Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB ATA/100 $70 AR

Heh, I was there tonight, and there were two guys stocking these things. One on a ladder, and the other handing him the HD's. He was putting them above the shelf, must have been several dozen. I thought to myself there would be a sale on these things tomorrow. :)

Not tryint to crap on your thread // disclaimer

I'm staying away from this one.
1 year warranty = sucks.
bonus/optional suckage = TAX + ATA 100 + NO NCQ + MAIL IN REBATE + ONLY 8MB BUFFER + DEATHSTAR OMEN

The really odd thing about that they have the 200gb Deskstar for $69 too. Why would you buy the 200gb when you can get the 250gb? Although CompUSA has the 1gb SanDisk memory cards for $70. I think I'm gonna go pick up one of those.

Hooligan said:
Not tryint to crap on your thread // disclaimer

I'm staying away from this one.
1 year warranty = sucks.
bonus/optional suckage = TAX + ATA 100 + NO NCQ + MAIL IN REBATE + ONLY 8MB BUFFER + DEATHSTAR OMEN

The longest lasting harddrive of the modern harddrives I have is a 75gb Deathstar. Still running today. So this would be a YMMV.......and the rest of the complaint's are subject to location, the limitations of the PATA drives in general, pretty standard part of these deals, and only the 16mb Maxtors are bigger so big whoop.

I've owned a Hitatchi Deskstar drive for the last 8 months. I haven't had the slightest hiccup from it. I think the whole Deskstar scare is well in the past. Several years in the past.

DriveEuro said:
I've owned a Hitatchi Deskstar drive for the last 8 months. I haven't had the slightest hiccup from it. I think the whole Deskstar scare is well in the past. Several years in the past.

Been a lot better since Hitachi took it over from IBM. Everyone I've owned recently has been fast and quiet (of course, every drive is quiet compared to a Raptor :) ).

Spectre said:
.and the rest of the complaint's are subject to location, the limitations of the PATA drives in general, pretty standard part of these deals, and only the 16mb Maxtors are bigger so big whoop.

- In-store pick up only. That means you pay tax.
- Still no NCQ

The killer for me's the warranty, though. Thanks for the deal, but I think for now I'll stick with the companies/drives that still offer 3 or 5 years.

Finger said:
The killer for me's the warranty, though. Thanks for the deal, but I think for now I'll stick with the companies/drives that still offer 3 or 5 years.

i guess your sticking with seagate ;)

Okay whatever you say hooligan. Did you get this drive?

I went and bought this today. Box says 3 years.

Completely off-topic now, I know, but some Western Digital drives still have a 3 year warranty as well.

I've heard that Hitachi completely redesigned the Deskstar line just in case any problems were left from IBM's end, even though IBM had already had the problem fixed in new drives for a while. Not sure if that's totally true. But I have to wonder, why the hell did Hitachi keep the Deskstar/Travelstar names going?

do we have to have the stupid deathstar debate everytime someone posts a Hitachi drive? it really is annoying. That was a brief period when the deskstars were made by IBM.

IDversusEGO said:
do we have to have the stupid deathstar debate everytime someone posts a Hitachi drive? it really is annoying. That was a brief period when the deskstars were made by IBM.
QFT

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

EnderW said:

2 things:

1.) WTF is QFT?
2.) I have a Deathstar from the days that deathstars were 'shiatty' that is still alive and kicking. Never does the click of death, Hasn't developed a bad sector yet. Although I think it would have been a good idea for Hitachi to drop/change the Deskstar name to distance itself from the Deathstar debacle.
</offtopic>

Damn, I wish I had the $$$ to get 5 of these drives. I want to be the 1st on my block with 1TB of usable space.

Hmm, that's strange, because I have three HDDs of this exact model (250GB 7K250 ATA100) and all of their warranties list that they expire in 2007, after checking their serial numbers online.

CKTurbo128 said:
Hmm, that's strange, because I have three HDDs of this exact model (250GB 7K250 ATA100) and all of their warranties list that they expire in 2007, after checking their serial numbers online.
It's a misprint.

Marvelous said:
I went and bought this today. Box says 3 years.

I would venture to guess, though I could be VERY wrong, that ChumpUSA offers a 1 year warranty on the drive. WD also offers 3 year warranty on the drive, the WD warranty starts, when the drive leaves the factory, if it has been sitting in the warehouse for the last 2 years, there is 1 year left on it. Works the same way with MAXTOR drives, that's why I don't buy them anymore, I would still buy a WD drive, good company, I've used several of their drives in the past, with little or no problem. I lucked out on an old 40GB MAXTOR drive, got one warranty exchange out of it... that was a few years ago, it is long dead now.

the Maxtor MaxLine Plus II drives carry a 5 year warranty

and on a related topic, I had a deathstar that DID bite the bullet, and I managed to sell the other one ASAP. I loved my Hitachi 19" CRT with 0.22mm and it was of the highest quality. So if they've managed to turn IBMs hard drive division around, that's great.

For dang sake. I just picked up the 200gig at Compusa to find this thread to learn they have a 250gig for the same price. Don't know how I freaking missed that!!! Maybe they ran out of stock and removed the tag.

And yes, the 200gig shows a 3 yeawr warranty so the 250gig would too.

I'll have to run in there and pick up 2 of the 250gigs if they are there.

