Home-made mousepad (56k == no go)

Got the urge to try and make me a mousepad out of some plexi today and here's the results:

Dark Shot:
p40401051ky.jpg

Light shot:
p40401033ca.jpg

the backing is made of a printout of just straight noise filter on Photoshop and the pad itself is 3/16 plexi from home depot about 5 bucks total supplies to make it!

pretty cool.. I might do sth similar for gaming since I have a fancy pad with a gel wristrest that's a little too small...

Not too shabby there.

So let me get this straight. You placed the paper on the bottom of the plastic or on top?
Did you file smooth the edges of the plexi?

Full procedure:

Cut out a 12"x10" sheet of plexi

Smooth edges / round corners as desired (i got tired of working on that part cause I wanted to see if it would work nice)

use 160grit sandpaper (dont bother with wet dry automotive stuff, didn't work well for me) and sand down both sides till they are fairly frosty

using spray adhesive, stick whatever picture you want on the bottem of it

that sounds good, but what dops it from sloding arround the place.
i have one of these These
i got it at a local LAN, FREE. but there worth like $65AUS
lol i aint going to pay that, its a very nice mat

I got me a Ratpadz GS for $8.99 with an order of my roommate's. I am in the market for something new though, perhaps this is the one!

Nice going Punx!

BTW, I got my W/C rig all internal now, and everything is cleaned up looking PIMP as ever. I'll be getting the pics online in a day or so, be lookin for it :)

Thats an amazing mouse pad.. i love these unghetto cheap mods..
If there was a point system, you'd get them from me. :)
would there be anyway to get some etchign under it, even though the light is pointing down?

Zapper, the texture of the board itself after sanding keeps it from sliding too much (but you still dont even need teflon feet)

Squall, I dont know how well it would show up, but you could always just do the etching on the bottem. IF you put it on the top it might not be smooth, but you could try it I suppose

BTW, a friend of mine from school is gonna test out the pad and if he likes it he's gonna give me 15 bux to make him one :D

That dark shot is definately sweet-looking. I love how the infrared sensor light reflects across the whole sheet of plexi. Nice work.

yeah thats what i meant, top it will not work, also i think placing some kinda bumpy pattern on the bottom will make the mouse even more scensative right?

evilcartman said:
That dark shot is definately sweet-looking. I love how the infrared sensor light reflects across the whole sheet of plexi. Nice work.

That isn't a infrared sensor, infrared in invisible to the eye. It's just a red LED and you are right, it sure does look nice.

Met-AL said:
That isn't a infrared sensor, infrared in invisible to the eye. It's just a red LED and you are right, it sure does look nice.

No, its a lazer beam and it will kill you if you look straight into it.......

when optical mouses came out i thought it was laser, but its just an led magnified with that plastic thing

sequlrealm's right, maybe magnified LED effect would look cool on sumthing modded.......... :D
-Appatula

Met-AL said:
Yeah, that's what I meant to say but it came out sounding wrong. My bad

Back