Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

artifacting 8800 gts 640
stripped and baked @ 385F for 7-8mins, removed and rested for 2hrs.
works great now
Does anyone know what thermal pads to use on a PNY 8800GTS? I removed the fan from the card but the thermal pads on the vram and other areas was a little shredded. Does anyone know what to replace it with? Thickness? I'm looking forward to trying this out myself but want to have all the necessary materials. I'm thinking about using MX-2 for the gpu, or should I go with MX-4? I'm a newbie in this area.

Yo guys! sorry for bumping this, but i just did this oven trick for my BFG 8800GTS 320Mb, except i covered the capacitors with tinfoil. Cleaned the old paste from GPU, some dust etc.

Anyway 195c for 8minutes and the last minute raised the temp to 200celsius. I also have to add, that there was no smoke, no smell, no melt plastic, no blown capacitors or damage to them. To my surprise this card stood rock solid in that heat! it was like it was saying to me : hm! is that all you got smartass? lol!!

Left it to gradually cooldown, then put some ArcticSilver 5 on the GPU , assembled it, put back into mobo slot, powered up the PC and now IT WORKS! Idle temp seems to stay at 52c with 89% fan speed. No big deal since when i first got the videocard it used to idle at aprox 64c and in full load it was 70 at default fan speed..

So thanks for this guys! i also heard this works for damaged usb memory sticks. Going to bake that one too!

LE: Well baking the usb stick didnt worked.

Last edited:
^^ thanks for the post. no worries on bumping. this thread should be a sticky anyway. :p

Now i have a spare arctic cooling fan lying around and i was wondering this : would it hurt my GPU if i would take the plastic mask off, covering the copper, and somehow "stick" the fan on the copper?

Made a quick example

uQnWk.jpg

All answers appreciated.

Now i have a spare arctic cooling fan lying around and i was wondering this : would it hurt my GPU if i would take the plastic mask off, covering the copper, and somehow "stick" the fan on the copper?

Made a quick example

uQnWk.jpg

All answers appreciated.

The plastic guides the air over the heat sink fins so it can cool the gpu, extra fans doesn't make it cooler..

Bringin an old thread from the dead.

Just done this to an Nvidia GT230 and it worked like a charm... It started giving me Red/Blue Dots/Lines a few months ago and it got thrown aside. Found this searching google and gave it a try. Works great now!

Just done this to an Nvidia GT230 and it worked like a charm... It started giving me Red/Blue Dots/Lines a few months ago and it got thrown aside. Found this searching google and gave it a try. Works great now!

Nice. Glad to hear, and thanks for posting.

I just resurrected a dead HD 5970 (for now at least). Hopefully the other two dead ones will work as well.

Edit: I believe the second 5970 is working now too.

Last edited:
Now this thread definitely brings back memories. Since there aren't many new posts here I'm guessing the newer gen GPU's have a better quality control during manufacturing process from both gpu makers?

After trying a thousand things to get my 5770 to stop artifacting... I decided tonight that I would try this crazy oven junk before throwing it at the wall.

365 degrees
8 minutes
2 liters of sweet later...

Boom working video card. :)

As crazy as this is... it works well... none of the plastic I couldn't remove even flinched... nothing smelled, I was nervous as I have ever been (and I am on the third wife)... in the end it seems like it worked.

I'm in the market for a new one now... but at least I don't have to rush down and buy whats in stock.

My Dell 2405FPW started developing artifacts on the display; lines, glitches, matrix-looking patterns across the screen. If I left it on this would eventually go away until finally it didn't. I like this screen but it's old so I guess it had to go sometime. Before I recycled it I figured I'd give it a go in the oven. Since the backlight was working I left the power supply and inverter alone and tossed the main board, tcon and card reader in the oven at 385 for ten minutes, even though I was 99.9% sure the card reader pcb only had the card reader on it (note: don't bake the card reader).

openqq.jpg

ovend.jpg

Yeah little problem with the card reader there. Didn't notice it had something on the bottom. Oops. Oh well, I use it... never.

Anyway, it works!

worksx.jpg

Saved me a couple hundred bucks, or at least it would have if I hadn't already ordered another (larger) monitor.

My Dell 2405FPW started developing artifacts on the display; lines, glitches, matrix-looking patterns across the screen. If I left it on this would eventually go away until finally it didn't. I like this screen but it's old so I guess it had to go sometime. Before I recycled it I figured I'd give it a go in the oven. Since the backlight was working I left the power supply and inverter alone and tossed the main board, tcon and card reader in the oven at 385 for ten minutes, even though I was 99.9% sure the card reader pcb only had the card reader on it (note: don't bake the card reader).

Yeah little problem with the card reader there. Didn't notice it had something on the bottom. Oops. Oh well, I use it... never.

Anyway, it works!

Saved me a couple hundred bucks, or at least it would have if I hadn't already ordered another (larger) monitor.

wow, awesome! thanks for the great pics.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/1687/openqq.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img72/6486/ovend.jpg[IMG]

Anyway, it works!

