Homeworld

So sad. Homeworld was one of the best games I have ever played. I consider it up there with Starcraft and Baldur's Gate.

Where are all the good games these days? I am soooo sick of FPS games. (Although they are really pretty)

Sierra / Vivendi own the publishing rights to the series and with Relic in the full time employ of THQ (Company of Heroes / Warhammer 40k), we're probably not going to see it. Which is sad since more than 8 years on from Homeworld 1, games rarely make any use of the third dimension.

not too many people like it.
i loved capturing half of the multi beam frigates from the garden. and half of the ships that were in a sphere protecting the inhibitor. they nurfed it a bit in 2.

a game that was ok, but not great and used starcr*ap was space wolves.
used 3d movement also. fighter based combat, with a free moving camera.

not exactly 3d, but ive been a fan of sword of the stars recently.
very good combat style.

I liked the first one but after beating it couldnt stay with it. HW2 is still one of my favorite RTS's, so much fun.

Excellent game! Speak of the devil!!! my dad just brought back 2 games from storage in California 2 weeks ago... One of which was Homeworld!

Great game. I actually just played through Homeworld 2 again back in January. I really wish they would come out with another sequel.

hate the ai system in the hw2 campaign though, it give the enemy like 50% more ships than you no matter what, and a fleet designed specifically to counter exactly what you have.

hint: when having fun, dont give yourself a ton of the big battle cruisers. i did that once and the enemy had like 100 of the damn things.

not too many people like it.
i loved capturing half of the multi beam frigates from the garden. and half of the ships that were in a sphere protecting the inhibitor. they nurfed it a bit in 2.

a game that was ok, but not great and used starcr*ap was space wolves.
used 3d movement also. fighter based combat, with a free moving camera.

not exactly 3d, but ive been a fan of sword of the stars recently.
very good combat style.
I spent a week capturing EVERY Ion Frigate in that sphere. I'd send a scout to pull two or three at a time to my cloaked salvage frigs. Slowly but surely I amassed a fleet so large that Hyperspacing out of there I had a line of ships so long it went off the screen...

Imagine my disgust when I encountered the same number of Tiidani ships when I got to Hiigara. My poor AthlonXP choked on the sheer number of ships entering combat simultaneously and over the course of the next 15 seconds, displayed four or five frames of the action. It was like looking at a series of photographs that led up to my mothership's destruction. I was so pissed that I never tried again.

About a month later I found out that the number of enemy ships encountered depended on how many cap ships you had in your inventory upon hyperspacing. Yeah, that didn't work so well with my policy of "Capture every enemy capital ship possible"...

I spent a week capturing EVERY Ion Frigate in that sphere. I'd send a scout to pull two or three at a time to my cloaked salvage frigs. Slowly but surely I amassed a fleet so large that Hyperspacing out of there I had a line of ships so long it went off the screen...

Imagine my disgust when I encountered the same number of Tiidani ships when I got to Hiigara. My poor AthlonXP choked on the sheer number of ships entering combat simultaneously and over the course of the next 15 seconds, displayed four or five frames of the action. It was like looking at a series of photographs that led up to my mothership's destruction. I was so pissed that I never tried again.

About a month later I found out that the number of enemy ships encountered depended on how many cap ships you had in your inventory upon hyperspacing. Yeah, that didn't work so well with my policy of "Capture every enemy capital ship possible"...

wholy mackrels batman!
its pretty much the same thing i did (and was running an athlon 1800+ with an 8500)

Cloacked salvages with a captured carrier parked not too far off.
and a few backup salvage freagates near by.
usually, when you pull 1, another 2 ships would tag a long.
so i would capture those too :D
weeeeeheee!

never knew that about the last mission :confused:

but i did think that it would have been impossible if i did not have all those.

at a certain point, on the tac map, the icons disappeared.
the vid card could not handle all the ships so some appeared as simple 3d wireframes (ala mechwarrior 2 enchased vision mode)

d@mn...

when you remember a game like that, then you know it was a good one.

well somebody needs to capture all those ships on one of todays video cards... 8600GT SLI or a 8800GT or something.
just to see what it should have looked like back then.
rather than it crapping out under load.
and use Fraps to record it and upload it so we can see the action :p

Youtube video... in case you dont know what Homeworld looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH-eZ9UOPto

In HW1 I took probably half of the Ion Frigates in the sphere and didnt have too much of a lag out but i didnt think the final level was that hard after i realized i needed to split my forces into 3 groups. I loved Homeworld but hated HW2. If you kicked ass in one campaign on the next one no matter how hard it should be they always had ALOT more ships and got your ass handed to you. If we wouldve gotten what relic originally planned for HW2 (aka dusk wars) i think it would be right up there with HW1. Any fans of Cataclysm. It was OK but i loved the Dreadnoughts design. I wouldve so bought a model of that and the Tiidan heavy cruiser if they ever came out with them.

For those seeking a Homeworld fix, you might want to check out Sins of a Solar Empire ... it's an absolute blast, exactly what the space strategist is looking for.

well somebody needs to capture all those ships on one of todays video cards...

I did this recently on my x1900xt. I must have spent 8 or 9 hours just on that Ion frigate level. I would load the game and spend 1-2 hours capturing ships, then save and let it sit for a couple days. It was tedious, but eventually I had every one of them.

When the next level started they showed up in the default line formation, and spanned over half of the level. It was pretty hilarious. It took me 10 minutes to get them into a tight sphere formation and by then I was getting about 3 FPS. When they all started firing it was closer to 1 FPS. The last level was a joke at this point. Anything that came in range of the ion frigates exploded immediately. The performance was terrible, but I was kicking so much ass it didn't matter.

Dammit, I should have made a video, or at least kept my saves.

For those seeking a Homeworld fix, you might want to check out Sins of a Solar Empire ... it's an absolute blast, exactly what the space strategist is looking for.

yes, but Sword of the Stars captures homeworld style combat much better.

in swords, you can actually destroy parts of the ship, say the engines, the cockpit, the main fuselage.. very cool like that.

Quoted for 100% Truth!* Did the exact same thing on my AthlonXP and dear lord there were a lot of ships.

Homeworld 1 goes down as one of my top 5 greatest and most favorite games. Homeworld: Cataclysm was very fun and a great story. Homeworld 2 lost some of its "essense" but was still a damn great game. Love em all. I really wish they'd make a new one :(

* Instead...I actually did try it again right after (captured less ships / about half the cube) and won. =)

someone still needs to capture them all with 8800GTXs SLI then... that sounds like an impressive video if recorded with over 30fps!!!!

Only played HW 1, one of my top five games. The guard dog in the level where you go through the salvage yard pissed me off, so imagine my joy when I discovered that it was vurnable to a grav well. I grav welled that SOB and had my whole fleet kill him. He must have had like a mothershipload of hp too...

Heh, funny all of you talk about capturing all those ion frigates, I should try that some time. I would always beat that level by luring the ships out with a carrier based force of fighter bombers and corvettes, then flank them with my fleet of destroyers and 2 heavy cruisers. Tedious and sometimes costly but it worked pretty well.

I don't know how many times I played through the storyline to try and kill that guard dog level before I found the grav well trick too........

Never went out and got HW2........ Some friends did and said it had no comparison to HW1, so I think that influenced my decision.

Back