HIS HD3870 Graphics Corruption

I hope these work? I just ordered one 3870 tonight through newegg.:eek:

If you see any type of graphics corruption when you get it, report back.

I know what bad video RAM looks like....what I have with the HD 3870 doesn't look like it.

Actually, I had a similar problem with both an 8800 GT and an 8800 GTS.

If you set AA in the nvidia control panel while playing Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and turn on your flashlight, there is all kinds of corruption at the top of the screen when you look down. If you set the control panel to "application settings" and enable AA through the game, I wouldn't get the corruption but, of course, I had the AA.

When it first happened with the 8800 GTS I had, I thought it might have just been the card.

But when I reproduced the effect with an 8800 GT, I figured it had to be the drivers.

But that was when I had another power supply. Now I have a 550W Corsair that JonnyGuru says is rock solid. I'll be getting another 8800 GT on Monday...we'll see if I can reproduce it again.

If it's one specific game when you do one specific thing by forcing one specific setting outside of the game then yes, it very likely is the drivers.

When it's 'triangles jutting off of characters' in multiple games, it's the card.

Well I have a 650 watt psu and I only play BF2 and not very well. But I have fun.

But I am also driving 9 hd's so I might have to use my 900 watt psu. hope not tho.

If it's one specific game when you do one specific thing by forcing one specific setting outside of the game then yes, it very likely is the drivers.

When it's 'triangles jutting off of characters' in multiple games, it's the card.

Well, see that's the thing in my case. I only get the glitches in Battlefield 2 and 2142, both having basically the same engine.

When I play Crysis or Bioshock or anything from Valve, I get no artifacts. That's what makes me think it might be the drivers.

Like I said, I hope I do have bad video RAM. I would like to keep the 3870 replacement and sell the other 8800 GT I have coming in.

Well I have a 650 watt psu and I only play BF2 and not very well. But I have fun.

But I am also driving 9 hd's so I might have to use my 900 watt psu. hope not tho.

That's what makes me think it wasn't my power supply. I only have one IDE hard drive and one DVD burner. Everything else is CPU, motherboard and video card. I should only be pulling 400 watts max.

With 9 HD's.....damn I bet you'll need that 900w PSU

Well, see that's the thing in my case. I only get the glitches in Battlefield 2 and 2142, both having basically the same engine.

When I play Crysis or Bioshock or anything from Valve, I get no artifacts. That's what makes me think it might be the drivers.

Like I said, I hope I do have bad video RAM. I would like to keep the 3870 replacement and sell the other 8800 GT I have coming in.

If it only happens when you force AA on in the nvidia control panel and turn on the flashlight and look down.. well, don't do that! :p

Ok. I turned off AA in TF2 in the options menue and no artifacts. I forced AA through CCC and everything is fine. Drivers or not drivers? Anyone else play TF2 with the 3870?

If any of you have a dual monitor setup, what are you GPU temperatures like in ATI Overdrive?

My Sapphire 3870 WILL get to 90C while gaming and my cooling is pretty good with system temperatures never breaking 31C and a 6400+ that won't budge over 40-45C on full loads in Orthos or gaming for hours.

I haven't seen any artifacts in the games I play (mostly Steam based) but also Guild Wars and demo titles but I wouldn't doubt there being a temperature problem causing the artifacts.

I will warn you that by minimizing the screen right after gaming will automatically drop your temperatures like a brick to 70C. I've tried it. So everyone who thinks there temps are pretty cool and don't have the dual monitors really have no idea how hot the cards will go. I'm about to use Rivatuner to pump up the fan speeds. A little noise is better than messing up a card eventually. Also thinking about the Tt duo orbs.

Could just be a BF glitch. Always are glitches in games with specific cards. But try the fans and temperature troubleshooting to see if that may help.

Ok. I turned off AA in TF2 in the options menue and no artifacts. I forced AA through CCC and everything is fine. Drivers or not drivers? Anyone else play TF2 with the 3870?

See I was guessing it was something with the AA. Supposedly, the HD3870 has trouble with AA.

I've been playing TF2 with the 3870 and no artifacts at all. All my settings are done through the Steam options menu and AA is on.

Well I shipped my card back today. Hopefully they don't have one in stock and they give me credit so I can get an 8800 or something. Does anybody know what the next good card is going to be or what I should get?

I also shipped mine back today, feeny. It looks like the Sapphires will be back in stock on 12/10, right around the time my RMA should be processed. I don't mind receiving a replacement. I just hope the problem was with that individual card and not a driver problem or something else.