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img708/8757/worksx.jpg[IMG]

Saved me a couple hundred bucks, or at least it would have if I hadn't already ordered another (larger) monitor.[/QUOTE]

Sticking your monitor into an oven takes serious balls :D.

Sigh, after not using my desktop for several months, I powered it up only to see artifacts all over the boot screen. Time to give this a shot tomorrow!

A friend brought me an ACER Aspire 9300 notebook that wasn't working at all : only the power led and a quick flash on the HDD led and nothing more.

I took everything apart (and believe me, ACER are a real PITA to dismantle, so many screws, so much duct tape) but saw nothing special. Until I removed the cooling part and saw an NVidia chip (NF-G6100). Since the problem was not only the video, I had not much hopes. Then I saw the processor was an AMD Turion 64 and I guessed that nvidia chip was doing more than video.

Cooked the chip with my heat gun (5 seconds once the solder melted see the excellent post http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1531323) and it's working again. Took me some time to figure out how to reassemble the computer, forgot to put the modem (my friend will have to live without it :) ), forgot the battery, disassembled it again, reassembled it, found out the battery wires were pressing the pad's click, disassembled once more, reassembled.

Would this method also work for a video card that is not detected (no video)

I think the motherboard has received ESD because i've seen a sparkle (on the mobo) and then boom nothing since then the mobo won't work and the graphic card aswell. The GFX used to work fine before that

Would this method also work for a video card that is not detected (no video)

I think the motherboard has received ESD because i've seen a sparkle (on the mobo) and then boom nothing since then the mobo won't work and the graphic card aswell. The GFX used to work fine before that

If you heard a loud and visible pop, then it's probably a component blowing up rather than solder problems. Baking only works when you need to reconnect solder. And I really doubt it's ESD unless you were dragging the case across the floor or dragging something across the case.

If it's under warranty, return it. If it's not, it won't hurt to try (assuming you prep it properly).

If the motherboard blew up too (check with another video card or onboard graphics), then I would think either the power supply blew up, or the power supply killed the motherboard (and by proxy the video card). Run the video card on another computer, too.

- i have tested the mobo with another graphic card: nothing thus i have returned it.Hopefully they can fix it
- the psu work just fine (same for my hdd's or blu ray player that were attached to the mobo during this unfortunate event)
- the graphic card don't seem to work with my old pc (the fan is spining 100% but no video)
- couldn't find burned parts on the graphic card that's why i find it strange

- i have tested the mobo with another graphic card: nothing thus i have returned it.Hopefully they can fix it
- the psu work just fine (same for my hdd's or blu ray player that were attached to the mobo during this unfortunate event)
- the graphic card don't seem to work with my old pc (the fan is spining 100% but no video)
- couldn't find burned parts on the graphic card that's why i find it strange

Reminds me of when the VRMs burned out on my 570. It can be burned out internally without external signs (the "chips" you see are just casing).

I just used this to resurrect my 5870, which is now being used to mine coins. From dead weight to money earner. I'll take that.

I resurrected a dead cellphone this way. It was water damaged.
Took it apart. Gave the motherboard a distilled water bath (flush contaminants) then baked the motherboard (evaporate water + solidfy solder). Worked.

WATER ACCIDENTS: IMPORTANT TIP: If you accidentally drop a gadget into water, lake, bathtub, toilet, etc -- REMOVE THE BATTERY IMMEDIATELY. Phones, cameras, etc. Resist temptation to test device until it's 100% dry inside. The water is mostly harmless, but water+electricity = ZAP! Good success rate in resurrecting gadgets dropped in bathtub & lakes this way, if you follow the one tip of immediately removing all sources of electricity ASAP from it. Popular Internet FAQ's exist -- many recommend drying waterlogged cellphones using steady heat sources (e.g. car on sunny days) and/or drying via a dessicant/tub of rice for a few days before testing the phone. Ovens are often one of the recommendations too (last resort). Disassembly, to help guarantee drying, is always recommended if possible. But first, remove electricity right away, all plugs, all batteries. Once, a PalmPilot survived outdoors in a snowbank for 1 full week -- but only because its battery was completely dead. Water+Electricity=corrosion.

Last edited:
Cell phone in a mason jar (or something comparable size) full of dry/raw rice works wonders as well. Rice will basically wick all the moisture out of the phone case.

Just to chime in yet again ~

Baked 4 GTX465's (all Gigabyte's) and 3 GTX590's (Gigabyte, Palit and Asus) @ the usual 8minutes at 200'C with 20 minute cool down. All succeeded.

Thank you so much!!!

I baked an 8800GTX which I thought was dead with artifacts galore while not being able to boot into my Windows 7 desktop PC. I have not been able to get access to my files and pictures since last November because I've been lazy about shopping for a new video card plus I've been too busy with other activities.

I just laid the 8800GTX bare on a thin cookie sheet with four aluminum foil balls propping it up. Baked it for 10 minutes at 385 degrees F and after 20 minutes I started to put everything back together. Voila, it would boot and get into windows. Even tested it with an old COD4 game for 10 minutes and it's humming along nicely! Thank you, OP!

