Hole saws...

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

i read the faq already, where can i buy a holesaw? and how much do they cost...

hardware stores.

They'll run you about 20 bucks for one decent one. Make sure the little shaft thing is there, or else you won't be able to use it.

at my local places they cost around $35 just for the hole saw and another $15 for the arbor or
"the little shaft thing"

Yeah, I bought one and it didn't have the "little shaft thing". It made me very mad. I don't think it'll matter though, this thing didn't seem to want to cut metal when I put it on the drill press...

well i googled it and apparently a hole saw is just a giant bit that goes on a screwdriver???? i have a screwdriver :/

its a big hole that goes on a drill that can cut holes

um, lets see . no. a hole saw goes on a power drill or drill press. also it looks like this
http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/009/26065/00926065000-dlv.jpg

this a a arbor it goes in the center to start and guide the hole
http://www.toolsforless.com/milwaukee/images/49-56-7010.jpg

SDWbkY1093488661.jpg

thats what mine looks like

i call the shaft/arbor thing, the mandrel

get the mandrel, and you can swap it with a lotta other cup sizes

i paid 27$ all together for that thing, a bit pricey if you ask me

That's about what I have Wayne, but it doesn't have an arbor/mandrel. Oh well, I already cut the holes. I'll figure it out next time.

speedracer089 said:
this a a arbor it goes in the center to start and guide the hole
http://www.toolsforless.com/milwaukee/images/49-56-7010.jpg

Uhh, I believe it's called a "little shaft thingy" DERRRRR. ;)

DudeItsMe said:
That's about what I have Wayne, but it doesn't have an arbor/mandrel. Oh well, I already cut the holes. I'll figure it out next time.
what do you mean you dont have the arbor/mandrel.. you NEED it to cut... its the drill bit that drills a pilot hole to keep it steady... unless you somehow took a cupsaw without the mandrel and duct taped it onto your drill in a way that its totally even and wont budge and you drill it really well :D

now will a holesawcut through clear acrylic/plastic? oh and alluminum

elite.mafia said:
i recommend the bi-metal ones for cutting metal... dont go cheap and get wood blades tho... ive tried that and it ground up the teeth and wasnt sharp anymore... now i got a hole in my psu with a round shiny grinded circle around it

yes, it will cut thru plastic, just be careful and dont slip and crack it... a tip is to drill normally with the mandrel but when the finish the pilot hole, you turn the drill in reverse for the teeth to spin the other way to cut thru the plastic slower so it doesnt crack

elite.mafia said:

Depends what kind you get..they can cut through pretty much anything if you use the right one.

Just don't buy the cheap ass all in one kits...they such ass and are only meant for a few uses making holes in WOOD.

Later

MD

aight ill buy one at homedepot... hopefully the online store is the same so i can just pick it up... which holesaw should i get from homedepot if i wanna cut an 80x80 mm hole through clear plastic AND alluminum/metal? i wanna make a few holes....

wayne said:
what do you mean you dont have the arbor/mandrel.. you NEED it to cut... its the drill bit that drills a pilot hole to keep it steady... unless you somehow took a cupsaw without the mandrel and duct taped it onto your drill in a way that its totally even and wont budge and you drill it really well :D
I mean that I said, "F*** this, this holesaw must just suck, I'm using my dremel, and I dremeled my holes. I would give the dremel holes a 7/10 rating. They look fine with the grills on though. Maybe I'll put tornados behind them to keep anyone from looking at my case too closely...

a 3 inch holesaw is good for cutting 80mm holes (3in= 76mm) and then sand it down nice.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dammit people.

If you spend more than $20 on a SET of hole saws up to 6" in size you are getting ripped off.

Stop recommending home depot.

Harborfreight.com (either locally or online) has the sets for cheap as dirt. Nobody here doing basic modding needs anything better. I've cut through 1/4" aluminum with these........they're so cheap who cares if you dull the crap out of them. Mine however are still in great shape.

Qtip42 said:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dammit people.

If you spend more than $20 on a SET of hole saws up to 6" in size you are getting ripped off.

Stop recommending home depot.

Harborfreight.com (either locally or online) has the sets for cheap as dirt. Nobody here doing basic modding needs anything better. I've cut through 1/4" aluminum with these........they're so cheap who cares if you dull the crap out of them. Mine however are still in great shape.
20??... crap, im a bit late then... i didnt recommend homedepot, i doubt i even mentioned it... altho i did buy mine there.. BIG RIPOFF THO... but at that time i didnt kno where else to get cheaper

also, you might want a pair of pliers handy cause my arbor always gets fuckin jammed in the holesaw. :mad:

EDIT: does harbor freight have large holesaws or only the <3" ones?

Vulcanus said:
also, you might want a pair of pliers handy cause my arbor always gets fuckin jammed in the holesaw. :mad:

EDIT: does harbor freight have large holesaws or only the <3" ones?
what do you mean it gets jammed?.. like it gets overtightened and its stuck?

<3.. heart ones?

wayne said:
what do you mean it gets jammed?.. like it gets overtightened and its stuck?

<3.. heart ones?
not <3, less than 3"

And yeah, the arbor I have has the ring you pull down with the two "prongs" on it that just snap up and are supposed to keep the holesaw from not tightening down. Well the prongs find a way to pop out and the holesaw overtightens WAY too much before I notice it and I have to get a wrench/vice/whatever to break it loose.

Vulcanus said:
not <3, less than 3"

And yeah, the arbor I have has the ring you pull down with the two "prongs" on it that just snap up and are supposed to keep the holesaw from not tightening down. Well the prongs find a way to pop out and the holesaw overtightens WAY too much before I notice it and I have to get a wrench/vice/whatever to break it loose.
i dont have prongs

my arbor just has a thread on it and the arbor came along with this spacer with threads so i put the spacer on and then screw the arbor onto the spacer and tighten it with a pliers

is tightening down bad?, what do you mean by tightening down?

Back