Hogwarts Legacy

Ryzen 5900x, 2080ti, 32GB DDR4, 3440x1440

For the first bit it ran great. 60fps with Ultra settings + Ultra Ray tracing. Got to Hogwarts and it instantly turned into a 2fps mess. Exit the game and load the save and it's good for 5 minutes and then turns into a stuttery mess again. Lowering settings doesn't seem to help. Shelving it until it's patched.
Yeah dude - Ray Tracing hits effing hard in this game. My GPU isn't much better and RT tanks my performance. Put all that shit on high, put DLSS on and lower RT to like medium at best.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I would just wait until nvidia game ready drivers get released. Daniel Owen on YT was testing and was barely getting 50% utilization on his 4090 with RT on.

I would just wait until nvidia game ready drivers get released. Daniel Owen on YT was testing and was barely getting 50% utilization on his 4090 with RT on.
i thought yesterdays release was for it but apparently not... people need to simmer down and wait for it.
also, those with 3080s and under gpus should temper their RT expectations a little...

If this is a UE4 game it’s no surprise raytracing runs like shit. Every UE4 game with raytracing runs like shit. The engine supports it, but I’m confident it’s just way too much for this ancient game engine to handle at this point.

If this is a UE4 game it’s no surprise raytracing runs like shit. Every UE4 game with raytracing runs like shit. The engine supports it, but I’m confident it’s just way too much for this ancient game engine to handle at this point.
very good point.

i thought yesterdays release was for it but apparently not... people need to simmer down and wait for it.
also, those with 3080s and under gpus should temper their RT expectations a little...
I don't get it. Games are developed for years, why is it impossible to give GPU manufacturers access to any beta or RC?

Installed the new NVidia drivers last night and the games been crashing constantly ever since.

I forgot my new RAM at the office yesterday but I'm hoping to install it tonight and see if 32gb really helps.

Lowering DLSS to performance instead of quality helped smooth things out at 4k but I suspect it's just a band aid for whatever the real problem is. Seems like the game runs fine when first launched or I change graphics settings, then performance just keeps dropping. I was going to try playing with RT disabled but the game did look noticeably worse without it (imho).

Installed the new NVidia drivers last night and the games been crashing constantly ever since.

I forgot my new RAM at the office yesterday but I'm hoping to install it tonight and see if 32gb really helps.

Lowering DLSS to performance instead of quality helped smooth things out at 4k but I suspect it's just a band aid for whatever the real problem is. Seems like the game runs fine when first launched or I change graphics settings, then performance just keeps dropping. I was going to try playing with RT disabled but the game did look noticeably worse without it (imho).
Those aren’t the game ready drivers

Those aren’t the game ready drivers
I didn't say they were, and I hope you're right because they clearly suck. :ROFLMAO:

That said they are the newest drivers and they do have a game ready profile as LightsOut said so I figured they were worth a shot. I was wrong.

I'm still going to add the ram tonight and check things out before reverting to the older drivers.

Too many good games out to waste time on new unoptimized ones. I just bought Ghost of Tsushima PS4 (I have Pro) version off eBay for $20. When they fix Hogwart's PC I'll play it.

It's a not a problem with the ray tracing. The issue many people are having appears to be caused by running out of VRAM at which point the game drops to single digit framerates until you Alt F4 out. It happens with low settings and ray tracing off; it's like it just keeps loading the VRAM and never flushes it so after 5 minutes or so you run out and the game dies.

I wish we could get more reviewers like him.

I'm listening to his review right now, he does good work. What I can say for sure right now is AMD cards run this game much better than Nvidia, minus RT. Its just a much smoother experience overall and not nearly as much texture pop.

ive had exactly 10 crashes in 14hrs playtime so far. all of them happened during cutscenes. fps drops from 50+ to under 10 and then it crashes. really weird. other fps dips occur, but no crashes then
edit: found this in a reddit thread and it helped a bunch of people

"Turn camera acceleration to 0 and if playing on a controller, turn the sensitivity all the way up, fixed the stutters for me"

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. A770 out performing a 3080 at 1440p and 4K with RT enabled is impressive. Gives me hope that we will actually have a 3rd viable GPU manufacturer very soon. Perhaps as soon as their next gen product release.
The $250 a750 is a strong competitor at 2560x1440 in general across many games... I'm hopeful Intel can continue!

