Hogwarts Legacy

Damn well that’s disappointing. There’s still no driver update for the game yet though right? Will probably be sorted with a driver or an early patch I’m guessing.
Actually that's promising, if it ran like crap across the board there would be less hope for a fix.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Everybody should who cares about not living in a clown world where observable reality is blasphemy and feelings are fact.

I always have to laugh at people whose immediate reaction to criticism is that you must hate it all then. Heck, I wasn't even critical, I just stated things as they are without comment outside of one shocked face smiley. It doesn't affect the meat of the game yet. I'm sorry you can't stomach even mild criticism without blowing a gasket, so here is a trigger warning for you: I'm staying and will probably have more things to criticize about the game before the day is over.

The more you ignore it the harder they push it, we tried to take it as no big deal, gave an inch, now they demand a mile, if we give a mile, they'll want it to go all the way to the moon. My position is now that we shouldn't even have given an inch. Today it is just a gender fluid character creator tomorrow you get -25% HP if you try to create a cis character. And get reported to the thought police if you refuse to be 'friendly' with the trans character in game.

You could've fooled me, you sound ready to give in without a fight.

Sincerely, a hard-line liberal leftist, who stands on the side of sanity against mindless drivel and with actual justice against social justice.
lol

It was probably just a design choice that worked out well for them in multiple ways. A) sure, they get to be "woke" and inclusive to a marginalized and very small percentage of people that can create PR nightmares. B) they don't have to record gender specific voice lines for both sexes (they always use gender ambiguous terms to refer to the main character), which probably saved them a ton of money and effort.

As a Software Development professional, I easily can see how much this narrows scope and effort when all you have to really account for is which dorm the character stays in. All this being considered, it's an easy win win situation to any stakeholder involved in that process.

I understand your concern, but getting triggered so hard over something so mundane that has zero overall impact to the experience and only seems to allow more choice...just isn't worth the energy. Though, alas, you're welcome to your opinion and can choose whether or not to play due to such design choices...

Meanwhile, I'm going to roll badass looking dude named Buck with a bunch of facial scars..... but with a high pitched girl voice, because that's fucking hilarious to me.

I would estimate that a day 1 driver should appear on friday for the actual launch of the game. With RT off, my 6900XT absolutely crushes my 4090. Its like 175fps in Hogsmeade vs 80. I would be interested in the fps numbers of anyone with an RX 7000 series card.

A driver JUST dropped, but doesn't mention the game at all. Something's fucky on the NVidia side of things for there to be such a huge difference between the brands. Wonder if it has to do with the game technically being a console port, and most consoles are running AMD...probably better optimization around that, and plus probably allowed AMD to have the jump on getting drivers out.

EDIT:

Looks like there was a profile included, just wasn't in release notes:

Profile "Hogwarts Legacy"
ShowOn GeForce
ProfileType Application
Executable "phoenix-win64-test.exe"
Executable "hogwartslegacy.exe"
Setting ID_0x105e2a1d = 0x00000004
Setting ID_0x10f9dc81 = 0x00000011
Setting ID_0x10f9dc84 = 0x01000000
Setting ID_0x80857a28 = 0x00000001
EndProfile

20230208091317_1.jpg

The music and sound in this game are Top Notch sounds better with speakers than headphones but I haven't tried my Senns just HyperX.
Speakers sound really immersive like your actually there. Just waiting a a Corp Por spell no idea if the spells are the same for each house you select.

