Homefront is...

Kahnvex

2[H]4U
A gigantic pile of dogshit, in my opinion.

This is a huge long bitch thread, yes, but I just beat the game in 4 hours and immediately put it back in the Gamefly envelope. Got it today, it goes back tomorrow. I almost quit playing it halfway through the first level, but I pushed on, just so I could crap all over it to anyone who would listen.

TL;DR version - I hated it, a LOT.

I can't comment on the multiplayer, so I'll relegate my comments to single player only on the Xbox 360

I haven't completed a less enjoyable game in some time. From the moment the game begins, and attempts to paint a grim picture of an occupying force performing atrocities in our homeland by using shock, gore, and over-dramatic heart wrenching scenes of violence, it's revealed its hand. The only thing this game was lacking in the tour-de-horrible down Main Street at the beginning, was a 'drop-off-your-dog, because we're going to eat it in front of you' scene. I guarantee you, that idea is on the "NO!" side of a whiteboard somewhere in some disappointed game designers' office over at Kaos

After the first 15 minutes, it's all downhill from there. If they were trying to make a serious point to evoke emotion and set a dramatic backdrop with the 'hometown holocaust' vibe, they overshadowed the absolute hell out of it with blatant in-game advertising from today's current advertising products. This immediately cheapens any gravitas the plot attempts to create.

If the in-your-face-advertising doesn't do it for you, the lame voice acting attached to cliched and boring dialogue, with characters straight out of a direct-to-dvd movie release should round out this crap sandwich.

It's apparent what they were trying to do, and I have to give them credit for the attempt, but the end result falls flat. These guys should be working for somebody who can come in and say to them, "that's a good effort, but what you've achieved here is shit". Then direct them in some fashion to create something better, and more polished.

It's no surprise that this game was scribed by the person who wrote Red Dawn, because it's cribbing the movie the entire time. Did he rewrite the upcoming movie remake too? I don't know. If not, maybe he was pissed off about that, and this was his answer. Long story short, they have a lot in common.

The game commits a grave number of unforgivable sins for a 2011 banner release that have no excuse in this day and age, just a few might be:
  • Unlimited enemy spawns - there, along with "I just shot that RPG guy and 10 seconds later another one magically appeared in his place to BF my 'protect this vehicle' objective". "Popped up behind a box that I just walked behind guy" makes an appearance in the big box store level too! You'll love him.
  • Floaty aiming, clunky stick-to-the scenery movement, and a weird hovery momentum-free jump that seems to have no weight and an odd hang-time. We've got that in spades here.
  • Poor checkpoint placement, resulting in repeated viewings of unskippable dialogue scenes that occur right before action set-pieces that are sure to guarantee a death or two. This bugs the everloving fuck out of me, and I wish that there was a bible all game devs would adhere to for things like this.
Some side notes to the biggies up there, are things like:

Dying directly after or during a cutscene. I don't think I've ever played a game where I came out of a scripted cutscene and died immediately before I could even resume control of the character. That happened here a few times. Welcome to 'replay that huge action sequence' againsville.

"Hello, scripted in game cutscene, oh hello Mr.Grenade, where did you come from? Why yes I did want to play that long ass protect-the-convoy level segment again, thank you."

NPC characters that lead you to your surpise death "Hey Jacobs come take a look at this-NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING WE'RE SPOTTED!" -dead-

If an NPC asks you to look at something in this game, your response should be, "NO. I'm good over here, behind this large concrete barrier, thanks. Assholes."

Grenade throwing looks like a shovel pass. When you Knife someone, you're Jet Li in his early 20's, and it makes a loud sound like punching a bag of quarters. Somebody tell the devs it's ok to pay the animators for a few more milliseconds of seeing some dudes' arm

PROTIP: When you jump off the roof of the mall, just run to the truck. Don't shoot anybody, just sprint. You sprint with the capability of a 300 pound man with one asthmatic lung in this game. There are two sections where you have to chase something while sprinting to achieve an objective. This will likely annoy you: and it should

PROTIPb: If you get caught out in the open by a sentry turret, just stand there and die. You aren't getting out of it (see the above). Take it like a man, and hide better next time. The lens flare means "it can see you" cuz' lord knows you can't really tell any other way.

Weapons: The M4 shoots nails. The ACR sounds like a vulcan canon. The M16 is a single shot weapon. Also, none of them use the same ammunition. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU-(head explodes)

Only C4 can blow up concrete: Bunker Busters and Hellfire missiles are incapable of destroying large spans of concrete suspended over water. And the Golden Gate Bridge is made of unobtanium or some such shit because, well. YOU'LL SEE

If we live in a world where I can't blow up a Fuel Tanker Truck with multiple salvos from Helicopter mounted rocket pods then this isn't a world I want to live in anymore

I'd love to hear some other opinions on this. I had so much to bitch about I've forgotten a bunch of it by the end here. I'm sure someone can remind me.

