HL2 : Deathmatch IS OUT!

merlin704 said:
....yawn....I hope Santa gives you coal for Xmas. :mad:

me too, i could use the extra heat for when it eventually reaches 60 degrees here in the depths of winter :)

obs said:
Yea, because the only way to play against other people is on the internet... Ever heard of a LAN?

Sometimes I fear posting because I do not wish to be flamed... Thanks obs for coming to my defense.

valkyre said:
That's like buying a Mercedes, with square wheels. When you ask the dealer why he didn't just put on some standard round wheels, he tells you that you should shut your trap and be thankful that they decided to throw in wheels at all.

Sorry, that doesn't fly with me. Include the full product, you morons.
If I sold you a turd and called it gold, which one of us is the moron? Obviously you are, because you didn't bother doing the research to figure out that turd does not equal gold.

If "that doesn't fly with you" then why the hell did you buy HL2? You knew it was going to incomplete. The only person you should be angry at is yourself.

i played for a second... i hopped in a 12 person server and it was a lot of fun. throwing barrels and the machine gun/shotgun were a lot of fun.

DemonDiablo said:
You getting Battle for Middle Earth? Cant wait for that to come out.

Oh yeah, i'm waiting on that one and stonghold 2!!!!!

Maximus825 said:
Astronutty: How were you able to activate your HL2 without an internet connection? Did you do one of the friend's machine tricks or somethin'? I've wondered how people would do this.

I had to take it to a friend's house
. I was hoping to buy a few more copies for my additional PCs, but it seems like alot of work to pack them all up.
I might just stick with Battlefield Vietnam for my multiplayer fun till Valve releases downloadable updates. Or go with HL2DM when I get wireless internet from one of my neighbors. I wish I could participate without having to have Steam.

Astronutty said:

I had to take it to a friend's house
. I was hoping to buy a few more copies for my additional PCs, but it seems like alot of work to pack them all up.
I might just stick with Battlefield Vietnam for my multiplayer fun till Valve releases downloadable updates. Or go with HL2DM when I get wireless internet from one of my neighbors. I wish I could participate without having to have Steam.

Here's a question? Do you like live in 1990 or something? SERIOUSLY, why don't you have internet? Hell, you can get fuckin SBC DSL for a little more than AOL costs per month.

I think some people that complain about HL2 and Steam are just being a pain in the ass for the sake of being a pain in the ass. I've not had a SINGLE problem playing and running HL2 on my computer (except for the stuttering) let alone connecting to Steam. I got another machine here that is on life support and needs a new motherboard that plays HL2 without much cajoling. I've NEVER had a problem connecting to Steam. I'm pretty sure the same holds true for the majority of HL2 buyers, its not that we're kissing Valve's ass or anything like that. HL2 simply works for us and works fine.

I crave more maps.

Will you make me one? I will give you hot sex in return!

I love all the people complaining of the boring "quake style" DM. What were you expecting? Do you even know what DM means? It means you, some guns, and some enemies, and the man with the most kills wins. That is the objective of DM - kill people more than they kill you.

Mr_Evil said:
I think some people that complain about HL2 and Steam are just being a pain in the ass for the sake of being a pain in the ass. I've not had a SINGLE problem playing and running HL2 on my computer (except for the stuttering) let alone connecting to Steam. I got another machine here that is on life support and needs a new motherboard that plays HL2 without much cajoling. I've NEVER had a problem connecting to Steam. I'm pretty sure the same holds true for the majority of HL2 buyers, its not that we're kissing Valve's ass or anything like that. HL2 simply works for us and works fine.
That's great and all, but it doesn't work for many others (myself included). The steam forums are home to many others. The real kicker is it is IMPOSSIBLE to get support for the pos software.

texuspete00 said:
It's still weird in this sense. A new release, which was never promised, comes out and you bitch? Weird. I understand you wanted it, but the day has come! It's like your b-day was forgotten by someone, they finally give you what you are entitled too, and you are not even happy for one second! ok ok... you paid for the game, but it's been clear this was not a part of what you were buying.

What if all the fixes you need come out? I understand you may still be pissed but your responses read funny. "Hey all bugs have been fixed..." What sounds more normal to you... "Stupid valve should have given me that already" (yeah the !!!!!!s would still flame you).. but even the sensible guys would be confused by "BullShit!" response. :confused:

To some of you other guys, if steam doesnt connect, close it and try again. I dont know I've had it hang three or four times total. So I just try again. I just read of others saying,"I waited 20 minutes...." I think you are just pissing yourself off. I used to wait a minute or two when it hangs... but thats never done shit. Rapid fire try again. The other 50 or so times I've logged in, it has been instantaneous. Anyone ever had luck with the sit and wait approach? Mine is certainly not the best solution but I think people are causing themselves unnecessary grief. If it can't check your password and let you in... it probably isnt a time issue. Seems more trying to get your spot on the server. While you can't get in, others are Dl'ing games at breakneck speeds. Whatever it is... before you throw your comp out the window... don't stare at the log-in screen. Stupid steam has hung on you.