Last edited:
I don't get it how is it possible to read my post and take away so little or sometimes the opposite of the things written.
It was probably just a design choice that worked out well for them in multiple ways. A) sure, they get to be "woke" and inclusive to a marginalized and very small percentage of people that can create PR nightmares. B) they don't have to record gender specific voice lines for both sexes (they always use gender ambiguous terms to refer to the main character), which probably saved them a ton of money and effort.
They actually have a mix and match of gender specific and non specific references, if anything it seems like the removal of pronouns is an afterthought. The characer is referenced as "they" in one line but then call her "the girl" in another.
As a Software Development professional, I easily can see how much this narrows scope and effort when all you have to really account for is which dorm the character stays in. All this being considered, it's an easy win win situation to any stakeholder involved in that process.
Win win for the investors usually means loose loose for the consumers BTW. You are already recording two sets of dialogue for the two voices, making the gender interchangeable actually makes their situation worse, because now you have to record 4 sets to accommodate for Male with female voice, and female with male voice.
I understand your concern, but getting triggered so hard over something so mundane that has zero overall impact to the experience and only seems to allow more choice...just isn't worth the energy.
I don't know how is stating it in a matter of fact way is being triggered. Is the mere mention of things a taboo now? Then my concern is doubly warranted if that is the case.
Though, alas, you're welcome to your opinion and can choose whether or not to play due to such design choices...
I literally said it does not affect the meat of the game, so IDK what strawman are you replying to here.
Meanwhile, I'm going to roll badass looking dude named Buck with a bunch of facial scars..... but with a high pitched girl voice, because that's fucking hilarious to me.
And I never mentioned having a problem with being able to crossdress or make a girl with a beard if that is your kink. But it is completely unnecessary to pretend gender is not a thing for that.

BTW the pitch slider is terrible in the game anything that is not in the middle makes the voice robotic sounding.

Not running as well on my 3080 @ 4k as I would like. I was really hoping to avoid the 4000 series but between this and Darktide, it might be time to upgrade if I want RTX enabled without lowering settings.

I'm considering upgrading to 32GB of RAM from what everyone is saying but I haven't seen the game go above ~6GB.

Edit: Local BB had a decent 32gb 3600 corsair set for $99. I'll see how RAM usage changes tonight.

Last edited:
BTW the pitch slider is terrible in the game anything that is not in the middle makes the voice robotic sounding.
It's so bad.... I didn't realize I could change it back without starting over until I just googled it. Thank goodness lol.

A new Nvidia driver was just released. 528.49

528.49 has a 'Game Ready Driver Profile' for Hogwart's Legacy, just not listed in release notes

Profile "Hogwarts Legacy"
ShowOn GeForce
ProfileType Application
Executable "phoenix-win64-test.exe"
Executable "hogwartslegacy.exe"
Setting ID_0x105e2a1d = 0x00000004
Setting ID_0x10f9dc81 = 0x00000011
Setting ID_0x10f9dc84 = 0x01000000
Setting ID_0x80857a28 = 0x00000001
EndProfile

I cannot believe that. Did you actually put RT on? Because for me it defaulted all RT to off, and everything else to ULTRA. I know a 3080 is faster but not by 10000%. I get 1FPS and you get 100? HOW?

The only way I get playable performance if I turn all RT effects off, just leaving reflections on medium kills it all immediately. Without them it's playable but nowhere near 100fps, not even 60.
Unfortunately without RT the game also looks much worse.

I suspect it is buggy because the performance is not consistent, sometimes it runs playable even with RT, then it starts to bog, then it speeds up again. Which happens with RT off as well, just not to the same degree.

View attachment 547465 View attachment 547466
Left image is RT off, right with everything on max. Unfortunately different locations, I did not have time to mess with it more yet.

Not sure on the cause of why I'm running decent framerates. RTX is off.

However, like I said after my edit - once I went outside, things got temporarily choppy. It seems the loading of the outside level is what makes it choppy. Hitting sometimes as low as 25 to 30 frames, but then goes right back to 80ish outside.

I personally think the game looks good without RTX on - but again, I haven't tried putting it on. I'm guessing I'll be slashed in half with framerate and I'm not really wanting that. Just wait, I'm sure a first day patch or so will be released.

I'm more concerned about the terrible pop ins - anyone else experiencing these?

Last edited:
I would be wary of the new Nvidia drivers people are reporting 10-20 FPS loss with them someone said it made their game laggy.
I'm not going to install them if the stuff from the last month works just had one crash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Unofficial Hogwarts Legacy PC Tweaks Significantly Improve Ray Traced Reflections and Ambient Occlusion

Editing the game's engine.ini files can greatly improve the quality of ray tracing reflections and ambient occlusion...by making these changes, there appears to be an additional drop in performance, but these tweaks seem to be a temporary fix for most of the ray tracing issues on PC

Reddit member Knochey, who discovered this, shared the following comparison screenshots...and the visual improvements that these tweaks bring is enormous...

https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/...ent-occlusion-reflections-in-hogwarts-legacy/

like this
I don't get it how is it possible to read my post and take away so little or sometimes the opposite of the things written.

