HoN

aintz

[H]ard|Gawd
anybody bought hon??? retails next week!!! lets go play

Heroes of Newerth, a DOTA clone the maker of DOTA supports and is backed by a great dev team. This game kicks ass as it is pretty damn balanced and doesn't require daily play (you start fresh each game which take 30m-1h). I never played DOTA but got a beta invite to HON last year and preordered after a month of playing I was so impressed.

Heroes of Newerth, it's a remake of DotA but it's a standalone game with matchmaking, replays, stat recording, constant updates and hero additions, etc.

I pre-purchased the game back in August or September last year, I've put over 350 hours into it so it's one of the best $30 I've ever spent.

I think they took too long to release. A bunch of my friends and I played HoN a lot back in december, but we've lost interested by now due to SC2. We're playing a ton of SC2 beta and with SC2 coming out so soon, I'm expecting a SC2 version of Dota anyway.

I never heard of this game either! Thanks for bringing it up, they just got my 30 bucks.

HoN needs team matchmaking. I'm actually sorely disappointed that they did not get Team match making in to the beta (at least it appears it will not be in till after retail) as that definitely will make or break the game for me.

I'm expecting a SC2 version of Dota anyway.

I would have agreed with you, but it looks like Icefrog might move on to do other things (based on his blog posts anyway). Nothing is certain of course, and I'd love nothing more than SC2 Dota, but I'm expecting a zillion poorly done clones.

Last edited:
atm there around 65k players at peak time. but thats going to drop alot next week when beta ends. good bye all you brazillians.

its definiately worth 30bux. unlike l4d1 and l4d2 which i bought at 60bux each and play maybe 20h each at lans lol.

I play and will def buy the game.

My game name is : FerraraZ

Feel free to add me!

Hey guys i play, and i just stole this sweet name by prepurchasing. You can pm me at FerraraZ if you wanna play.

i dunno, this game got one of the worst community ever. And this game makes you rage a lot...

i dunno, this game got one of the worst community ever. And this game makes you rage a lot...

you mean like shit talkers? or what as far as community goes? I only had time to run through tutorial last night, and expect to be raped my first 50 games, so i am curious.

I'm giving thought to buying the game just to be able to watch replays. Playing the actual game gives me headaches, it's like playing chess for 1 hour straight without looking anywhere other than the board.

i find the communities of this genre of game tend to be the suck immature ragers etc.. i may just have bad luck though.

HoN is definitely worth the 30 bucks. It even comes with a tutorial and other things to help new people get into the game, and it has a high ceiling for skill.

atm there around 65k players at peak time. but thats going to drop alot next week when beta ends. good bye all you brazillians.

its definiately worth 30bux. unlike l4d1 and l4d2 which i bought at 60bux each and play maybe 20h each at lans lol.

what's up with the Brazilian hate?

anyway, i've been playing it on and off for about a month now, it is a good game, however i really miss Puck :(

I think hon is better. But diff opinions. Lol has significant players (according to xfire) So im not going to bad mouth it like others would. The graphics are a little loony cartoony for me compared to Hon graphics however.

i never tried lol because it looks ugly imo. well now mym accepted HoN so its going to become alot more popular.

the only problem I have with HoN is that playing 4v5 is too frequent... I dont know how many times I joined a game only for someone to disconnect and the other team not wanting to remake...

the only problem I have with HoN is that playing 4v5 is too frequent... I dont know how many times I joined a game only for someone to disconnect and the other team not wanting to remake...

That's going to happen in just about any game though. It's happened in LoL a few times, L4D, etc.

As for graphics, does not make a difference to me at all. Any gameplay comparisons?

That's going to happen in just about any game though. It's happened in LoL a few times, L4D, etc.

As for graphics, does not make a difference to me at all. Any gameplay comparisons?

Since I've played with you, :p

HoN is very similar to DOTA, well it's an exact DOTA clone in terms of gameplay and tactics pretty much. I'm going to compare this to LoL since I assume that's your baseline.

In HoN, the map is much bigger than SR so there's a lot less focus on early game ganking and much more on early game farming and denying (killing your own creeps when they're low to deny the enemy of creep experience/gold). This aspect alone in my opinion will frustrate a lot of new players because if you play with people who are experienced, many will rage at you for not last hitting or denying, etc. Remember, it's like last hitting in LoL but now you must also keep an eye on your own creeps HP and manually target them using hotkeys (you can't just right click to kill them IIRC unless they changed that, but I doubt they would)

There is less of a focus on pushing than there is in LoL. Towers are also much much stronger and it's a pretty dumb idea to try and dive it unlike LoL. The main focus of HoN is early game harassment/denying and then farming. HoN has the concept of "hard" carries. Basically this means that 1 carry hero when farmed can basically wipe a team by themselves if given the chance. So a lot of your game is focused around letting the hard carry farm farm farm while ganking the other team's carry and then pushing late game and having your carry destroy everybody.

Most good games are around 45-60 minutes long.

And since I know you play 3v3 TT in LoL, the 3v3 map in HoN IIRC is nothing like it. It's just basically a smaller version of the 5v5 map but the gameplay is still the same in terms of strategy and such.

Also, I would strongly recommend you try DOTA first before HoN. I personally think it's a waste of 30 but that's another issue and you can PM me if you want to know why I think that. It'd be a shame for you to pay 30 bucks and then find out you hate the way it plays.

