Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

Wish me luck, I'm going to try to see if the Oven Jesus can bring back my HD 4890 from the dead. She won't boot at all. Flaked out and went blank screen all of a sudden...

Update: It failed ><

Last edited:
I really think Haste deserves a special forum title for this one, like "Masterbaker" or somethin... Always a good laugh when I visit this thread and see who has recently whipped up a batch of toasty oven pcb goodness.

Also, post up your oven specs, guys, seriously (and if ur oven can play Crysis on max w/ AA cranked).

Wish me luck, I'm going to try to see if the Oven Jesus can bring back my HD 4890 from the dead. She won't boot at all. Flaked out and went blank screen all of a sudden...

Update: It failed ><

same with my old 4870x2's and 8800gt.:(

Hey guys, my card [Radeon 4870x2] recently failed after showing artifacts all over the screen right as I started BC2. The system restarted itself and I could not get a signal from the GPU ever since.

Having little to lose, I decided to give this a shot today. Baked it @ 385 for about 9,5 minutes... and to my surprise it actually worked! Well, at least for a few minutes. I got the BSOD about 15-20 mins after the boot and I was back to where I started. I wonder if it's worth giving another shot at this? Maybe it was because I didn't clean all the spots that had thermal paste on it (I only cleaned off and reapplied paste on the CPUs and other areas that needed attention; I figured I'd keep the old compound where there seemed to be enough of it). Was that a mistake? It was idling normally @ 46~ C like it should... should I try again cleaning off all of the compound putting it on fresh in all areas, or is there no hope left for my card and I shouldn't waste my time? TIA

9800GX2 attempt failed, the top board gets power but the 2x4 pin board seems to short or my PSU draws too much power, it shuts off the system immediately and the PSU needs to be toggled. Giving bottom board only another oven job.

j17ny9.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, my card [Radeon 4870x2] recently failed after showing artifacts all over the screen right as I started BC2. The system restarted itself and I could not get a signal from the GPU ever since.

Having little to lose, I decided to give this a shot today. Baked it @ 385 for about 9,5 minutes... and to my surprise it actually worked! Well, at least for a few minutes. I got the BSOD about 15-20 mins after the boot and I was back to where I started. I wonder if it's worth giving another shot at this? Maybe it was because I didn't clean all the spots that had thermal paste on it (I only cleaned off and reapplied paste on the CPUs and other areas that needed attention; I figured I'd keep the old compound where there seemed to be enough of it). Was that a mistake? It was idling normally @ 46~ C like it should... should I try again cleaning off all of the compound putting it on fresh in all areas, or is there no hope left for my card and I shouldn't waste my time? TIA

bump...anyone?

My 8800GTS died today. It would not display anything at boot. I searched to see if anyone else had this problem, and found out about the baking thing.

I removed the heatsink/fan, baked the card top-side up at 385° for 9 minutes. 40 minutes later, I put it back together and back into my system. My card is revived!

Run ATI Tray Tools or some other app that will show GPU temperature while playing (either in the corner or in the tray, play the game in the window) and see what the temp is when on load. If it idles normally and works for awhile but craps out again, I'd say maybe you didn't bake it hot enough for long enough and try again.

ahahahaha

I just bake my 8800 GTX... and IT WORK!!!!

thx for saving me some cash XD

Hey all . My 8800 GTS 512 is artifacting badly , i want to bake it , the thing is i can't set my oven to a given temperature , will it be ok if i monitor it with a thermometer? I am afraid that i "overbake" it,this is the only card i've got right now , i can't afford a new one.Anyway i got this card like for a year and a half , i still have warranty but the store where i bought it from no longer exists, i'm gonna go with ATI next time.

I got a 8800GTX that's been on the shelf for the last 6 months after it failed, classic case of red stripes etc.
Well I baked it a couple days ago and just mounted the heatsink back on 1 hour ago. It's been running Furmark since and it's working like a charm again. Looks like my backup pc just got an upgrade! :D

LOL, amazing stuff.