Oh... and I click on a link about the map contest and it didnt use my mozilla default. Damn it valve I want my money back! You just cant have your game back.. noooooo! ;)
This game wasn't some free mod, released by an unknown group. It was a game 4 years in the making, made by a company filled with professionals. I paid $55 for this game. I have every right to bitch about something they should have included in the retail package.

This release is not a patch, it's part of the mulitplayer package. Patches are to fix what already exists.

I was already bitching about the failure to include standard multiplayer long before HL2 was released.

Met-AL said:
Why in the hell would you buy a car with square wheels? Stop with the damn car analogies.

HL2 from the start was going to have CS:S as it's sole multiplayer content. You bought it knowing that. Now they add HL2 DM and you bitch about it.

And for those that say they start steam and it hangs, give it a few minutes. It is downloading a new steam client. Yes it would have been nice to see a pop up window saying that instead of leaving us wondering has it crashed or what...

How many of you people having problems with steam and HL2 are running some wild ass tweaks on your system such as disabled services and Quack Viper style shit?

The stuttering problem...never had it. Steam not connecting...never had it. None of the people I know have those problems. How do you guys get these things to happen to you? Maybe instead of getting rid of just Steam and HL2, you guys should get rid of your PC's and by a Nintendo Gamecube. I hear anyone can get those to work.
Why the hell would you buy a game with no multiplayer?

Mr_Evil said:
Here's a question? Do you like live in 1990 or something? SERIOUSLY, why don't you have internet? Hell, you can get fuckin SBC DSL for a little more than AOL costs per month.

Yes, SBC is at every corner of the earth, covering every square inch of ground with the latest and greatest broadband services!

Or you could wake up and realize not everyone has broadband where they live. Yes, I know it's a foreign concept to you, but I telll you it's the truth.

valkyre said:
Why the hell would you buy a game with no multiplayer?
Oh I don't know...maybe cause of the great single player game and besides it had and still has multiplayer....CS:S and now DM.

valkyre said:
Yes, SBC is at every corner of the earth, covering every square inch of ground with the latest and greatest broadband services!

Or you could wake up and realize not everyone has broadband where they live. Yes, I know it's a foreign concept to you, but I telll you it's the truth.

aww...so you feel left out. No wonder your in here whining. Poor guy.

Hmm....I think the minimal requirments for the game included an internet connection. Since you don't have the minimum requirments to play the game, don't come here crying about it. Go get some damn internet.

Question

What are the system requirements for Half-Life 2?
Answer

Minimum System Configuration

* 1.2 GHz Processor
* 256MB RAM
* DirectX 7 capable graphics card
* Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
* Mouse
* Keyboard
* Internet Connection **
* CD or DVD rom drive (retail version only) *

Preferred System Configuration

* 2.4 GHz Processor
* 512MB RAM
* DirectX 9 capable graphics card
* Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
* Mouse
* Keyboard
* Internet Connection **
* CD or DVD rom drive (retail version only)
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cg...XJjaF90ZXh0PXN5c3RlbSByZXF1aXJlbWVudHM*&p_li=

valkyre said:

Yeah, you're right. I live 10 miles out of town. There is no DSL. There is no cable. the only thing available to me is dial-up, or satellite :eek: for $100 a month (and it sucks).

Some people think because they have broadband and no problems with the game then how could anyone else possibly have problems? Why, they must be some kind of dumb@ss if they have problems when I don't. Gee, I must be Mr. Wonderful or something!
Wow! I'm so l337, I pwn joo!

Judging from the number of "I hate Valve/Steam" threads and how many people are saying they are having problems with the game, well do ya think maybe it's just possible that there might be some problems?

Well you know what, you folks that have problems with the game and steam or don't have internet do not have to come into everythread that relates to any aspect of the game and crap on it with your damn problems. This thread started out about the DM. Not about how you can't get it without an internet connection.

Sarge said:
Judging from the number of "I hate Valve/Steam" threads and how many people are saying they are having problems with the game, well do ya think maybe it's just possible that there might be some problems?

oh problems with hardforum posters and their ability to handle their system? yes! :)

texuspete00 said:
Wow... I didnt realize you were being such a prick above my respectful post. This is a bit different bubb... what if you when you bought the car, it was showed to you with square wheels. Nevermind the fact the whole idea is ludicrous and a bad comparison anyways since the car wouldnt work AT ALL with wheels that don't spin. But are you shocked when you arrive and that is exactly what it has. Please... this has nothing to do with valve hate or love... unless you live under a rock, you knew it didnt have any other multi-player. You may have even been holding onto hope for the mod community to come through... and now Valve tries to make right... and there is no making right with you. Yes... the don't like it return it thing is overused here (We get pissed when sequels dont live up etc.)... but dude if there is no way you'll ever be happy with the game... yeah man move on.

