Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000, 4TB vs Western Digital Red WD30EFRX, 3TB

Alexke

n00b
Hi Guys,

As a storage freak I would like to have your opinion on 2 drives.

Western Digital Red WD30EFRX, 3TB Euro/GB : 0,043
Hitachi Deskstar 5K4000 4TB Euro/GB : 0,041

its going to be used with my Adaptec 31205 but not in a raid mode (yet) and will be primarily be used for backups if a drive fails.

Im not looking for a fast drive at all , all high capacity drives are fast enough imho. I never touched a Hitachi drive EVER.

Currently using Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001, 3TB and I don't trust these suckers tbh... I took the dive with Seagate because of the awesome price . but...
One drive isn't recognized sometimes , but the smart and HD tune show that the drive is perfect.

In all honesty I had various issues with the Green drives from WD as well but it all happened within 2 weeks of purchase

Should I take the plunge with Hatachi or take the WD ?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Alex

If you need as much terabytes as possible (limited drive bays) then go with hitachi. Otherwise I have 15 red's and can't be more pleased. They're fast, silent, cool (don't get pass 38° even with no cooling) and the most power efficient drive ever (at this capacity at least). 1tb platters are simply better than the old 800gb tech.

Also if you ever intend to go RAID, get the Reds, Adaptecs seem to be even more picky than arecas about TLER.

The ST3000DM001's are fine. So is Hitacgi. What I would phase out is that legacy Adaptrec card and buy an Areca.

Or one of the new adaptec's, the series 7's are pretty impressive at least from a stats point of view

No other drive will be as cool as WD RED especially seagates. They run hot.

No other drive will be as cool as WD RED especially seagates. They run hot.

I don't think thats accurate. Which models of Seagate are you referring to? The new 1TB/platter form factor are just about as cool as my 5900RPM Hitachi's.

The 5K4000 draws 6W and the 7200.14 4TB 7,5W so there should be a difference. Although, you should always have some airflow over a drive, so 1,5W will not really matter.

Depends if you want the extra capacity, really.
Hitachi was acquired by WD not too long ago as well, so they would become increasingly synonymous.

I have 5 drives in my 7 drive array that are Hitachi, they've given me less problems than other ones.

Also if you ever intend to go RAID, get the Reds, Adaptecs seem to be even more picky than arecas about TLER.

running nothing but Hitachi drives in my storage rigs at work with several Adaptec cards

Hitachi doesn't / didn't cripple their drives like Seagate and WD always did with their other lines.

I'm testing a 71605Q right now with some spare drives I had laying around, 2 WD reds and 2 Hitachi 5k's, and just after it got done with the RAID-5 initial build, it kicked out one of the hitachi's and I had to pull it and reseat it and let it do the build again, hadn't seen any TLER related problems on the areca with the hitachis.

Back