Hogwarts Legacy

At some point during the week I’m gonna test this game on my gaming laptop with a 3060 and 1080p display as well as my wifes rig that has my old 3080 pushing a 1080p ultra wide display.

She doesn’t game but I insisted on a gaming capable machine so when her nephew comes over and wants to play, he’s not on my machine. 🤣

Both have 32GB system ram, SSDs and 8 core Intel processors. Though I don’t recall the exact model.

But is it worth getting a new SSD drive for my current PC when I'll still be held back by my CPU and GPU?
I'd believe so. Not sure if you play MS flight sim, but man oh man the difference an SSD makes with that game.

Between the Crucial MX500 and Samsung 870 EVO, which would you say is better?
I’ve got both. Can’t tell a difference. If you’re going to image your existing hdd to it, I’d go with the Samsung for their free data migration tool. Works great but only works to clone to their own drives.

Crucial may have a similar utility but if they do I don’t have any personal experience with it.

I’ve got both. Can’t tell a difference. If you’re going to image your existing hdd to it, I’d go with the Samsung for their free data migration tool. Works great but only works to clone to their own drives.

Crucial may have a similar utility but if they do I don’t have any personal experience with it.
My X79 motherboard won't hold back either of those SSDs, correct? Just want to make sure.

1080ti is better than my card, iirc, and its playable for me at 1440 high
Why are you only looking at his GPU? He has a mechanical hard drive and a CPU that's even a bottleneck for his 1080 TI. Even if that hard drive is not a huge issue that CPU is in no way shape or form capable of maintaining anywhere near 60 FPS.

Why are you only looking at his GPU? He has a mechanical hard drive and a CPU that's even a bottleneck for his 1080 TI. Even if that hard drive is not a huge issue that CPU is in no way shape or form capable of maintaining anywhere near 60 FPS.
because the gpu does most of the work, not everyone insists on 60+ and like is said a post or two after, only one way to find out, try it. he may be happy with the performance.

I've only tested this on my new laptop which has a 4080 but this game runs very poorly for me, which is unfortunate because it's looking epic so far. Really hope things improve soon with a driver or patch. The .ini tweaks didn't seem to improve things for me.

Between the Crucial MX500 and Samsung 870 EVO, which would you say is better?

MX500 should still be fine for most games. I believe some of the most demanding games may be pushing past what a SATA drive can deliver, but I think that is very limited and still not that much of a deal. MS Flight Simulator maybe will benefit from a good TLC NVMe?

For all those having trouble on a 20XX 30XX or 40XX, try turning off ray tracing and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, play it that way till new drivers land.

I've only skimmed through this thread, but something with Ray Tracing seems way off.

With it enabled I'm at 9-40fps inside the first Hogwarts area. With all the RT off, I'm at a mostly locked in 100-120fps.

3840x1080
5800X

I'm considering getting a 7900xtx. Haven't seen anyone mention having an AMD card and their results. All nvidia love in here.

I'm considering getting a 7900xtx. Haven't seen anyone mention having an AMD card and their results. All nvidia love in here.
AMD cards seems to be doing better on average unless you get to 4k with raytracing on a 4090

I’d look at performance reviews. Also not a terrible idea to let nVidia release a driver for the game.

2C0A07CA-A0E5-4E21-9E87-F5529EA1290D.png
6D427152-6F66-49A9-9012-D55148732AD3.png

Raster and RT at 1440p from: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/6.html

From that, the 7900xtx runs at 15fps with RT unless you set RT to low.

Last edited:
The combat is metal as all hell sometimes

Slide down slope and crash through barricade into room. A goblin turns towards me only to be immediately hit in the teeth by his transfigured and volatile friend I just hurled at him. They explode and are presumably reduced to mist. A third turns around screaming something but is cut short as the room is lit by a flash bolt of lightning - dead.

It played out in seconds but I was flabbergasted.

Adding Trans dudes to the game and dropping he/she form the sounds of it. Was going to pick it up till I read that bs
Ehh, the 'they' wording does save on budget from recording two lines of he/she, which for this game would be massive.
To my knowledge there is only one transgender character, which because of magic in the game's universe makes more sense than our own.

This is hardly a reason to skip a truly amazing and benchmark game.