It's even better than the hard drive I thought I had lost, and then someone told me to turn it upside-down, whereupon it started working fine again! :D

I've got a Dell E1705 laptop with a severely artifacting 7900GS. Think removing and baking the card will work?

I've got a Dell E1705 laptop with a severely artifacting 7900GS. Think removing and baking the card will work?

Can't hurt. I'm assuming by the age of that card the laptop is probably not under warranty so what do you have to lose? :)

Can't hurt. I'm assuming by the age of that card the laptop is probably not under warranty so what do you have to lose? :)

Not much. Right now it's just a nice doorstop. I bought the lappy from Dell Outlet a number of years ago, it only had maybe a 90 day warranty or something lame. I'll give it a try sometime I'm really bored.

it worked on my x1900xt. cooked it for like 7 minutes or so and no more artifacts. Now i have a decent backup card.

Just gave it a spin on a broken 4850 I had kicking around.. Works like a charm now! Blew up some stuff in Bad Company 2 for 30 minutes and no artifacts! I do have the fan turned up to 60% though.

I've got an 8800gts I'm thinking about doing this to. Do I need to remove the ram heat sinks with the thermal pads or would I be alright leaving them on?

I've got an 8800gts I'm thinking about doing this to. Do I need to remove the ram heat sinks with the thermal pads or would I be alright leaving them on?

Remove, PCB bracket, RAM sinks, Fan Heatsink, and clean off left over thermal paste with something thats almost pure alcohol (DVD Cleaner), no need to remove the plastic fan or power connectors, once done, your ready to bake at 378'Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes with foil.

Finally baked my artifacting card for 9 minutes. The vertical red lines are gone now, but now the GPU reaches 110c and shuts down 5 minutes into windows boot. I didn't replace the thermal paste afterwards though.

Failure for me.

to the poster above me... put sum thermal paste on your card... what the hell were u thinking when u put on the heatsink without some paste on it... lol

Finally baked my artifacting card for 9 minutes. The vertical red lines are gone now, but now the GPU reaches 110c and shuts down 5 minutes into windows boot. I didn't replace the thermal paste afterwards though.

Failure for me.

No paste = 110c = card is damaged. My 8800GTX died when it hit 110°

My car keys with an electronic coded chip (transponder) and a remote control just failed.

An Oven + 200 C celsius + 10 min = THE SOLUTION !!!!

Cheers!
g.

I baked couple non functioning 128USB flash drives, gets detected and works flawlessly now after a 7 min bake @ 200'C

i still find it amazing to see how many products seem to have bad solder joints... this is a bit ridiculous is it not? seems like every company needs to look at QC a little more...

just wondering, has anyone tried this with motherboards? i wonder how many bad 680i systems would work after this trick...

Technically it would work with any solid state electronic. About the 680i's, those have older caps, arnt those put on after it runs through the oven?

Wouldn't the heat..be bad?

I have been following this thread as a guest lurking from the shadows and have actually resurrected an artifacting 8800GTS in this manner. I just wanted to stop by and convey the message that this thread does indeed work, but you do need to be careful!

Thanks.

i still find it amazing to see how many products seem to have bad solder joints... this is a bit ridiculous is it not? seems like every company needs to look at QC a little more...

just wondering, has anyone tried this with motherboards? i wonder how many bad 680i systems would work after this trick...

Tried it with a LCD TV, USB flash drives, Video cards, RAM modules, and 2 older Pentium 4 motherboards. Works.

I'm up to 4 total successful bakes on video cards at this point. This has to be the mother of all awesome threads here on hardforum; it literally puts a smile on my face every time I see someone come out with hardware that was *broken* and now works.

So, my brother's laptop (Gateway P-6831FX) was getting some heavy artifacting and stopped displaying anything at all after a while. Sent it in to gateway for repair and they said it would be $930 for a new motherboard, obviously not going to do that! Got it back yesterday and took it all apart, baked the mobo and it works perfectly now!

Back