They actually have a mix and match of gender specific and non specific references, if anything it seems like the removal of pronouns is an afterthought. The characer is referenced as "they" in one line but then call her "the girl" in another.

Win win for the investors usually means loose loose for the consumers BTW. You are already recording two sets of dialogue for the two voices, making the gender interchangeable actually makes their situation worse, because now you have to record 4 sets to accommodate for Male with female voice, and female with male voice.

I don't know how is stating it in a matter of fact way is being triggered. Is the mere mention of things a taboo now? Then my concern is doubly warranted if that is the case.

I literally said it does not affect the meat of the game, so IDK what strawman are you replying to here.

And I never mentioned having a problem with being able to crossdress or make a girl with a beard if that is your kink. But it is completely unnecessary to pretend gender is not a thing for that.

It was more of the "if you give an inch, they will take a mile" comment and such around that and the overall tone of your response, but I digress.

Haven't gotten to far to notice they actually use gender specific terms, so there's that, though it's very limited. I don't see how any of this causes one to have to record 4 sets though, there's really not a lot of times I've seen thus far where gender even matters in regards to the main character, aside from the dorm room, but maybe I'm not far enough.

It's worth noting that budgets for these things aren't typically as fluid as you'd think, and stakeholders mean something different in the SD world. They aren't always "investors", they just have a stake in the project, whether it's monetarily or professionally. Basically, in a lot of the software business, saving money on one thing means being able to invest more into another..so they get a win win with the gender stuff that also saves them money, they can use that development time and money to be put towards more content, gameplay mechs, etc.

I definitely noticed that pitch slider weird shit. It's not so bad coming through my speakers but it's horribly noticeable through headphones.

I would be wary of the new Nvidia drivers people are reporting 10-20 FPS loss with them someone said it made their game laggy.
I'm not going to install them if the stuff from the last month works just had one crash.
Ugh, that sucks.

The game runs fantastic with everything maxed, including ray tracing....unless I go outside or certain areas. It's weird, not consistent low framerates but major stuttering and frame drops. Running great specs that have never had issues with any game, but this one gives me the issues. Hearing that AMD users are getting fantastic with less powerful cards leads me to think that NVidia dropped the ball.

11GB should be more than enough for ultra 1080p. Whether or not the performance is there is another matter.

She's actually trying to play at 3440×1440. So definitely an issue there. She switched over to her laptop which runs a 3080 and she says it's better.

I told her to wait until official launch for patches and driver updates so she should leave me alone for awhile

like this
Weird, I've experienced no issues so far and I hate almost everything. Pre-DL'd, fired up upon getting home. No hiccups, no framerate limit, motion blur can be disabled, no bugs so far, no performance issues so far, music is top notch. Story has been good so far. Color me impressed and surprised!

like this
View attachment 547501

The music and sound in this game are Top Notch sounds better with speakers than headphones but I haven't tried my Senns just HyperX.
Speakers sound really immersive like your actually there. Just waiting a a Corp Por spell no idea if the spells are the same for each house you select.

Sound design is exceptional and good sound is essential for this whether fighting enemies or puzzle solving/treasure hunting.

I'm more concerned about the terrible pop ins - anyone else experiencing these?

I saw one briefly over the water when looking out from a balcony on an upper level of Hogwarts. It was very fast but I did see it. It was probably the only one that I saw in a good half dozen hours of playing so far.

Weird, I've experienced no issues so far and I hate almost everything. Pre-DL'd, fired up upon getting home. No hiccups, no framerate limit, motion blur can be disabled, no bugs so far, no performance issues so far, music is top notch. Story has been good so far. Color me impressed and surprised!