Just to chime in yet again ~

Baked 4 GTX465's (all Gigabyte's) and 3 GTX590's (Gigabyte, Palit and Asus) @ the usual 8minutes at 200'C with 20 minute cool down. All succeeded.

holy crap, thats crazy! wow. good job.

thanks for the post, SeismicWorm!

It worked!! I cooked an Ati 9200 for 8 minutes at 200 celsius on a microwave/oven and letting cool slowly over half-an-hour. Now my nx7000 is working fine again. Many THANKS to the OP and this forum!! This is great. :D

update: more than 20 hours of work and still picture perfect. :) I have difficult believing this works so well as it does. Thanks so much again, this is GREAT! :)

Last edited:
Hey, just wanted to say a big thank you to Haste266 and everybody who has contributed to this thread; since I originally saw this thread well over 4 years ago, I have resurrected lots of video cards, laptop motherboards, iPhone logic boards (dead WiFi, Phone signal, Bluetooth, Display and Digitizer issues) and many others. My long term success rate has been better since using a higher temperature (gas mark 7 for 8 minutes), but not sure my oven is particularly accurate. Since using a higher temperature, the repeated failure rate has dropped to a very low rate and this MacBook Pro has been working happily since I reflowed it almost 2 years ago now and is in use at least 6 hours every day!

My latest success is a Samsung 20" TV which had issues on both the power and main boards, with the backlight going out after switch on anywhere up to 30 minutes in, to no power symptoms when plugged in, to a grey screen which responds to no controls and appeared randomly anywhere up to an hour after switch on. Despite many hours of carefully resoldering joints and testing voltages, freezing and warming components etc trying to find the faults, I finally just tossed both boards in the oven at gas mark 7 for 8 minutes, and all faults have gone and has been running well for the past week!

I never write anything off now which has no obvious physical damage without baking it first :)

DSCN3297.JPG

I'LL BE DIPPED!

See the shiny cover on the right? I pulled the main board out and cooked it in the oven at 400F for 10 min with a 30 min cool down on the rack. The only thing the suffered was a small plastic flip cover for the optical audio out.

DSCN3300.JPG

Right now it is up and running Aliens, I'm going to let it loop for a few days and see if it craps out.

Just an update on this- TV is hanging up in my workshop and still working like a charm, was baked back in 2009

Last edited:
Thinking about doing this to a Technics receiver I've had since my youth. Right channel output has gone out...

I just registered on the forum because I wanted to thank the author and all the contributors to this thread.

I just stripped and baked the motherboard from my P-6831FX. It had been running on Vista and very old graphics drivers and would blue screen every time I tried to upgrade the driver. Now I've just installed windows 7 and installed the very latest Nvidia driver with complete success. Now my 5 year old gaming workhorse has new life at least for a while...hopefully for a long while.

I'd tried everything too stabilize my GeForce 8800M GTS with reasonable, but very limited success. I have to say this was the last choice on my list and now I'm kicking myself for wasting at least 20 hours running down blind alleys.

Anybody new to this thread, have faith. This really does work.

Thanks again :cool:

Had one of these old Sony Vaio all-in-one PC's from 2006 that had slowly worsening video issues. First the video driver would crash every so often, then it couldn't run Aero at all, then the screen would artifact horribly, then it just stopped displaying altogether.

e94OlKL.jpg

Ripped it apart and hit the GPU with a heat gun (GPU is soldered directly to the motherboard, didn't want to bake the whole thing). 500 degrees for about 10 minutes directly on the core. Re-assembled and it started working perfectly again :D

Just an update to this (forgot about this thread). The card quit working again after like two weeks. :(

How dangerous to health can be to bake a card and later use the oven for baking food?
The only dangers that would occur is if the solder or flux were to drip out of the cookie sheet you place the card on otherwise the oven should not pickup any residue or anything only thoughts are plastic vapors or flux vapors as toxin sources the solder is tin silver and copper with a flux used to etch the surface to be bonded to...

The only dangers that would occur is if the solder or flux were to drip out of the cookie sheet you place the card on otherwise the oven should not pickup any residue or anything only thoughts are plastic vapors or flux vapors as toxin sources the solder is tin silver and copper with a flux used to etch the surface to be bonded to...

and if you are that worried about it...clean your oven! although, the oven cleaning spray might be more harmful the baking of the card itself... :p

How dangerous to health can be to bake a card and later use the oven for baking food?

The card was already heated up to that point when it was manufactured so there should be no outgassing or anything of that nature...perfectly safe id say. I did it years ago...we all still have all our limbs, only 2 eyes, and no cancer.

If you do this with a dozen cards a day, every day, you could build up some kind of residue that might be toxic and transferable to food if you tried to cook in it. As a once a year thing it's probably as dangerous as the first time you assemble a computer from new parts with all that lovely "new computer smell" to it.

Back