home exchange server + dynamic IP = ...?

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie
Im trying to play with an exchange server on my old fileserver. Ive got it setup, but now is the fun part.

I have a domain id like it to do web and mail hosting with (ilkhan.com, registered through totalchoicehosting, where I used to do web service and POP3 through)
I can send mail through it (over LAN) to external places
I have a dynamic IP address, but it only changes once in a blue moon (static for a month+ right now)
I can setup a second 10/100 card easy enough if that makes it easier.

How would I go about getting everything setup DNS wise? Thats the part that is throwing me off. I cant just throw my home IP into TCHs setup as the DNS server, as I dont have that running at the moment. It will connect to home, but will be looking for DNS and not mail/web stuff.

So great gurus of the [H], how do I do this?

I'm not sure why you would want to set up a DNS to do that... but anyways you need to point your name server records to your router's hostname and set up port forwarding if necessary.

Just so you know, if you are doing this on a "residential" Internet connection that will highly increase the chance that you are going to be blocked by anti-spam devices.

Just so you know, if you are doing this on a "residential" Internet connection that will highly increase the chance that you are going to be blocked by anti-spam devices.

True that, but you can always send e-mail to an upstream provider to get around that.

I do exactly what your doing.

home server on DSL w/exchange

I have DynDNS client installed on the exchange server...that updates DynDNS with my IP every time it changes.

so DynDNS updates "www.mytestdomain.DynDNS.com" with my current ip
I havemy MX record for my real domain "www.myrealdomain.com" set to mytestdomain.com

on my router port 25 is forwarded to my exchange box.

email flows fine in and out...sometimes I do get denied messages when sending to certain domains...not many though

can you explain a little more in depth your setup?

does mail get addressed to [email protected] or [email protected]? Paid service or no?

according to this page custom dns is what it looks like I need, but dynamic dns is what it sounds like you are running. Could you explain a little more? My router can handle updating dyndns for me, which would make everything pretty damn easy if I can get the free service to handle DNS.

Im back now..:)
email addressed to [email protected] gets delivered to the MX record for the domain, which is actually set to my DynDNS web site name

I use the free DynDNS account

I have a screenshot of my MX records...Ill dig it up and send it to you

can you explain a little more in depth your setup?

does mail get addressed to [email protected] or [email protected]? Paid service or no?

according to this page custom dns is what it looks like I need, but dynamic dns is what it sounds like you are running. Could you explain a little more? My router can handle updating dyndns for me, which would make everything pretty damn easy if I can get the free service to handle DNS.

I run the same setup at home....SBS on a dynamic IP account. I have my MX record point to my dynamic DNS alias. People send to your actual e-mail address, not your DynDNS alias.

As noted above however, because of your dynamic IP, you'll get lots of rejects when you send to people, as you will not pass ReverseDNS tests...so you'll be treated as SPAM by lots of recipients with 1/2 decent anti-spam features. And this trend is on the increase. So while you may be able to send to a few people now without bouncebacks...over time you'll be getting more and more bouncebacks. Not to mention...your ISP may not be fond of finding an Exchange server running from a home account.

googling is bringing up old stuff and I have a new question.

Being that there are only a couple of users for this exchange server, configuration isn't a huge deal, its fairly simple. BUT, im used to using several different email addresses (within the ilkhan.com domain) for different purposes, one for school, one for forum notifications, one for personal stuff, etc. I have one user setup at the moment, myself. Its hooked into my non-ilkhan address (irony) over POP3.

So the question is this, how do configure it for that user to access and use the multiple ilkhan addresses? Do I need to put in a user for each address? No? If so, how do I direct that mail to the one exchange mailbox?

There are probably a few ways to cover that...

1 - setup the email addresses to be forwarders to your exchange email address
2 - setup the pop3 downloading on the exchange server..so it DL's the emails into your exchange inbox
3 - setup public folders with names you want, mail enable them, then have your pop addresses be forwarded to this public folder...

Back