HMD cooling methods for the user?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I've modded both my Samsung Odyssey + and HP Reverb G2 with air flow.
I seem to have the ability to fog up a display (despite not being a hot/sweaty type) and also get nauseous very quickly when I have no air flow.
Anyone else suffered and or made a comfort fix to a HMD and if so how did you skin the cat?

Myself I have purchased after market face gasket/pad replacements, so I simply fashioned an aquarium air pump, single outlet with a splitter or a dual output, both with aquarium tubing (One tube each eye regardless). I tuck the tubing under the Velcro of the face gasket and I put a terminator plug in the end and poked needle holes in the tubing that is in the headset itself to allow very soft defused fresh positive air flow. The air-pump has a dial for variable levels of air flow for comfort levels. Also a cheap aquarium in-line adjuster can be inserted close to the HMD itself so the user can adjust to their liking on the fly while gaming as long as you know roughly where it is :D

Makes a world of difference to me as honestly don't think I could use VR for anything beyond minimal use without my rigged up air system. I am also a wimp where I must have fresh air going in the car. To sit in a car with no air flow is just pure torture to me and I look down on folks who just endure that! :p Psychos.
I am guessing some newer HMD come with built it cooling. About time.

Last edited:
That's pretty extreme.
For the Quest 2 I did get some fogging while playing really active games. I got a better facial interface meant for working out and a better headstrap, and it usually wasn't an issue after that.
The Quest Pro's front is completely open so fogging up is never an issue, it's perfect for working out.

Creative solution. Been thinking of a way to do the same and I might copy your design. No patent on it I'm assuming.😉

Anyone else suffered and or made a comfort fix to a HMD and if so how did you skin the cat?

I don't know how long your sessions are, but a zero dollar solution that worked for me for short sessions (with a GearVR which is garbage but anyway) was to warm up the HMD by having the face part of it on top of my head while I was getting the software setup and going. Most of the fogging is from warm humid air from your face landing on the cool surface of the lenses. Letting it sit on your head warms the lenses so humidity won't condense on them. Obviously don't do this if you hair is greasy or full of product.

I don't know how long your sessions are, but a zero dollar solution that worked for me for short sessions (with a GearVR which is garbage but anyway) was to warm up the HMD by having the face part of it on top of my head while I was getting the software setup and going. Most of the fogging is from warm humid air from your face landing on the cool surface of the lenses. Letting it sit on your head warms the lenses so humidity won't condense on them. Obviously don't do this if you hair is greasy or full of product.
Okay that makes sense. I will try that as it seems sometimes it gets foggy in seconds with no reason. Great tip.

18,000 BTU Air Conditioner in Window, cooling 12 x 12 room. I make it cold and frigid. Maybe get some frost but no fogging. Noise? What noise?

18,000 BTU Air Conditioner in Window, cooling 12 x 12 room. I make it cold and frigid. Maybe get some frost but no fogging. Noise? What noise?
Man sounds like meat locker type cooling do you wear winter clothing in there?

Reactions: noko
like this
Unfortunately the ac unit only goes down to 64F. Main reason so big is previous hobby mining with some ASICS, and GPUs.

Now I also have a treadmill in there cutting into my VR space even when it is up.

Finally hooked up the 7900 XTX to the Vive Pro 2. Not impressed.

I need something for my pimax crystal....MY GOD so hot....but so heavy too! Much hotness and heavyness.....itchy tasty

Back