The combat is metal as all hell sometimes

Slide down slope and crash through barricade into room. A goblin turns towards me only to be immediately hit in the teeth by his transfigured and volatile friend I just hurled at him. They explode and are presumably reduced to mist. A third turns around screaming something but is cut short as the room is lit by a flash bolt of lightning - dead.

It played out in seconds but I was flabbergasted.

This games real time combat needs to be lauded even more. If games like dragon age are going to continue to veer away from more top down tactical styles with pausing, we need more engaging and dynamic combat like this. The combat was the one thing from trailers that looked the most repetitive, and the gap between how it plays and how it looks when other people play has got to be the biggest I've ever seen. It's fun.

Also, my character looks cool. Nothing like me, but that is by design. I always appreciate when we can make characters that are not busted looking.

legacy character cropped.jpg

The combat was the one thing from trailers that looked the most repetitive, and the gap between how it plays and how it looks when other people play has got to be the biggest I've ever seen. It's fun.
I completely agree. It's easy to get right into yet there is a good amount of depth and design work that went into things. A fun rpg. And yes, it's nice to be able to change the appearance of your character and gear with ease. The game has some nice touches that a lot of older open world rpgs lacked.

One thing I would like though that seems missing is an option to decouple your movement direction from your looking direction (WoW style movement options basically). If anyone has found a way to do this please let me know.

Huh - 10 gig 3080 running near flawlessly with high settings with the ini edit.

I think you're just getting the shit end of the stick here with your rig.
Try reinstalling.
Are you talking with RT on? Because without RT it is already running flawlessly without ini editing. With RT on Ultra it is still running like crap regardless of it.

It’s an OK game. Not sure why nerds are getting excited. In 2 hours we are just learning the game so maybe too early to call it.

Never seen Harry Potter or read the books, do I need to in order to enjoy this game? I'm in a bit of a gaming drought right now so looking for something to play until next month.

I have been pleasantly surprised by this game. I have a hard time finding games that can hold my interest, but this one fits the bill.

I am not a Harry Potter fanatic. I was originally coaxed into watching the movies by my mother as I had passed on them thinking they were kids movies, but rather enjoyed them due to my love of fantasy and sci-fi. I listened to the last book as an audiobook before the movie came out, but as I said not a fan boy I just take my fantasy and sci-fi how ever I can.

I picked up the game on steam an hour before preorders were over. So far the story plays like an interactive movie that I have genuine interest in what comes next.

I am running a 7950x with a 4090 and had a bit of stutter. I raised the shader cache in the driver and it seems to be a lot better after exploring the castle. I am on 4k max settings with raytracing on ultra with dlss set to quality and I editing the .ini to increase reflection quality. FPS is typically 80-100.

The fidelity of hogwarts castle makes the country side a bit disappointing as the castle seems like a completely different generation graphically. The raytracing in the castle is great especially with the reflection quality modified, but seems pretty pointless out side.

I have had pretty good results with dlss frame generation in other games. It is a game changer in flight sim 2020 and was rather impressive in plague tale requiem, but is crap in this game. If I turn off dlss and turn on frame generation I go from 45fps to 80-90, but the game feels like crap. If I turn dlss on with frame generation I gain 20fps more than with it off, but it feels like crap and I get the bonus of screen tearing even with gsync. Also I am playing with a controller and don’t mind reflex being off, so it feels like to me that the latency is a hell of a lot higher with frame generation on than with it off with no reflex.

Also cpu usage is pretty laughable, before I edited the ini file for raytracing quality my 4090 was sitting around bored at ~50% utilization. My cpu is running very cool and very lightly loaded. The windows task manager looks like 8 threads have some kind of load, but hwinfo shows core5 loaded 50%. I think it is shuffling a few threads on ccd0.

Anyway I think the game is great and I am glad I bought it. It is rare now for me to find game that can hold my interest. Last one I got into was Horizon forbidden west back before I sold my dusty ps5.

It’s an OK game. Not sure why nerds are getting excited. In 2 hours we are just learning the game so maybe too early to call it.

Give it some more time.

Never seen Harry Potter or read the books, do I need to in order to enjoy this game? I'm in a bit of a gaming drought right now so looking for something to play until next month.

No. I'm enjoying it quite a bit and I have nothing past broad familiarity.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hogwarts Legacy "Out of video memory" rendering error. I went to fire the game up and just saw this. A known issue out there. My specs easily exceed recommend specs and I am using an EVGA 3080. It's the first I've seen this in 25 hours or so of game time. I'll do what I can with it.