Your car thing would make more sense if it was a feature... like a missing airconditioner that you wrongfully assumed it would have being a benz. Even though all documentation you looked at did not list it anywhere. You throw a tissy fit and they give you an airconditoner for free. You can't even leave the shop without cursing out the mechanics who just put it in. "Well sir here's your AC." "BULLSHIT!!! WA WA WA." If you are going to over reach like that... why not go for the full monte. Yes HL2 with no DM is like a Benz without a motor.
How was I being rude? By calling you a moron? I wasn't calling you a moron, I was calling Valve morons.

Do I have to repeat myself? I knew the game didn't come with multiplayer, that's not the point. I knew before, and I know now. That doesn't mean I have to stop bitching about it.

Met-AL said:
aww...so you feel left out. No wonder your in here whining. Poor guy.

Hmm....I think the minimal requirments for the game included an internet connection. Since you don't have the minimum requirments to play the game, don't come here crying about it. Go get some damn internet.

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=270&p_created=1100639436&p_sid=9EQT_Wrh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjQyJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXN5c3RlbSByZXF1aXJlbWVudHM*&p_li=
If I have no internet, how am I posting here? I think your IQ just dropped a few digits. Make that a few hundred digits.

WuTangClam said:
If I sold you a turd and called it gold, which one of us is the moron? Obviously you are, because you didn't bother doing the research to figure out that turd does not equal gold.

If "that doesn't fly with you" then why the hell did you buy HL2? You knew it was going to incomplete. The only person you should be angry at is yourself.
Where did I say I didn't know HL2 didn't ship with multiplayer? Please, point that out to me.

Met-AL said:
Oh I don't know...maybe cause of the great single player game and besides it had and still has multiplayer....CS:S and now DM.
CS:S was not HL2's mulitplayer, it was a seperate game that was incorporated into the engine. The game has nothing to do with HL2's story, characters, locations, weapons, or style.

DM did NOT ship with HL2.

valkyre said:
CS:S was not HL2's mulitplayer,
Yes it was.

valkyre said:
If I have no internet, how am I posting here? I think your IQ just dropped a few digits. Make that a few hundred digits.
I just figured you were over at your gay lovers house using his PC.

I think it's time to stop the personal insult slinging before someone loses an eye ;)

getting somewhat back on topic for a moment or two...

i saw the screens from the updated version of crossfire; and might i say that they look might fantastic.

however, one of my favorite HL-DM maps of all time was called Vertigo. It's small enough for two players, but big enough to easily accomodate up to about eight. just wonderful wonderful stuff. If you've never played it, email me and I'll email it to you (or post it on my web site).

however, does anyone know if there are any plans to update this map to full Source goodness? If not, I just might have to learn how to use Hammer enough to update it myself...

Strike 1: Many areas don't have access to broadband internet.

Strike 2: Areas that do have access to broadband internet might have ridiculous price-gouging due to lack of competition.

Strike 3: Don't assume a game works flawlessly for everyone just because it worked for you.

haha, i just updated and played without a problem, in game was a little jumpy though, but fun none the less. Shooting barrels out of the air, i even killed someone with a toilet!!!! lol, that was a blast, only think was i didnt' know how to type messages, guess i will look at the options tomorrow, looks good though

shaihulud said:
have not had this much fun since quake 1 and hl1 dm.

I too enjoyed the heck out of it tonight. 3 hours of DM and Team DM, killing people with not just guns....but furniture. We have reached the pinacle my friends. Killing with furniture and plumbing. I just hope some people run big fat dedicated servers that can also download custom maps fast too. SHould be sweet for a while.

valkyre said:
Where did I say I didn't know HL2 didn't ship with multiplayer? Please, point that out to me.

So you knew it was a piece of turd yet you bought it anyways? Why did you buy HL2 knowing full well that the game would not come with the multiplayer that you feel so strongly about?

WuTangClam said:
So you knew it was a piece of turd yet you bought it anyways? Why did you buy HL2 knowing full well that the game would not come with the multiplayer that you feel so strongly about?
I don't regret buying Half-Life 2. The single player experience was well worth it, and the future mods for it will more than make up for it. I attacked the principal of multiplayer. They should have included it as part of the core package like they did in HL1.

I like the DM. The gravity gun keeps it interesting. However, when are we getting more maps?

They looked like 2 levels just ripped from the single player, so surely they could just whip some more out quickly ?

I'd like to see some custom maps too.

arguing%20on%20the%20internet.med.jpg

Mr_Evil said:

You could be polite to me... or not. I am not complaining, I love the game. I was just wondering if Valve would ever release their patches (Multi player maps) and updates in exe form.

Mr. Evil,
You don't know that I might very well be in the middle of a home building project, or maybe I am in the middle of a relocation project, you just don't know. So please do not flame me about not having internet, it might just be out of my control.
Mr. Steve

mentok1982 said:
I crave more maps.

Will you make me one? I will give you hot sex in return!

HAH HAH, I"m laughing in my cube, thanks mentok 1982.

So on a related note, I'm coming into hell this morning and see a criplled cart with one wheel off it in front of the elevators and I'm thinking of my grav gun... :D

Back