• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Holes in Plexi

magoo

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
14,700
I want to put a couple of holes in the window of my Corsair 800D.

I've done this before with a hole saw, but I left a big burr on the back side.
The hole just wasn't clean enough for me.

Now I can have the thing done professionally, but I'll have to send the plexi out, etc.

Is there anything else I can use/do to make this look better than the plain old low speed hole saw??
 
How big holes are we talking? A few mm across, or like 5 cm?

I have both drilled holes in plexi and used an electric saw to make 120mm holes. For the sawing I used a blade meant for plywood. I taped the area with paint tape and it worked out alright. But I advice you to clamp the plexi to a piece of wood, so you have something to guide the blade, and the plexi won't snap.

Hope that made some sense.

Or you could use one of these: (the link is from a danish site, but you get the idea)

http://www.carl-ras.dk/e-shop/bitsboroghulsave/hulsave/cirkelskaerer/cirkelskaererhss36-140mm/
 
put masking tape on both sides and a piece of wood on front and back. Clamp and drill it should give you a clean hole.
 
I think you need a rotozip. Google rotozip and plexiglass. People seem to have good results.

I would just buy another plexiglass panel from homedepot and try again.
Rotozip_DR1-2Large.gif
 
Oh shit.............I forgot...........

What I am doing is making 120mm fan holes and the necesary small holes for the fan attachment.

I have a 4 inch hole saw.

I have a good variable speed drill and a Dremmel.
 
If you clamp wood to the backside of the plexi, that should reduce burring.

You can also use a sharp knife to get any left over burring.
 
Back
Top