Last edited:
This reflects my overall opinion of the game perfectly.

You also missed the horrible sensitivity issues in this game as well!

I spent $50 on this on Steam. I'm not totally mad, cause I got Metro 2033 out of it too, and Metro 2033 is a far superior game.

I think this game can be lump summed into the group of huge bugdget titles that are ruining the gaming industry.

Blatent in game advertising - Check
Campaign cut short - Check
Buggy gameplay - Check
Poorly tuned, rushed gameplay - Check
Huge hype - Check

Now THQ is taking a huge finanicial hit, both in development cost and stock value loss. They can blame piracy for their loss of sales, file bankruptcy, and go on their marry way. Filthy pirates!

I can't comment on the multiplayer, so I'll relegate my comments to single player only, one the 360.

Same shit I hear every where. Has anyone actually played the damn multiplayer?

MP is like battlefield meets CoD meets Grand Theft. Nothing to write home about but after a few games it grows on you a bit. Not the greatest game I've ever played but not the worst. I do agree that the single player is garbage. This game was over hyped. Had a crapton of potential and fell flat on its face.

From what I have heard it is just ok. Nothing special at all to separate it from every other FPS multi-player game.

Yeah, the problem with multiplayer is it has to be significantly better than other multiplayer games to actually get you interested because at the end of the day one FPS MP really isn't a fuckload different from the next FPS MP. Single player can get away with being a little bit more subpar because at least its a new experience.

I chose not to even try the multiplayer because I was completely fed up with their bullshit. I honestly don't think these guys have a AAA title in them.

I also refused to partake in Multiplayer because I won't support any game that limits multiplayer access to me until I buy the game. I'm sorry you guys (game devs) are butthurt at Gamestop, but all codes do is make me not want to buy your game until it's on sale for 10 - 15 bucks, at which point whatever incentive I had to purchase new is gone anyway so i don't care anymore. Want a thriving online community? Don't fracture it into Newsies and Usedsies. The Usedsies are probably going to beat the game in a day and return that POS back to Gamestop anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.

I've had too many "I paid $60 dollars for THIS?!" experiences to not rent almost everything before buying anymore, sorry guys. Punishing me for having limited disposable income with which I try apply across mutiple facets of life isn't the way to earn my goodwill, or my dollars.

THQ cripples the MP experience to what amounts to a demo experience if you're a gamefly or used copy buyer. Level 5 is the max you can achieve, and limits you to three game modes, and 4 player classes with no vehicle loadout options (fas as I can tell from the menu's).

The worst thing I can say about this game is it seemed like a solid MP concept that somebody made them shoehorn a campaign into, complete with "oooooo, be shocking like that airport level in Modern Warfare 2! That will sell copies!!!"

The one thing I did like about the game: Goliath. Goliath rocked, I want one.

Sounds like the trend these days of throwing together a half assed piece of crap single player game with a storyline that was scribbled out on a cocktail napkin so they can rely on MP sales to carry it (L4D, L4D2, Bad Company, AVP).

Part of me hates MP because it's destroying single player FPS.

Sounds like the trend these days of throwing together a half assed piece of crap single player game with a storyline that was scribbled out on a cocktail napkin so they can rely on MP sales to carry it (L4D, L4D2, Bad Company, AVP).

Part of me hates MP because it's destroying single player FPS.

I think there's still a few good SP FPS games, just like there has always in the past been MP focused FPS games with average SP experiences tacked on.

Some devs realise the COD and Halo crowds are too busy playing COD and Halo to play their MP for more than 5 minutes so actually stick with a good SP experience. STALKER, Metro2033 and Bioshock are a few that come to mind.

I honestly don't think these guys have a AAA title in them.

Admittedly the only GOOD THQ game I've ever played was Darksiders; I thought it was a great game (still need to finish it; about 60-70% through). I don't know if people would consider DS an AAA, I don't recall it doing much more than "mixed" in reviews but fans have pretty much loved it. I'd give it a solid A, definitely worth playing. AA or AAA I dunno. (oddly enough DS is on sale for $10 in Steam as the weekend deal)

re: Homefront, yeah, both me and my brother in law were psyched for it but I started seeing the reviews and I lost interest. He was talking about it Monday, I told him to rent, not buy. He did, 4 hours later he texted me saying "well that was a huge disappointment" to which I replied "yeah that's pretty much what I've heard". Funny how the game went on sale Wednesday for $20 less; I don't even know if I'd pick it up for $20 total. I'm not a huge MP gamer other than fighting games...I'll play Gears, Halo, or HL: DM with friends but I don't spend much time playing shooters MP against "strangers" so if I would buy Homefront it would be for single player only and obviously that would be a waste of money unless it's dirt cheap (ie $5 on Steam).

