Home Storage Server questions

Jalseng

Limp Gawd
So I'm planning on building a home server mainly as a NAS and little practicing of server stuff (web hosting, mysql, etc). However, recently our electric bill has been on the rise and I don't want to add in something that'll increase it alot.. I was thinking along the line of a Pentium but I heard about people using atoms as well.

Can you guys share what you have that's energy efficient? I've only heard of intel atoms being used inside mini laptops and tablets, how would I be able to get one for cheap :D. What kind of Power Supply would be good and efficient?

Thanks

In your case, I really wouldn't recommend an Atom considering that you're planning on doing actual server stuff. The Atom is just fine for file serving but for database work? Ehhh..not so good.

Pretty much any of the Intel Pentium CPUs or even some of the AMD APUs would be fine from a power perspective. What PSU you should get is largely going to depend on how many hard drives you plan on hooking up.

Get yourself an i3-4330T It pulls 35 watts maximum. Atom may pull less, but <35 isn't bad, and it will let you use it as something more than just a simple file server without pulling your hair out over the speed.

I second that. The cheap Haswell Pentiums or a cheap i3 would be perfect. They are great on power. I am building one for a friend. It will be a media server and his test web server. If the box will be on all the time then go for a gold power supply. I cut $5 per month in electricity usage by upgrading my power supply. Platinum power supplies cost a premium and unless you are pushing it all of the time, it is tough to make up the added cost.

Now that i think about it, it'll be close to a media server as well, not highend though. prob 2-3 HDD and a small ssd if i can find one at .50 cents/gb.. i'll check out the i3, always been an Intel fanboy haha.

I would stick with a Pentium over an i3. My HTPC runs an older Sandy Bridge based Pentium processor and handles everything I throw at it just fine. I also run a media server on it as well (Plex Media Server)

Back