Highest voltage for Opteron 165

Cabn12

Limp Gawd
I ordered an Opteron 165 from Monarch (dont get me started on how much I think they suck. I ordered it two weeks ago and had to e-mail them twice to get a status) anyways I see that some people are getting pretty outragous overclocks. I was wondering what the highest voltage you can safely use before its dangerous to the processor and what the safe temps are. I have a XP-120 for a HSF.

I'd say 1.5-1.55V on air or so. Most motherboards won't let you go past that anyway. Just make sure you're checking your temps when using that much voltage.

I'm really conservative about voltages, which is why I prefer using TCCD RAM instead of those voltage-hungry Winbond chips. I say 1.5V is the real safe limit, but people argue that as long as your temperatures are under control, you can go as high as you want. I think that's stupid. 1.5V is my common-sense upper limit.

I'm hoping to get at least 9 X 275. I have a 3500+ now running at 11 X 220 and I don't want to take a step back on single core apps. I know the 1MB L2 cache will definatley help too.

If I go any higher than my sig, temps get real hot real fast. Most 165 are rated with a 49c max Tcase, so it seems they need to run cool. I would just make sure your full load temps are right at or lower than that 49c.

depends how well you can cool it... i had no problems running my x2 3800+ at 1.6v, but i water cool, so i'm much more comfortable doing such things... not to mention i've been doing this since my p133, so breaking things is nothing new to me :p

At 1.48v and 2600MHz, my 165 loads at about 43C with an XP90C. I would say up to 1.6v would be safe, though it wont gain you much over 1.525v.

wadec22 said:
If I go any higher than my sig, temps get real hot real fast. Most 165 are rated with a 49c max Tcase, so it seems they need to run cool. I would just make sure your full load temps are right at or lower than that 49c
What exactly does "max Tcase" mean? And where can you find specs on the max temp on an 165 Opteron?

no one knows if max tcase has anything to do with overclockability or not... i wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Elysian said:
no one knows if max tcase has anything to do with overclockability or not... i wouldn't put too much faith in it.

I would disagree. I believe it is an excellent gauge of how close to spec you are running your proc. I don't think it necessarily dictates how well your chip will oc, I think it tells you how safe you are running your chip at certain temperatures. If you do some reading around here, dfi-street, and xtremesystems, you will find a lot of people with the same line of thinking. I think it serves as a very general guide, nothing absolute, but a little guidance is better than none. Again, all just my opinion. As far as finding the Tcase for your proc, search this particular forum. Eclipse has one posted with a link to the latest version of the program.

Bona Fide said:
I'm really conservative about voltages, which is why I prefer using TCCD RAM instead of those voltage-hungry Winbond chips. I say 1.5V is the real safe limit, but people argue that as long as your temperatures are under control, you can go as high as you want. I think that's stupid. 1.5V is my common-sense upper limit.

and what are you basing you common sense on ? I hope theres something factual there, or that really may be called more of an opinion.

Honestly this is a question no one but AMD would truly be able to answer. Different processors will respond to voltage differently. 1.7v may kill one chip and another may run fine. its a crap shoot. The only voltage gauranteed not to kill your processor is stock. Does that mean you shouldnt raise the voltage? no its all a gamble, I run my 3200+ at 1.65 on water with no problems. I ran my previous 3000+ on 1.6v on stock cooling and still came under 50c.
Temps do matter, so the lower your temps the better your cpu will likely respond to voltage increases.

My idle temps at 1.525 with a mirror lapped thermaltake big thyphoon and a Top motor 120cfm 120mm fan are 31c with the side panel on and 30c with it off.. Full load under prime is 45 with the side panel on and 42 with the side panel off. Thats running stable 3ghz. 300x10. I havnt cut a blow hole for the cpu fan in the side of the case yet which is why Im cooler with the side panel off (the friggin cooler is soo big it sits about 2 inches from my door) and I intend on adding at least 3 more fans to my system. Im running a coolermaster Atc-710 case with 2 silverstone triblade 80mm 80cfm fans exaust fans and 1 for intake. I still need to pickup one more but it will have to be a thermaltake smartfan II cuzz a 80x25mm is the only one that will fit in the fourth spot. Then another 120mm in the door above the cpu cool, and another 120 up top for a blow hole.

Regardless how cool you keep the chip you can’t stop electro migration. Even the guys with multi level phase cook chips.

As a rule none of us keep chips long enough to have problems but over the years I have seen many over clocked chips used in the Folding At Home project as well as other DC projects just give up the ghost even though they were kept well within temp spec.

Admittedly these chips ran 24/7 at full load for years in most cases, but eventually they gave up the ghost long before their time.

In any case it’s your chip and like everyone else you pays your money and takes your chances. ;)

BillR said:
Regardless how cool you keep the chip you can’t stop electro migration. Even the guys with multi level phase cook chips.
yup. this is why i rarely bring my opteron 146 over 1.5v, even though i'm on water, and i rarely see over 40c :p

also, make sure the Vdimm isn't high with a low vcore.

I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I have a related question and didn't feel like starting another thread.

I'm a bit torn between pickup up the 165 or the 170. I have a top-end water setup (Storm G5, ThermoChill 120.3, Laing D5) and was looking for a respectable 2.6/2.7 GHz. Anyone here think I should grab the better binned 170 just in case, or would you say the 165 will be adequate for my goals?

phide said:
I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I have a related question and didn't feel like starting another thread.

I'm a bit torn between pickup up the 165 or the 170. I have a top-end water setup (Storm G5, ThermoChill 120.3, Laing D5) and was looking for a respectable 2.6/2.7 GHz. Anyone here think I should grab the better binned 170 just in case, or would you say the 165 will be adequate for my goals?

165 is fine (see sig), although I have seen 170's do 2.6Ghz with stock voltage.

I'm at 2.5 (9x278) at 1.375 volts in my SN25P. Stepping is CCBWE 0534. Kinda hitting the thermal limit (mine more than anything) with the shuttle's cooling at this point. 55C at 100% both cores.

Back