The shame is, (prior to the reviews and launch) I had recently started hoping Homefront would maybe be like an old game that I thought deserved a sequel - that being Freedom Fighters. FF was (IMO) a great game, I loved it. Shame Homefront clearly isn't even close to being as good. Guess I'll just keep hoping that EA eventually does a FF2.

Why am I not surprised? You can put lipstick on a pig, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a pig.

Well, its already coming in the mail, may as well play it to understand the hate.

Well, its already coming in the mail, may as well play it to understand the hate.

No, totally. Play it. It's one of those games where it's like, one papercut is tolerable, but 1000 papercuts is unbearable agony. This game is full of so many small issues that they compound to make the entire thing a pile of shit, but if there were only a few niggles here or there, it would be a totally solid game.

It's so weird to me that the game comes so close to hitting the mark on so many things, but then misses by such a fractional amount, that it seems like more of a detriment than if it was off by a wide margin. It's a weird congomeration of little bitty annoying shit that it just takes the whole thing off course.

Admittedly the only GOOD THQ game I've ever played was Darksiders; I thought it was a great game (still need to finish it; about 60-70% through). I don't know if people would consider DS an AAA, I don't recall it doing much more than "mixed" in reviews but fans have pretty much loved it. I'd give it a solid A, definitely worth playing. AA or AAA I dunno. (oddly enough DS is on sale for $10 in Steam as the weekend deal)

re: Homefront, yeah, both me and my brother in law were psyched for it but I started seeing the reviews and I lost interest. He was talking about it Monday, I told him to rent, not buy. He did, 4 hours later he texted me saying "well that was a huge disappointment" to which I replied "yeah that's pretty much what I've heard". Funny how the game went on sale Wednesday for $20 less; I don't even know if I'd pick it up for $20 total. I'm not a huge MP gamer other than fighting games...I'll play Gears, Halo, or HL: DM with friends but I don't spend much time playing shooters MP against "strangers" so if I would buy Homefront it would be for single player only and obviously that would be a waste of money unless it's dirt cheap (ie $5 on Steam).

The shame is, (prior to the reviews and launch) I had recently started hoping Homefront would maybe be like an old game that I thought deserved a sequel - that being Freedom Fighters. FF was (IMO) a great game, I loved it. Shame Homefront clearly isn't even close to being as good. Guess I'll just keep hoping that EA eventually does a FF2.

Good post! To clarify, when I said "these guys don't have a good game in them", I was referring to Kaos studios. (THQ is fine, Darksiders is kick ass)

Kaos is the guys who made Frontline: Fuel of War, and Desert Combat 2. You'd expect them to maybe have hit their stride by now, most people don't even get a second chance to fuck up again, but they did. They still blew it. Maybe the MP will have legs? I don't know. I wish them no ill will, but I'd love to slap them in the dick for the messups they left in Homefront.

maybe the third time will be the charm for them, and we'll get another crown jewel of gaming history.

Man cmon. The previews and trailers and theme gave this so much potential. And now its a heaping pile of shit. I guess developers are starting to become lazy and are making terrible games. That is 1 title down already that was supposed to be awesome this year. Lets hope Crysis 2 somehow is good(doubting it, so basiclaly 2 crossed off on the list). I think Skyrim and BF3 are my last hope :/

Please don't take my word for it. The only credentials I have are that of a gaming enthusiast who enjoys games across all platforms for what they are. All I'm trying to do is save someone $60 who might be interested in the campaign side of things (beacuse I love most COD campaigns) and I'm trying to let folks know that I'm an average gamer at best who blew through this sucker in one night, one sitting, and about 4 total hours, give or take a few minutes.

Thank god for gamefly.

If you're interested in the MP side of things, I'm hearing, and reading from reviews, nothing but postives on the MP side of things. Please bear that in mind.

I had not fallowed any hype or tracked it at all, but I had a feeling it was gonna be bad simply because advertising has been over the top. Sometimes its a good indication that a possible big title is actually trash.

Weapons: The M4 shoots nails. The ACR sounds like a vulcan canon. The M16 is a single shot weapon. Also, none of them use the same ammunition. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU-(head explodes)

God that pissed me off. I mean the ACR could be a different caliber but I think it held 30 rounds so unless the mag was longer it isn't a 6.8. I'd have to look though as I haven't messed with the acr much.