And in regards to 3v3, don't expect too many players to play it vs 5v5. 5v5 is pretty much the standard game for HoN. I'd say CC becomes much more important in the smaller games but because there's items like BKB (full CC immunity for like 10 seconds) it's not as important as CC is in LoL.

There's also less AoE gib fests and more like carries farming huge damage items and 3-4 shotting you with crits while support is mainly stunning/rooting/disabling you.

I'd also add that I started with DOTA first and played dota since it was called Aeon of Strife and then progressed to HoN then to LoL.

The reason I switched was because when I play HoN I always felt like, zomb srsbzn vs LoL which is fun and casual for me.

i like hon better than dota because after it retails this week stats will not reset unless you want to pay more money. this is good because it will effectivly get rid of all the leavers.

dota with tda was fine, i would still be playing it but my friend got my account banned and im too lazy to go through the process of making a new one.

Other than the fact that HoN is down for me right now, huge patch today iirc, I enjoy it much more than DotA or LoL. I loved WC3 but I am one of many people that feels the engine is just limited for the gametype, mostly simple things but they add up for the end user experience.

LoL is fun, but it just seems like a dumbed down version of DotA. No denying is nice when you're starting out but after that it kind of sucks, especially if you get outpicked. I tried my best to go into LoL unbiased but I just don't get the same enjoyment out of it. HoN got my money after 5 games last year, I think it easily deserves your $30 if you want a more fast-paced and hardcore variant to LoL.

i like more competitive games, the deny/last hit is a very imporant part of gameplay. casual players just stick with easy mode.

the new hardmode is way to hard. no passive gold gain is gg for alot of heroes that is much harder to last hit with.

i like more competitive games, the deny/last hit is a very imporant part of gameplay. casual players just stick with easy mode.

the new hardmode is way to hard. no passive gold gain is gg for alot of heroes that is much harder to last hit with.
Are you serious? There's a hardmode now? LOL

Oh god, segregate the community more plz.

lol.:rolleyes:

You realize anyone with a brain can learn how to deny/last hit right? It takes a bit to get into the mentality to always check creep health but please don't act like it's hard or anything because it's really not.

That hard mode sounds pretty awesome to me.

try playing with any decent players and you'll see deny/last hit isnt such a easy thing. im thinking you are probably noob or have never played the game.

back on topic: over 23k players still playing impressive, i was expecting 10kish.

try playing with any decent players and you'll see deny/last hit isnt such a easy thing. im thinking you are probably noob or have never played the game.

back on topic: over 23k players still playing impressive, i was expecting 10kish.

yea but nowhere near the 60k peak we used to have. Thought many more people were going to buy.

Let me know how many are playing in 4 weeks. I am serious because I'd love to know what the real population is long term. A ton of people bought it up right then and are playing it obsessively still. I'll be sure to bump this post then.

This has to be the hardest thread to read. Theres more initials than the military. Somebody needs to make a cheat sheet for us noobs. Here let me try:
HoN = Heroes of Newerth
DOTA = ??? Defense of the Ancients (google)
SC2 = Starcraft 2
LoL = League of Legends (most common Laugh Out Loud)
mym = ??? Meet Your Makers (google)
L4D = Looking for Dead?
SR = ???
HP = Hit Points
TT = ???
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
PM = Private Message
CC = ??? (I know it as Crowd Control but I am guessing it is used differently in this thread)
BKB = ??? Black King Bar (not an easy google find)
AoE = Area of Effect
TDA = ???
WC3 = Warcraft 3
GG = ???
All of these initials were used just in this one thread. Some of them are for things inside the game HoN and only players of that game will know what they are. Allot of the others are games other than HoN. Some are terms commonly used in games, and a couple of them are terms commonly used in forums.
I consider myself a Gamer, maybe not an "Avid" gamer but I do play video games, and I had no clue what your all talking about. I have figured out enough that I will be checking into HoN further :)

HoN = Heroes of Newerth
+1
DOTA = Defense of the Ancients
+1, original(mostly) mod for WC3 that really invented the genre.
SC2 = Starcraft 2
+1
LoL = League of Legends
+1
mym = Meet Your Makers
+1, formerly Curse Gaming. They now support HoN which means it has alot more credibility and will hopefully continue to grow in the competitive scene alongside DotA.
L4D = Looking for Dead?
-1, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, the guy was just comparing price to quality.
-1, Summoner's Rift, map for League of Legends.
HP = Hit Points
+1
Twisted Treeline, another map for League of Legends for 3v3 play.
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
+1
PM = Private Message
+1
CC = Crowd Control
+1
BKB = Black King Bar
+1, item in DotA that allows on-use to make the wearer immune to magic for a set amount of time. A mostly identical item exists in HoN that is called Hex Shrunken Head. The names are fairly interchangeable as most who play HoN played DotA previously and know the original name.
AoE = Area of Effect
+1
TDA = ???
-1, TDA is a DotA clan primarily dedicated to maintaining a white list and a black list of players to weed out both new/awful players and griefers/leavers.
WC3 = Warcraft 3
+1
-1, Good Game.

My roommate and I play the game regularly. I'm pretty good, I had a 1.8 KDR before the reset.

matchmaking really needs to be fixed, soembody always dcs at load and you have to wait 3mins :(.

Back