I need to mark this day on my calendar. ;) :)

Huh, guess I'll have to see how it performs on my 6800xt. Sounds promising so far. Going to grab it for my wife. Ran a good hdmi cable from my pc to the 65" in the living room, so here's to hoping she can enjoy it.

like this
I really want to play HL game . I've already made a pre-order for PC version.
But I'm a little disappointed that there won't be any favorite characters, and in general the plot is there in another magical era.
Just a quick spoiler - there are plenty of ancestors of your "favorite" characters.

Not gonna say which ones, as there are several that I've encountered so far within a few hours.

like this
I've had no problems playing 4k60 on my TV with an xbox contoller on:

2x16GB DDR5-6000
EVGA RTX 3090 Hybrid
gen4 NVMe 1tb

I downloaded it on my slower PC overnight on the 6th, copy-pasted to the gaming rig above, steam detected the files on "install", and I was able to pop on. It auto-everythinged to ultra except raytracing which was disabled, I set RT everything to Ultra. Gamed right away no muss no fuss, on old GPU drivers nonetheless.

I didn't notice any stutters at all. Most of the visuals are amazing, although the cats are lame ducks for instance.

I was right about only having a few spells to choose from at a time, I assume the missions (at least so far) are only going to need the four you choose and the several "essential" spells like 'reveal.io' (tongue in cheek). I'm still getting the hang of aiming, by default you aim at what you look at but when fighting multiple enemies I prefer the lock-on method, but getting it to lock and switch has been a trial

I may not have seen you all specifically mention it so I will: PC I see either windowed fullscreen or windowed. No "exclusive fullscreen" or comparable option and that may be part of some of the performance issues. A seemingly bizarre omission.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HarryPotterGame/comments/10wa5sc/no_fullscreen_mode_on_pc/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/990080/discussions/0/3761104498515710134/ etc. etc. You get the idea.

Think fullscreen and DLSS-tied options are two separate issues. For fullscreen I guess you would want to do the following:

• Head over to the following location
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor (this could depend on where you got the game from, Steam or EGL)

• Here, open the GameUserSettings.ini file using a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++
  • In this file, you want to set the values of the following variables to, as shown below
FullscreenMode=0
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=0
PreferredFullscreenMode=0 (couldn't find this one so added it manually)

• All three variables need to be 0, so make sure you search for each
  • Also, to ensure that the correct resolution has been inputted, make sure to adjust the following variables to your desired resolution as well. For example, if you want to play the game at 1080p, you will adjust it as shown below
ResolutionSizeX=1920 ResolutionSizeY=1080 (for 1080p for instance)
Save the file and exit out
Note that in-game the "Window Mode" will be blank, because Fullscreen doesn't even exist in the possible options (yet). Unsure this makes the situation better, FPS-wise, would say let's wait for a corrective patch.

This might be worth trying.

Alt Enter doesn't do a thing. Turing off Nvidia DLSS or any upscaling option also does not remedy this. Maybe this is a non issue so take it for whatever it's worth.

I may not have seen you all specifically mention it so I will: PC I see either windowed fullscreen or windowed. No "exclusive fullscreen" or comparable option and that may be part of some of the performance issues. A seemingly bizarre omission.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HarryPotterGame/comments/10wa5sc/no_fullscreen_mode_on_pc/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/990080/discussions/0/3761104498515710134/ etc. etc. You get the idea.

This might be worth trying.

Alt Enter doesn't do a thing. Turing off Nvidia DLSS or any upscaling option also does not remedy this. Maybe this is a non issue so take it for whatever it's worth.
A proper borderless window mode, is superior, when done right(you can alt-tab smoothly, etc). And that's probably what they are going for.

I dunno if it's available in Windows 10. For W11 in the advanced graphics options of display settings, there is now an option to force "flip" mode for windowed games which don't natively do it. Give that a try, if it's not on. If it is on, try turning it off.

like this
A proper borderless window mode, is superior, when done right(you can alt-tab smoothly, etc). And that's probably what they are going for.

I dunno if it's available in Windows 10. For W11 in the advanced graphics options of display settings, there is now an option to force "flip" mode for windowed games which don't natively do it. Give that a try, if it's not on. If it is on, try turning it off.

Good deal. I've also made sure G-sync is enabled for both full screen and windowed mode.

played some more tonight. I dunno why but this one has me hooked. It’s lighthearted and makes me forget reality for a bit. Runs really good on my gfs machine 12th gen i5 and 3080.