I also hated how I kept loosing my m240 machine gun. I'd steal one and cut scene and bam it was gone. I was happy when that state trooper died because he kept getting one.

MP is like battlefield meets CoD meets Grand Theft. Nothing to write home about but after a few games it grows on you a bit. Not the greatest game I've ever played but not the worst. I do agree that the single player is garbage. This game was over hyped. Had a crapton of potential and fell flat on its face.

I will say from playing it a few hours last night the MP seems to be pretty good. We were playing the ground war type game on it and I will say it kicks the shit out of COD but its MP sucks. Seemed better then battlefields as well although it has been a while since I've played that).

I will say I missed the fact that it has that one use serial number to really enable multiplayer. If I had known I wouldn't have bought it. Fuck them I already pay for the ability to play online via Live. The idea that I am very limited with a boxed game is something I don't want to support.

Although I do not own the console version of Homefront, I find the MP experience to be pretty damn fun (aside from all the douchebag snipers :p). I hated it at first but it has slowly grown on me as I like the ability to purchase the special abilities and vehicles - none of that vehicle camping crap instead of objecting hunting. The ACR is by far my favorite weapon so far.

As for the SP side of things, I wasn't expecting much and it certainly didn't provide me with much more than a glorified action movie of nearly the same length (beat it in roughly 3 hours on normal). The beginning of the campaign seemed like it was building up to be something grand. Half way through, it started becoming more and more shallow. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy it, it just didn't live up to what I thought it was going to be at the start.

This could have been so much more but it feels like they got bored with the title soon after the beginning and focused on MP instead.

This game was over hyped. Had a crapton of potential and fell flat on its face.

Did it really have a lot of potential or was it just the hype?

I didn't care for it either. Looked worse than half life 2 on the old xbox

THQ did a megaton of PR for this game. It stirred up a lot of hype.

God that pissed me off. I mean the ACR could be a different caliber but I think it held 30 rounds so unless the mag was longer it isn't a 6.8. I'd have to look though as I haven't messed with the acr much.

I forgot that the ACR can come in multiple calibers. That's my bad. They give you ZERO indication of the specs of the weapons during the campaign, so maybe, being the "future" the military decided on 6.8. at some point.

Tangent: WARNING
And I suppose the M4 could have been 5.45 but then, and I digress here, that would make no freaking sense that an invading force would fragment their ammo supply across so many different weapons. 5.56/5.45/6.8? -Sigh- It's a terrible thing when a guy who hated your game cares more about making the story technically believable though easy yet realistic details than the people who made it.

Maybe somebody can chime in if it states one way or the other for the weapons in the MP mode?
/End Tangent

Anyway, during the game, I was yelling at the TV, because I kept running out of ammo, and I wanted to keep using the M4. I would run over an M16 or an ACR and go "WHY IS THIS NOT REPLENISHING MY AMMO! THEY USE THE SAME GODDAMN AMMO" even the mags are interchangeable for the most part. It was a total gun nerd GRRRR moment.

At the time, it was a huge pain in my ass. I never once found replacement ammo for the 249 either. It was a 'use it, and drop when empty' type of deal

At the time, it was a huge pain in my ass. I never once found replacement ammo for the 249 either. It was a 'use it, and drop when empty' type of deal

There were a few. Pretty much you had to go to the machine guners huts off the main line to get them off people you killed. I think I picked up ammo a few times though.

I had high hopes for this game (or at least the idea of it) and luckily didn't buy it in advance.
I do still want to give it a go, but if it tanks badly enough I'd guess it'll be part of a $9.99 Steam sale soon enough.

Homefront is...
...a prime example why people should not impulse buy games and wait until after they are released so you know you are not getting ripper off! :D

I like it. It's fun.

Campaign or Multiplayer?

If you have thoughts on the campaign, I'd love to hear a counter-argument to all the flaws present in the roughly 3-4 hours it takes to blow through it.

People complain to high heaven when other games have a 10-12 hour playthrough time. How Homefront made it through most reviews unscathed as to it's playtime is a mystery to me.

Personally, I don't mind a shorter campaign as long as it's tight and has variety. For instance Assassin's Creed 1 is a LOT longer than Brotherhood (probably 3X longer), and it's still probably about 50% longer than AC2...but you're literally doing the same thing over and over again. Quake 4 was the same way. By the time I was 2/3 done I was begging for the game to be over and done. Both Uncharted games were fairly short, but I loved every minute of 'em.
While this in no way relates to how good or bad Homefront might be, I don't think a shorter game has to be worse than a longer one.

Back