not having a disc in the drive to play, so many people who bought retail versions bitched that they did not have that option and thats partially what led to making up the backups or converting to run off steam alone. and while hl2 was not cheaper through steam, buying the bundles deals saved money as css and dods are retail products on their own once again.

and all the new games offered are $20 bucks or less through steam, with a free demo, and $12-$15 for the first week or so of release. a couple are around $30 but many of those games at the store will be $30-$40 if you can even get it.

problems i have with steam

friends is worthless and broken.

many updates nerf your favorites lists, and you have to go through bullshit to get them back. if it works.

VAC2 is non-existant and does nothing, vac 1 is a joke.

shit people have paid money for, and nowhere to be found or fixed almost 2 years after release.

bottom line, if you hate it so much , dont buy their games or use steam.

the thing i like most about steam is i have a ton of games i can play by just picking one and launching it. sucks most are really old games, but still good, however more new ones are coming out. so that problem will go away, and well see more developers release through online to save costs.

Alias said:
I agree. I'm also sick of bitching about servers being busy after an update. Does anyone remember when you had to search the web, and pray that you found a site with the new CS update, and it wasn't getting hammered. Now it autoupdates, if Its busy I get a place in line, and I don't have to search for it.

man i remember having to wait a day or two sometimes to get one of the larger updates. cause they would only let so many sites host it. what a pain that was.

then waiting for servers to patch, or you could not play.

Playing HL2 right now good game, nothing great, but good. Anyways my question is does steam act lit a BT client?? While i'm on steam is it using my computer to download patchs'/content/ect to other people's computers ?

Steam is pretty convenient, not only does it consolidate Valve's (and some others?) games in one location it gets rid of any type of media you may have had to keep track of in the past. If for some case you'd rather not download a butt-load of data after a fresh install you could always go the backup route.

Not to mention the amount of waste that is probably prevented using their method. Yeah, it may have had some problems in the past but they seemed to have ironed out the majority of the kinks. Its a good service-- for those with fast lines.

I love steam. Never had any problems with it aside from sometimes slow dl speeds. After deleting my clientregistry.blob, I can get well over 3.0 mb a second on a 5 mb cable connection.

Nasty_Savage said:
With the cost of technology to deliver the content, the end user isn't going to see much in the way of discounts. Why replace one middleman in a publisher with another in Steam? Every developer will make their own, and the consumer will foot the bill.

Because the developers that use steam reap more profits whereas the ones that use publishers generally end up seeing a LOT less profit margin...

Plus how do you know the customers won't see any discounts? Steam is great for indie games and such that can't afford to tackle a huge publisher and it still allows them a huge market because the popularity of valve/half-life/steam in general.

Boxed copys are "always" nice, I remember buying UK2004 and the disc failed to work add to it alot of other CD's that fail to work after a year, the mess of CDs having to load them in and out, having to search for updates and wait in line with crappy d/l speeds, and losing cd-keys.

Steam protects developer property without being intrusive. Honestly I have yet to see one reasonable/valid complaint in this thread.

has anyone backed up thier steam games and restored them?
I am still running a 2 year install of XP, that I had upgraded the mobo/proc/ram/video card 3 times so far, and haven't had to do a clean install yet. :)
I was thinking of doing a clean install with a new main drive and was wondering about backing up and restoring my steam stuff since it is 9.43gigs.

Then here is one... You buy the game, you can play it when you get home on CD. There have been many times I've built a fresh system (or borked an existing one), gone to Steam, and been told "Server too busy". Since the cost is about the same as retail boxes, the biggest advantage is not having to deal with the CD in the drive - which is something I usually patch for anyhow.

TekSomniaK said:
Wow man. You didn't notice that you also got DoD:S with the silver package? You just got that for 10 bucks man, and you said no games were cheaper with Steam. Also ever hear of PRE-ORDERING THROUGH STEAM? There are percentage discounts. Also the fact that you're bitching about forgetting your password and making it sound like it's Valve's fault is just ridiculous. There is no reason why you had to re-downloaded HL2, it must have been user error as far as I know. So basically your entire bitchy babbling post was for nothing because it was pretty much entirely flawed.
whoa, no need to shout man. did i not say that i know i bought the silver package? did i not say that i bought the steam copy so i could preload HL2? i know i got DoD:S for the extra 10 bucks, but remember that it didn't come out until way after HL2, and there was no percentage discount for that game. you either paid 50 bucks for the game, 60 bucks for the game and DoD, or 70 (80?) bucks for the extra collector's edition stuff.

as for forgetting my password, i know that that was my fault, but that wasn't my main point, just an extra irritation.

hungryduck said:
Whats the big deal about not having a physical disk??? You need to coddle with it while you sleep or something???
no, that's what my girlfriend is for. my big issue with not having a physical product is that valve charged (is charging?) the same amount of money and giving you less. whenever you hear about how broken the current distribution model is, you hear publishers talk about how expensive it is to manufacture, package, and distribute their games. they always include that as a significant part of their price breakdown. now that valve has effectively gotten rid of all of that, where is the savings for us? no box, no jewel case, no disc, no manual, and it still costs the same?

Regardless, I work too hard to tweak my system to give up resources to a hog like Steam or worse, Starforce :) I prefer the media, and ones without draconian copy protection...

I've never had a problem with Steam, I actually quite like it, and I'm kinda excited about episodic content.

Lazy_Moron said:
Steam probably should be the one used, as it is the one thats been out for so long now, and already has major bugs worked out!!!!

Like resource hogging, not being able to play games offline, not being able to change usernames, favorites getting erased, constant crashes, server outages, slow download speeds, unnecessary gui, usless cheat prevention, useless friends list, servers crashing, no physical game copies, slow backups, etc...

Shadowspawn said:
I think it is a great service and it won't be long before people will say "buy a game in a store? screw that, why can't I just download it?"

Pirates already do that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back