High Volume PC speakers

Baredor

Gawd
Can anyone recommend a very loud set of amplified PC speakers? This is for a warehouse environment where we need an extremely loud windows critical stop beep when something is scanned out of sequence. We've tried some smaller systems like the Logitech X-230 and such to no avail. Grant that I am an audio noob and don't have any idea how to gauge volume other than looking at wattage.

you're not going to want a typical set of "computer speakers" for this job...you'll probably get much better results if you run the computer to a receiver and then through some big ol' tower speakers. Or some of those big loudspeakers that they put in high school auditoriums. It doesn't sound like you're overly concerned with the QUALITY of the sound anyway...just error beeps.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
you're not going to want a typical set of "computer speakers" for this job...you'll probably get much better results if you run the computer to a receiver and then through some big ol' tower speakers. Or some of those big loudspeakers that they put in high school auditoriums.

Some how I suspected this, but was hoping to luck out on an easier solution. Alas. :)

Eva_Unit_0 said:
It doesn't sound like you're overly concerned with the QUALITY of the sound anyway...just error beeps.

Very much correct. I don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction for something cheap but functional that will likely be abused. :p

I'd recommend powered PA cabs, used for concerts and so forth. These are amplified units that usually have horns, so they tend to have quite high sensitivity (ability to make use of available power) and tend to be pretty loud.

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl...06082813112698~disp_IMG~Y~catgroup~[catGroup]
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl...06082813112698~disp_IMG~Y~catgroup~[catGroup]

Not terribly familiar with either of these brands, but they should work fine for what you need. The wattage ratings are probably fairly accurate.

Both have XLR inputs, so you'll need a simple adaptor. You'll probably want a stereo 1/8" RCA adaptor connected to a single RCA to XLR cable. This will be a mono solution.

EDIT: Oh, you can snag RCA to XLR adaptors over at Sweetwater and other places. Try to keep the length under 30 feet or so, but don't be overly concerned about your cabling length.

say what? heh

you could just get some wireless speakers like the Logitech Z5450's and just the rears closer to the work area. You still have to plug the speakers in for power...but you can crank them and not have to worry about batteries. Seems like it would work.. plus they are pretty high wattage for computer speakers.

We need the sound to be easily audible for (ideally) 180 degrees in a 10-15 yard radius. If it's not quite that we'll manage, but it needs to be close. Keep in mind it's already very loud in there to start with. I found these speakers on CDW and was looking for a cheap receiver, but a PA cab might be the way to go. I'll look into both, thanks.

Sounds like pretty much the ideal situation for a PA speaker. Horns result in wide dispersion of high frequency signals that improve off-axis response compared to coventional tweeters in home theater speakers.

You might also want to change the default Stop Error sound to something a bit higher in pitch, as high frequency sounds will cut through the ambient sound of the warehouse more easily than the default "mid-range-ish" sound.

phide said:
I'd recommend powered PA cabs, used for concerts and so forth. These are amplified units that usually have horns, so they tend to have quite high sensitivity (ability to make use of available power) and tend to be pretty loud.

Not terribly familiar with either of these brands, but they should work fine for what you need. The wattage ratings are probably fairly accurate.

Both have XLR inputs, so you'll need a simple adaptor. You'll probably want a stereo 1/8" RCA adaptor connected to a single RCA to XLR cable. This will be a mono solution.

EDIT: Oh, you can snag RCA to XLR adaptors over at Sweetwater and other places. Try to keep the length under 30 feet or so, but don't be overly concerned about your cabling length.

yeah those types of units are what I was thinking of. That's what I'd personally go with. the bottom one even has the amp built-in...just plug it in and go. And they should be plenty loud.

Back