Nov 21 Bronze for Uncovering Genome Mysteries
Nov 22 Silver for UGM
Nov 24 Gold for UGM
Nov 25 Diamond 5 for Mapping Cancer Markers
Nov 29 Ruby for UGM
Dec 01 Silver for Clean Energy Project - Phase 2
Dec 01 Diamond 5 for FightAIDS@Home
Dec 02 Diamond 10 for Mapping Cancer Markers

If I understand this correctly, for a while I was contributing over one teraflop of compute power to WCG. I remember back in the early 90's when a gigaflop was amazing; couldn't even begin to imagine one trillion operations per second then. :eek:

792716%201.04TFlops.gif

Been fun! :)

3 years run time to MCM1

Congrats guys on the recent achievements. With this months challenge going on, I'm sure there are a lot more earning badges.

Man sure is a difference between my sr2 with2x L5639 6core cpus @3.2Ghz and my single Opteron 6234es @3 Ghz the SR2 chew through projects while my Opteron crawls not even sure if I should bother with the Opteron es chip. both are 12 cores , mind you my Opteron is using 8 Gbs ram compared to the Xeons 12 could this make a huge difference?

Shadowmeph, I don't know how much slower you are seeing on your Opterons. There are several things that can factor. The work units choices you have selected, OS choice, HDD, RAM, etc... can all very well make a difference.

Since they are all single threaded apps, they should be somewhat close. It just depends on if they were optimized which I doubt they were to be honest. How much of a run time difference are you seeing? CEP2 will want up to 1GB of RAM per work units while everything else is much lower. So, depending on how you set your preferences and whether you run more than one CEP2 at a time can certainly make a difference.

Linux can be up to 60% faster than Windows on VINA apps.

Heat can be an issue as AMD's run hotter. Maybe something is throttling... I don't know. I don't have any details to your situation other than total amount of RAM and the two Chip types.

I would also encourage this to go in the normal WCG thread or possibly a separate thread as this is for awards/recognition/accomplishments.

Emerald Uncovering Genome Mysteries - time to mix in some Ebola!

13 years MCM; seems this is the bulk of my WUs lately!

14 years MCM
7 years FAAH
and a whopping.... one day from nine WUs on OET! :p

16 MCM
8 FAH
2.5 days OET :(

*edit* Funny you mention that, prometheum, looks like I hit 50,000 results returned as of today too. :p

Last edited:
In the last day or two...
UGM: Emerald
TCEP2: Gold
FA@H: 10 Years

OET bronze
oet1_0.jpg

Edit: This also makes an even 20 badges for WCG.

Last edited:
which sub project?

Mapping Cancer Markers=Silver
Fightaids@home=Bronze

Statistics By Project
Statistics Last Updated: 1/3/15 12:06:02 (UTC) [7 hour(s) ago]

Project Points
Generated Results Returned Total Run Time (y:d:h:m:s) Badges Earned
Outsmart Ebola Together 713 2 0:000:04:31:04
Uncovering Genome Mysteries 29,536 48 0:005:07:14:23
Mapping Cancer Markers 391,794 559 0:070:15:01:31
The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 30,637 29 0:004:20:02:27
FightAIDS@Home 152,562 375 0:023:05:13:34

Last edited:
The team hit 1500 years of CPU run time according to the team stats at WCG. Congrats everyone that helped make this milestone.

Since December 21st:

20 Years Mapping Cancer Markers
mcm1_8.jpg

1 Year (Emerald) The Clean Energy Project P2 (this one seemed to take forever)
cep2_4.jpg

20 Years FightAIDS @ Home
faah_8.jpg

I remain bitterly disappointed with OET. Since the subproject was released I've been able to return a whopping ten days of work.

Think I'm done with WCG for now; but have a feeling I'll be taking a break from BOINC for a while. Most of the idle hardware I've had access to is now heading to their new homes. :( On the bright side, I get new hardware pretty often. :)

CEP2 takes a while because unless you change your preferences from the WCG site, you only download 1 per computer at a time. They are very IO intensive. Pretty impressive numbers fastgeek. Hope you make it back soon.

I actually set the limit to 10 CEP2 units per box in order to reach 1YR ASAP. ;) Even then it took "a while" to achieve. Maybe I was just spoiled by how fast each year would rack up with MCM!

I actually set the limit to 10 CEP2 units per box in order to reach 1YR ASAP. ;) Even then it took "a while" to achieve. Maybe I was just spoiled by how fast each year would rack up with MCM!

I don't know the HDD setups, so keep an eye on the IO's. Too many can actually slow over all production down. SSD's don't tend to suffer much. I think I had up to 8 at one time going on my i7 but some boxes don't like running even 1.

Congrats to all on the recent milestones! Thanks for contributing to the great WCG projects...

I recently received an Emerald in UGM. :)

I don't know the HDD setups, so keep an eye on the IO's. Too many can actually slow over all production down. SSD's don't tend to suffer much. I think I had up to 8 at one time going on my i7 but some boxes don't like running even 1.

Well this was on a R820 with SSDs... so chances are the disk I/O was fine. Think each WU took around a day though? Wasn't terribly fast. The CPUs we use aren't very high frequency; either 8C/2.4GHz (SB) or 10C/2.2GHz (IB). Maybe someday I'll experiment and enable nothing but CEP2 with unlimited WUs and we'll see what happens. ;)

Back