EnderW said:
QFT

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.
I would be willign to bet that half the people that bitch about the deathstars have never even owned one. They just feel 1337 because they know the catchy name for them.

on topic, this is a good deal. good waranty and a local pick up. If I didn't need a new video card, I would grab one of these.

vbrtrmn said:
I would venture to guess, though I could be VERY wrong, that ChumpUSA offers a 1 year warranty on the drive. WD also offers 3 year warranty on the drive, the WD warranty starts, when the drive leaves the factory, if it has been sitting in the warehouse for the last 2 years, there is 1 year left on it. Works the same way with MAXTOR drives, that's why I don't buy them anymore, I would still buy a WD drive, good company, I've used several of their drives in the past, with little or no problem. I lucked out on an old 40GB MAXTOR drive, got one warranty exchange out of it... that was a few years ago, it is long dead now.
Except this drive is made by Hitachi :rolleyes:

IDversusEGO said:
I would be willign to bet that half the people that bitch about the deathstars have never even owned one. They just feel 1337 because they know the catchy name for them.
Exactly.

Hitachi makes great drives. I don't know why people are still stuck in 2001.

I have a 75 GB deathstar that does file sharing duties for low volume stuff in a server as we speak. Works like a charm after all these years. :cool:

Also, some of the confusion may be due to the fact that all manufacturers have been playing with warranty schemes. I used to buy WD's from Office Max for the three year warranty vs. the one year OEM warranty. Now the OEM's have the three year and my store drives all list one year on the box as of last month when I checked again. Not that my employee discount was that much, but some rebates were better than others. I just gave up and bought a Hitachi SATA 80 GB from the egg for $60 and called it good (3 yr warranty!). I think they have good drives and I cannot even hear the new one compared to the old PATA 40GB WD that was in there.

EnderW said:
It's a misprint.

Um, not according to the RMA form online and the response from Hitachi tech I recieved when I RMAed one of my drives several months ago:

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 8:47 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Support Request #423-380-221-0

Mr. XXXXX,

I appears as though I misspoke when I said your drive would have a 39 month warranty. The normal warranty would be 36 month instead of 39. However, since I told you it would be 39 months, Hitachi GST will honor this and your drive will be under warranty until 8/27/2007. Unfortunately, we will be unable to update this in our database that you have access to. That will still show as 4/7/2007. Our correspondence will be the proof that you have an additional period.

If you wish to keep a copy of this note for future reference, that would be fine, otherwise, the information will be in your case history.

I apologize for my error. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Kathy Melvin
Customer Satisfaction
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies
[email protected]
Fax: 507-322-2419

Last time I checked, 2007 is not 1 year ahead of 2004. Maybe the newer Hitachi 7K250 250GB HDDs have a 1 year warranty, but the ones I purchased last year all have three year warranties.

I believe that the 8mb cache drives come with the 3 year warranty, while the 2mb ones have 1 year warranty. At least that's what I've been lead to believe.

CKTurbo128 said:
Um, not according to the RMA form online and the response from Hitachi tech I recieved when I RMAed one of my drives several months ago:

Last time I checked, 2007 is not 1 year ahead of 2004. Maybe the newer Hitachi 7K250 250GB HDDs have a 1 year warranty, but the ones I purchased last year all have three year warranties.

Yes, I agree, the warranty is 3 years. The misprint I was referring to is the CompUSA site which had it listed as 1 year.

So how come when I do a manual search at compusa's website it only lists a 250gb at $200 with no rebates, yet if I follow the link on this thread there is one with rebates.

There are some instock at my local store, according to the site.

I wonder if they forgot to to mark that drive as on sale, which is why I missed it. They even had the 200gb labeled wrong instore with a $70 rebate on the shelf when the register printed an $80 rebate.

Oh, I wanted to remind some people that these rebates a limited one per household. So that might make the 200gb deal a plus if you wanted to get two drives and not hassle with using another household and name.

At my CompUSA (picked up two today) they had them on the top shelf, with no price tag in front. The sales person said it was to slow down the selling.

Me and my friend purchased four (two in cash, one on each of our credit cards, four transactions).

ucanbfuzzy said:
At my CompUSA (picked up two today) they had them on the top shelf, with no price tag in front. The sales person said it was to slow down the selling.

Me and my friend purchased four (two in cash, one on each of our credit cards, four transactions).

So how do you plan to do the rebates with one per name/familyaddress?

I just picked up one of the 250gigs and kept the 200gig I purchased the day before so I wouldn't have to do some address changing trick for more than one of the same rebate.

Today they had no more 200gigs, not even an empty spot with the price tag. They had the 250gigs at eye level, priced at $149 and no mention of the rebate, though it does print out at the register. Though, when they did have the 200gb ones, they had the rebate shown on the price tag, so why not the 250gb now that the 200gb is gone?

They also had a 400gb Seagate for $299 yesterday, now it's $349 for some reason.

Also, just to comment, look carefully. I noticed two Hitachis with the red sticker torn like it was opened, and only one was shrinkwrapped, the other didn't. And those were just the ones in the front. What begs to be asked is why they were up there like they were new with no discount, are they trying to pocket all that 15% restocking fee?

TimothyB said:
Also, just to comment, look carefully. I noticed two Hitachis with the red sticker torn like it was opened, and only one was shrinkwrapped, the other didn't. And those were just the ones in the front. What begs to be asked is why they were up there like they were new with no discount, are they trying to pocket all that 15% restocking fee?

I picked up 2 today also. They weren't on the shelf, but there was a stack of 4 just behind the counter so I grabbed a couple. The red tape on one looked torn, so I put it back and got a different one.

I've got two of the SATA versions in a RAID0, damned nice drives so far. Not the Deathstar of old anymore.

Back