Recommended steps:

1.)Restart your PC
2.) Disable ray-tracing
3.) Verify integrity of game files
4.) Re-install the game
5.) Re-install relevant graphics drivers

I did 1, never have done 2, going to do 3 (these failed)... going to do 4 begrudgingly...using latest drivers and looking around rolling back drivers doesn't seem to help.

So if 4 fails I'm done playing the game until a patch. :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

How much do you guys think playing on a HDD will affect the game since it recommends an SSD?
I think someone posted earlier in the thread that is was running fine off a spinner for them.

I would try it before your spend money on upgrades. You can always refund the game through Steam if it has issues.

Just had a troll do my job for me, LOL, it's these random encounters that make games like this much more immersive.

Just had a troll do my job for me, LOL, it's these random encounters that make games like this much more immersive.

LOL! I had that happen too. I was doing the main quest for a certain character... shoot you might have done the same thing. I let the troll clean them out and he took a bunch of damage. I finished the troll off and took the item back to the character. Nice.

https://hardforum.com/threads/hogwarts-legacy.2018368/page-12#post-1045577469

I still can't back in the game. :(

LOL! I had that happen too. I was doing the main quest for a certain character... shoot you might have done the same thing. I let the troll clean them out and he took a bunch of damage. I finished the troll off and took the item back to the character. Nice.
Then maybe it's not so random after all. I let the troll live and skulked around invisible until I found the item, which triggers the second wave of ashvinders, so the troll ended up taking those out as well, assassin included.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Then maybe it's not so random after all. I let the troll live and skulked around invisible until I found the item, which triggers the second wave of ashvinders, so the troll ended up taking those out as well, assassin included.

Helm of Urktot part of main quest was what I was referring to for mine.

Hogwarts Legacy "Out of video memory" rendering error. I went to fire the game up and just saw this. A known issue out there. My specs easily exceed recommend specs and I am using an EVGA 3080. It's the first I've seen this in 25 hours or so of game time. I'll do what I can with it.

Recommended steps:

I did 1, never have done 2, going to do 3 (these failed)... going to do 4 begrudgingly...using latest drivers and looking around rolling back drivers doesn't seem to help.

So if 4 fails I'm done playing the game until a patch. :(

Unfortunately, it looks like I can't play until a patch. I tried everything unless people have other ideas. What a shame. Best I can determine there is no problem on the PC end and this issue is well known when you punch it in a search engine. I'll roll my GPU driver back for grins but that's the end of the road.

EDIT: I'm back on my November GPU driver and the only other thing I did was set .exe priority to high, turned off Ansel, turned off Steam overlay, and then I went into appdata, local and where the game save files are deleted user config settings and it worked. For now. Be warned.

Last edited:
My X79 motherboard won't hold back either of those SSDs, correct? Just want to make sure.
Nope, SATA-III has been maxed out for years now, and the two SSDs you listed are basically the pinnacle drives of the SATA protocol, which your motherboard and CPU will take full advantage of.
You could also use Clonezilla to just direct-copy your existing SSD to the newer and bigger SSD, and then install Hogwarts Legacy onto the new SSD and remove it from the old HDD.

Definitely worth it as even computer systems from the mid-2000s can take full advantage of SATA-based SSDs with a noticeable difference in load times in nearly all applications.
NVMe is a different story, but you can use that with your next build when you are ready if you so choose. :)

I've watched the first 2 or 3 movies but I don't remember them well so I don't consider myself a HP fan but I bought this game cuz I wanted new and shiny. It's fun and I don't really know much about the lore at all. There's so much detail in the world, I'm having a blast just exploring and seeing a new fantasy world for me. It doesn't need the franchise for it to be a good game but I imagine this is zOMG for fans. What I saw of the combat kinda made me think of SW Force powers or whatever. Bouncing and floating enemies around lol

I ran into this earlier, and I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended but every loot bag I go to tells me I can't carry any more wiggenweld potions, so I can't loot them. I can't sell, trash, or do anything with the stupid potions either, besides letting an enemy beat on me to then heal afterwards. This is incredibly obnoxious, especially when you see the bag with a nice pillar of light indicating the rarity of the other non-potiony items inside. This is the first deal breaker I've encountered in an otherwise very fun playthrough.

Back