Impressive. Raster performance is bad but it does surprisingly well in ray tracing. While the RTX 4070 is not out, it seems like it would fall somewhere between the A770's 33 frame rates and the RTX 4070ti's 41.1 frame rates. And that is for a card that will cost $600-750.
You think it'll be only $50 less? :LOL:. Be realistic...

Come on people! I have higher expectations than usual for the folks here. Don't buy unfinished/unoptimized/poor ports. It only encourages this kind of behavior.

I know, this game is going to sell gangbusters no matter what but I refuse to buy a shitty PC port. I still haven't purchased Cyberpunk yet (I'll get around to it).

Finally got this setup on the TV for my wife. 6800xt was easily doing 4k/60 with fsr on. Decided to turn it off and try native 4k, was still getting 45-50 fps in the castle.

I can see why some cards are having trouble. AMD control panel shows a bit over 12gb of vram being utilized.

I wouldn't call this a shitty port and I call almost everything a shitty port. I haven't been this impressed with a AAA game maybe ever.

i think its just the high natural VRAM usage the game has, coupled with the memory leakage.
1st problem is with nvidias last generation being low on VRAM and 20series cards being kinda old by now,
second is patchable.

When the 8 gig 3070 fully keep up with a 11 gig 2080TI and the 12 gig 4070 fully keep up with the 24 gig 3090, does not seem obvious to be a lack of vram situation.

I feel we would be seeing a large gap between the 10 gig 3080 and the 24 gig 3090, when it seem to be a bit of the usual one (at least for the low number without RT).

Even with RT on, 3080 10gb do 15 fps at 4k, 3090 do 17.6 fps, 12 gig 4070ti do 19.9, 24 gig 3090TI does 21.1.... maybe there some issue but regular ram got so fast with ddr-5 6000 that it massage it down to the point of not seeing it clearly.

I dunno - my 3080 with 10 gigs of vram has barely gone over 9 gigs of usage yet.
Seems very sporadic how all of our experiences are.
I don't know what other factors there could be. If it helps, mine is on a 100% clean win10 install. Essentially put together a new pc to see if the gpu was at fault for some bad issues (thankfully not), but it means the 5700x cpu is running stock and the ram is running at only 2133hz. Also my number is at native 4k. Didn't check what it was upscaled with FSR.

I dunno - my 3080 with 10 gigs of vram has barely gone over 9 gigs of usage yet.
thats what im saying, im on a 3070 with 8gigs and its acting up, vram is a big issue for sure
could it just be allocating all that it can?
yeah, thats what i tried to say.
its an allocating issue/ high vram usage issue, rather that a pc-port issue. nvidia fucked everyone for the 30series GPUs by skimping on VRAM.

also, its a AAA game that would look absolutely gorgeous maxed out, but barely any endusers on PC are running current cycle graphics cards, and look at steam users and what graphic cards they have, percentagewise, 40series doesnt even crack the top 50 there

yeah, but everyone with a GPU lower than a 3080 has less than 10gigs of vram. and because of the last 3 years of fuckery, thats like at least 80 percent of pc players for this game, i'd wager....
edit: after ~30mins of playing, my VRAM usage shoots up to 90%+, i'm not trying to say its all GPU related, see my earlier posts, theres a leak on the games end FOR SURE.

Followed some kid across campus because I saw him walking around his his wand out and I thought he was bugged

Eventually stumbled into a quest hours later... and found he's blind and navigates with his wand

Well that was a unexpected detail

I'm using xbone controller, I'll get the driver version for Nvidia I'm using 'cause it's been perfectly fine for me, for about 12 hours of playthrough with everything maxed 4k60 RT. OLD drivers too.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I'm on kbm, and it seems to play very well so far.

This is a great exploration game. Lots to do and see. I kept the graphics on its default recommended settings (which were ultra and rtx off) and haven't run into any issues. The only setting I think I changed was 60fps to 120fps max framerate. I'm on the last set of nvidia drivers rather than the latest ones. I'm going to stay on the safe side and not update or change settings yet since it's running well at 4k120.

I guess I can't really describe myself as a huge HP fan, but I did read the first 2-3 books when younger. The castle is pretty much exactly as I had imagined it. I love all the detail they poured into the world.

I loved the movies, mostly from 3 on but yeah I’ve seen them all multiple times. This seems like the open world HP game we’ve been waiting for. I’ll boot it up tomorrow but likely won’t have time to really get into it until next week, looking forward to it!

Back