R.I.P. 16GB :eek:

System ram usage is insane and 16GB is a stuttery mess at times in this game if this is anything to go by.

Last edited:

System ram usage is insane and 16GB is a stuttery mess at times in this game if this is anything to go by.

Yup - I was hitting upwards of 23 gigs in use at one point. All I had open was steam

Yup - I was hitting upwards of 23 gigs in use at one point. All I had open was steam
Very strange that they do not put 32GB for the recommended then. I believe there are at least 3 games coming out in the next few months that will recommend 32GB. IMO 32GB should be the standard now for any pc where modern demanding gaming is the focus. 16GB only makes sense if you want to play games that are not demanding for the next few years. Heck I had 32GB all the way back in 2011.

I just picked up the standard edition from GMG. I didn’t think the deluxe edition was worth it. I’ll never use the battle arena.

Ryzen 5900x, 2080ti, 32GB DDR4, 3440x1440

For the first bit it ran great. 60fps with Ultra settings + Ultra Ray tracing. Got to Hogwarts and it instantly turned into a 2fps mess. Exit the game and load the save and it's good for 5 minutes and then turns into a stuttery mess again. Lowering settings doesn't seem to help. Shelving it until it's patched.

Last edited:
Ryzen 5900x, 2080ti, 32GB DDR4, 3440x1440

For the first bit it ran great. 60fps with Ultra settings + Ultra Ray tracing. Got to Hogwarts and it instantly turned into a 2fps mess. Exit the game and load the save and it's good for 5 minutes and then turns into a stuttery mess again. Lowering settings doesn't seem to help. Shelving it until it's patched.
DLSS should help a ton.

I'm not surprised.

I really had figured 32GB was the baseline standard for the last several years at least. It has been for me anyways.

I dunno why but this one has me hooked. It’s lighthearted and makes me forget reality for a bit.

You answered your own question. ;)

Performance: On a 380 with solid specs that I don't feel like typing out right now I'm running 4k with the slider set to 60fps and everything at high. Nvidia low latency on. Gsync running.

Ultra is a pipe dream. Ray tracing stuff is a pipe dream at present. DLSS set to quality.

For now, it's the sweet spot for me on visuals and performance. Every so often I will see fast pop-in that some people have mentioned but I have no stuttering and everything looks good. Nothing egregious.

Last edited:
20230209094815_1.jpg
20230209094818_1.jpg
20230209094831_1.jpg
20230209094840_1.jpg

New driver seems to have done the trick. I still get some stutter every once in a while but not near what I was experiencing before.

I don't have a framerate counter up, but things seem smooth enough, at least 60+.

All I did was go into the GeForce Experience and used their optimized settings. Hopefully a new driver comes out to fix the remaining stuttering.

Unofficial Hogwarts Legacy PC Tweaks Significantly Improve Ray Traced Reflections and Ambient Occlusion

Editing the game's engine.ini files can greatly improve the quality of ray tracing reflections and ambient occlusion...by making these changes, there appears to be an additional drop in performance, but these tweaks seem to be a temporary fix for most of the ray tracing issues on PC

Reddit member Knochey, who discovered this, shared the following comparison screenshots...and the visual improvements that these tweaks bring is enormous...

https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/...ent-occlusion-reflections-in-hogwarts-legacy/
WTF are the developers doing if third party ini edits solve problems practically day one?!

WTF are the developers doing if third party ini edits solve problems practically day one?!

Because this is still early access and not day one. February 10th is the "real first day of official release."

Because this is still early access and not day one. February 10th is the "real first day of official release."
Let's hope the patch goes live the moment the release hits

like this
Did the ray-tracing at ultra last night. (4K Resolution) It was playable but not as fluid as before i turned it on. Set it to high and it did make it smoother. Can always go to medium if need be.
As for the game, i've been playing everything on hard except for the duels, which i put at normal after failing it for 2 hours straight.
Would LOVE to see Quidditch put into the game if done right and maybe dynamic events , weather or quests. (Is there any?)
Having fun though and that's all that matters atm.

Back