Hitachi 3TB externals.... available at a few places for 169.00

Noetic

[H]ard|Gawd
Here is one place.

http://www.+++++++/hitachi/pe/HIT_HXSDNB3001

I purchased one (NewEgg sale). Cracked it open (after making certain is was not DOA), inside the case is a 64MB cache, 6.0Gb/sec SATA,7200rpm Hitachi drive.

[Trying to repair link...... for some reason, it will not save as the jr dot com link.]

PLEASE NOTE: read alamone post below.

Last edited:
Its a good deal but I wish they had eSata/USB3, it takes ages to transfer anything over Usb 2.

I bought them for the sole purpose of ripping out the drives and installing them internally. Theyre cheaper than buying the internal drives straight-up

Its a good deal but I wish they had eSata/USB3, it takes ages to transfer anything over Usb 2.

WD and Seagate make 3TB externals as well (with USB3, if I am not mistaken), and their prices are comparable. I noted the Hitachi because faster drive.

I bought them for the sole purpose of ripping out the drives and installing them internally. Theyre cheaper than buying the internal drives straight-up

I wouldn't mind doing that but IDK how Hitachi would react to an RMA for an external drive that has been removed from the case.

You could keep the case and put it back together if an RMA is needed but IDK how closely they would inspect the case for broken "seals".

Both OEM and this external have 3 yr warrantys but for the 10.00 difference I'd buy the OEM unit......unless I was buying 100. :)

Just FYI, the proper internal version (retail) is just $10 more at J&R ($180).
This way, you don't void the warranty by breaking open the enclosure.

Just FYI, the proper internal version (retail) is just $10 more at J&R ($180).
This way, you don't void the warranty by breaking open the enclosure.

This is the first I am seeing the 3TB drives under 200.

From what I found and according to others, the encapsulated drives have the 64Mb cache vs. the 32Mb internal.

You do make an excellent point regarding the warranty.

By and by, thank you for your tests on this drive.

Last edited:
I'll buy when it drops to $120. That is about the same price per GB as current 2TB (when on sale). Hopefully, less than 6 months from now

The internal should have 64MB cache as well, at least according to the Hitachi spec sheet for the 7K3000. I can verify on the label when I get home.

I'll buy when it drops to $120. That is about the same price per GB as current 2TB (when on sale). Hopefully, less than 6 months from now

only way 3tb will go down is if more companies release 3tb. more and more 3tb flooding market = competition

I think that's just a mislisting by JR. If you zoom into the photo of the product, you can see it clearly says 64MB on the packaging.

Back