HighPoint RocketRAID 2760 | 24port SATA/SAS

terayon1515

Weaksauce
Has anyone had any experience with one of these cards?

Thought I would open a thread for this product as its got 6 x SFF-8087 mini-SAS ports and is priced very nicely ($700) for a card of its size, it's only RAID5 capable, which is the only drawback I see here:

RocketRAID 2760 Newegg US Link
RocketRAID 2760 Newegg Canadian Link

I recently had my Dell PERC 5/i fail, and am looking to find a replacement card that will suit me for years to come - hence the large port count HBA I bring before you today.

Anyone have any thoughts on these newer Highpoint cards? I've had RocketRAID cards that have lasted years and never given me any trouble. Would love to get some other perspectives though :)

No raid6 means I would never use it but holy crap.... A PCI-E 2.0 x16? I dont think I have ever seen a x16 raid controller and its even PCI-E 2.0. I wonder what that sucker bottlenecks at in raid0!

Edit: Just to add I see it uses the marvel chipset that areca was originally going to use but didn't due to problems.

Last edited:
Totally, its a bit of a trend setter. I was surprised we didn't have any threads on this gigantic card already.

Here is a decent review of the card from TweakTown

Given that it uses that specific Marvel chipset would you put your chips against throwing down the cash for one? (I don't know much as to why Areca chose against using it)
I have a 4020 as well, and I hate that I'm using three different RAID HBA's to use all of those bays, losing my PERC 5/i takes me down 8pegs, I've retired my WHS v1 system already and I'm picking up at least five 2TB drives today to begin migrating data on Intel fakeRAID, getting ready for the purchase of a HBA with at least 16 SATA/SAS ports, just want to know if I should start setting my scope on something different.

I've never spent more than $400 on a RAID card, I love all the high end stuff, I would wish for an Areca for Christmas, but well... that's huge dollars. I'm almost *prepared to throw anything on my Visa* to be done with all these kludge's (whether it be a lower end Areca card with few ports & an HP SAS expander, or something hugely great) - whatever you geniuses have in mind!

I'm open to all ideas and prospects! I love all you hardcore data storage guys!
Thanks for the reply houkouonchi!, I have massive respect for your setup, and all of your ideas!

Bit pricey for something that doesn't do hardware RAID. I can't see myself buying one, but I guess it does have its uses.

What OS? Their 2000 series is getting pretty old with no Linux updates in almost 2 years.

Thanks guys! - I would need it for archive (nearline) storage. Low demand for fast writes, and it only has to do 25-40MB/s reads.

I just want something safe and secure, and something I can throw almost all of my disks on for my Norco 4020. The port-count seems to justify the price in this case, either this -or- a smaller Hardware-XOR card with a $350+ HP SAS Expander. Which would end up being more after taxes... :)

Back