Home file server, need suggestions

well how many PCI slots does your mobo have? you can easily add a SATAII card and a Intel Gb lan card.

what type of OS will you use?

the Supermicro SATA2 cards are popular if you don't plan on using RAID

What are you going to be using this files server for? Is it just for storing data or are you going to be running any other applications on it?

I have an old Acer with WHS on it and I get 80Mb/s when transferring files with no RAID card and using the built in GbE NIC.

A single hdd can't transfer fast enough for the pci to bottleneck it. u would probably have to have multiple systems pulling from multiple hdds on the same controller... not the most common accurance during home use probably.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

So basically get this controller:
$100 - SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 PCI-X (PCI Compatible) 8 Port SATA Controller Card

And this Intel GB LAN NIC:
$27 - Intel PWLA8391GT 10/100/1000Mbps PRO/1000 GT PCI NIC OEM w/ 1 x RJ45

For just $90 more than the Coolermaster case, you can get the Norco 4020 which is significantly more suitable for fileserving duty than the Coolermaster:
$290 - NORCO RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case

The book is still out on the case, I do like the hot-swap rack setup for ease of expansion going forward.

You don't need hotswap for home use except for the ease of sliding in a drive (something you want to avoid). Cuz when a drive does die and your RAID card is squeeling out that buzzer of hell, you'll pretty much be running around frantic going wtf? I would rather have more than enough internal HD slots (extra slots used for online spare) than have hotswap bays. It doesn't bother me to be down 10 minutes to swap a drive, god forbid... Knock on wood dude. Also, hotswap bays run hotter and louder, a lot louder.

Back