Yeah I just hope they have them in stock. I might order another one if they come in stock before they receive my RMA. I may end up with two! :cool:

I was playing it this morning on my Club 3D 3870 with everything up full no prob's! Shame I can't get CCC to run, installs fine then refuses to start...:mad:

Well, if youve played Crysis with an HD 3870 without the hotfix drivers, you'll see plenty of artifacts. Apply the hotfix drivers and they disappear.

I played it last night fine with the normal 7.11's, unless ATI has added the hotfix to them :)

I was playing it this morning on my Club 3D 3870 with everything up full no prob's! Shame I can't get CCC to run, installs fine then refuses to start...:mad:

Go to add/remove program, click on the CCC and repair :D I have this problem sometimes.

My only options are 7.10 or 7.11 right?
dont forget the crysis hotfix driver :p
check you temps, corruptions can be that its to hot or something
i dont have these problems, i have Club3D 3870 512MB GDDR4
so it might be some valve issue if nvidia users has problems to

Well my two HD3870s are on their way. We will see if the corruption was from a bad card real soon.

Well I got my 3870 and installed it and it works with no problems on a 28" screen. Not real fast tho. About the same speed @ 1920 X 1200 as my x1950 Pro. Oh well.:rolleyes: This is in Vista Ultimate 64

Well I got my 3870 and installed it and it works with no problems on a 28" screen. Not real fast tho. About the same speed @ 1920 X 1200 as my x1950 Pro. Oh well.:rolleyes: This is in Vista Ultimate 64

I used to own an x1950 Pro. The difference between this card and an x1950 pro is night and day.

Unless you wanna get more specific exactly how it's not faster....that's a pretty bold statement.

I tried running Crysis with Crossfire enabled with 2x 3870s, get all kinds of weird artifacts. Like its rendering half and half at different on the screen. It's pretty jerky in high action scenes on medium @ 1440x900. What to do :( I have 4 3870s. Should i try it with Crossfire disabled?

newbie question. i have a phenom 9500 , 4gb geil (2x2gb), vista64 with a msi k9a2 and currently only 2 3870s connected. Vista only sees 3gb of my ram? Amd overdrive and my bios report 4gb. :\ Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure you need the 64 bit version of xp/vista to have the os utilize more than 3.0gb of ram.

Holy crap d00d. What are the specs of that thing? Thats your server right?

I'm pretty sure you need the 64 bit version of xp/vista to have the os utilize more than 3.0gb of ram.

Holy crap d00d. What are the specs of that thing? Thats your server right?

ya its 64bit vista ultimate ;s

I tried running Crysis with Crossfire enabled with 2x 3870s, get all kinds of weird artifacts. Like its rendering half and half at different on the screen. It's pretty jerky in high action scenes on medium @ 1440x900. What to do :( I have 4 3870s. Should i try it with Crossfire disabled?

newbie question. i have a phenom 9500 , 4gb geil (2x2gb), vista64 with a msi k9a2 and currently only 2 3870s connected. Vista only sees 3gb of my ram? Amd overdrive and my bios report 4gb. :\ Is this normal?

I had some issues with the Crysis demo as well (though admittedly not in Crossfire). Some of them went away when I tried the Crysis Hotfix Drivers (http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=30533) but not all.

No that is my workstation(game computer). 2-3.0 ghz zeon's 8-hds in a raid array.

The only slowness is in the jerky graphics in BF2 and that is not a high demand program?

Wish it would be smoother.

I just might put a 8800GTS 512 in here and put this in my other game computer where I can run two 3870's in crossfire, that might help out both computers then.

I do not run tests on cards I just know how they play in games and how they feel slo or not. Jerky or people show up from no where.

Well I got my Saphirre HD3870 last night. It was like night and day from the HIS brand. Way way better. No artifacts either. Woot! :)

^ Yah, it was prolly a broken/defecting card... hopefully my HD3850 (in RMA) is too. :confused:

Just got my RMA Sapphire HD 3870....Still getting those little blips of artifacts in BF2. I really don't know what's causing it.

It doesn't happen with an 8800 GT. I have a great power supply....tried different drivers, different OS- everything I could think of.

It's a shame. I liked this card. It's actually a bit faster than an 8800 GT in Crysis on Medium settings. (Not on High setttings.)

Ahh, well. Guess i'll be switching back to an 8800 GT. If I didn't like my occasional BF2 pwnage, I would keep this puppy in a second.

Back