“Highly Sophisticated” Burglars Hit Best Buy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thieves rappelled into a Best Buy store through the roof, avoided cameras, motion sensors and alarms…just to steal a bunch of laptops. Sheesh, with all the effort these guys put into the heist, you’d think they were stealing diamonds or something.

"High level of sophistication," said Detective James Ryan, a police department spokesman. "They never set off any motion sensors. They never touched the floor. They rappelled in and rappelled out."

That is completely awesome, although it seems like they should have stolen a bit more for all their trouble. :confused:

Wow, that's pretty good planning. I wonder if they will check the security camera's and look for the same people who came through and cased the place before doing it. They had to be in there a few times to get the placement and everything perfect.

This happens a lot more than you would think. Back when I worked at best buy some dudes did the same thing to my store and I can recall hearing about a couple of other stores that were hit with the roof entry trick. I've always wondered how they got up to the roof to begin with.

I guess the producer's of Chuck are striving for reality show now.

They didn’t appear on store security cameras. They cut a hole in the roof and came in at a spot where the cameras were obscured by advertising banners.

some 2-bit manager is about to get fired!:eek:

Im not sure how far they'll get. Apple keeps track of all the S/N's and MAC as far as I've been told. I get subpoena requests all the time for stolen laptops people have have tried to get online with.

Still super ninja impressive.

That is completely awesome, although it seems like they should have stolen a bit more for all their trouble. :confused:

I'd rather get away with 20 laptops than risk getting caught taking 50. Not enough criminals play it safe these days.

They must have had Ving Rhames there telling them when there were toast... only explanation to how they were able to pull it off.

I worked for a retail company bout 10 years ago. One store had guys cut a hole in the roof, droped into the ceiling and cut the security system. Then proceeded to take a bunch of stuff, cut the safe out that was bolted to the floor and took it out through the hole in the roof.

How they managed that i dont' know lol

Im not sure how far they'll get. Apple keeps track of all the S/N's and MAC as far as I've been told. I get subpoena requests all the time for stolen laptops people have have tried to get online with.

Still super ninja impressive.

That's the buyer's problem, not the seller's.

well now they have to sell all those laptops at a price lower than retail, plus avoid getting caught while selling them, plus split the $ up with how many where involved... crime didnt fit the bill

They will be sad when they find out all the notebooks have been geek squad optimized. Upcoming news: "Sophisticated burglars return crappy optimized laptop computers..." :)

"They never set off any motion sensors. They never touched the floor. They rappelled in and rappelled out."
They rappelled out? Now that's fucking talent or the Best Buy was up on stilts. :p

Stolen Mac products? Who cares? But I'm sure one of the burglars had the mission impossible theme song playing on their iPod while they were dropping in.

They will be sad when they find out all the notebooks have been geek squad optimized. Upcoming news: "Sophisticated burglars return crappy optimized laptop computers..." :)

Don't forget to steal the extended warranty.

They rappelled out? Now that's fucking talent or the Best Buy was up on stilts. :p
That was my reaction as well :)

I'm impressed with what they did. What would be better? If they did it without leaving any (immediately noticeable) traces, and came back a week later and stole the next batch.

...hey, I guess that would be one way to avoid the "optimization" service--steal the laptops before Geek Squad get their hands on them.

To funny they have cameras and motion detectors all over "Inside the store" but I guess Best Buy was to cheep to install even a single one outside surveylance to have foiled this entire plan up front - lol

Least they only stole MAC BOOKS, so no real damage done.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I think this also happened to Bestbuy, maybe 2 years ago I believe.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I think this also happened to Bestbuy, maybe 2 years ago I believe.

Couldn't edit my post, but here it is.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/22/thieves-rob-best-buy-blind/

"A diabolical ring of super-thieves has been terrorizing the good people of Tulsa, OK., by conducting elaborate burglaries of stores like Best Buy and Office Depot. In their most recent exploit, the robbers cut two holes in the roof of a Best Buy, rappelled into the store, disabled the alarm system, and then stole more than 40 laptops, a number of plasma TVs and the store's safe. A local crime reporter claims they "leave behind no fingerprints, no witnesses and no surveillance tapes". They also reportedly have super-human strength, psionic powers, and can all fly at nearly supersonic speeds."

Article is miss named should read -

"How to Steal a Mac Book Pro"
Repell into any Best Buy, grab what you want, climb back up, jump off roof and be gone.

Since Best Buy only spent 10's of thousands of dollars on "IN-Store" security, to bad they were so cheap and forgot to put camera "Outside" as welll

Article is miss named should read -

"How to Steal a Mac Book Pro"
Repell into any Best Buy, grab what you want, climb back up, jump off roof and be gone.

Since Best Buy only spent 10's of thousands of dollars on "IN-Store" security, to bad they were so cheap and forgot to put camera "Outside" as welll

Kind of funny actually. A $100 net cam would have solved this caper by now... :D

Not the first time this has been done. The motion detection sensors in the stores don't reach the topstock shelves, so anything up there is free game to anyone who knows that. Not surprised they haven't learned their lesson from the first incident or haven't rolled out better security.

First incident I heard of with this I think was a store in Nevada, probably in or near Vegas. Guys cut a hole through the top, landed on top of the laptop cage, wire-cut their way into it and took everything right out and left.

Also, not all of the cameras can turn 360 degrees, at least that was the case at the store I worked at, nor are there enough to get everything from every angle.

More reason I'm glad I left that company. Security/LP at Best Buy is and always will be a joke with the way they operate things.

LOL, this happened to the Best Buy I worked at too back in '95. What sucked though, is that they suspected the employees & ended up firing 50% of the current employees (including me) under suspicion. Later, they found that upper management was actually doing larger theft than the thieves were. Needless to say, I don't shop there anymore.

Back