• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

High Resolution Displays Question

andrew911tt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
449
For Monitors with high resolutions like the Apple Cinema 30” Dell 2405FPW and the soon to come Dell 3007FPW

1) Do you have to use a single DVI connection or 2 DVI connections or will a D-sub take advantage of the 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 resolutions?
2) To make the use of these resolutions for 3ds-max and auto-cad ect. Do you need to use a good video card (7800gt), Workstation video card (Fire GL), or will a basic card (x300) be able to do it?
3) If you do duel monitor set up like two 2405s do any of the answers change?
4) Do any games support resolutions that high?
5) For moniters like the IBM T221 what do you have to do to get the res of 3840x2400?

Thank you
 
Although I don't know *all* of the answers, I'll do my best on the couple that I do know...

3) I'm relatively sure the 2405's need only one DVI cable, but for anything higher than 1920x1200, you'd most likely need 2 dual-dvi connections. Again, I'm no expert, but iirc that's true.

4) I'm pretty sure HL2 supports 1920x1200 natively (I've got a Sony W900 24"), and Doom3 will run at said resolution and higher with some mild configuration (easy, easy stuff). I know there are other games that support widescreen/really high resolutions, but you'll have to look at the individual game.

I know someone else will be able to answer the rest for ya :)


*edit: BTW, www.google.com = your friend :)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8578
 
My current understanding is that the DVI (and HDMI) standards will support enough bandwidth for 1920x1200 at 60hz. This means that you would need 2 of them to power 2560x1600 at 60hz. Obviously you will need 2 connectors for 2 monitors anyway, so a pair of 2405s would be no problem, but a pair of 2560x1600 displays could be a problem. I am guessing that you would have to use all 4 dvi ports on an SLI setup (although cross-fire users are out of luck) but I'm not entirely sure if that works. There are also PCI cards that you could use in addition to PCIX or AGP cards. I know there's a way to do it, but I'm sure there would be hurdles to jump (drivers, compatibility, etc).

The other option is to lower the refresh rate. The IBM T221 is a professional display and doesn't really always need 60hz and 2 DVI connections will power it at 30hz.

I can't really answer your question about graphics cards for things that aren't gaming related. I would think that a junky card would work, just not for real-time and image quality wouldn't be that great. Things that aren't done in real-time may not even utilize the graphics card
 
Dual Link DVI is what is used for higher resolutions.. But despite the name, it is just still 1 connector, it just has more pins.

But the monitor and video card would have to have the Dual Link DVI connector, and I don't believe any of the gaming cards out today have them.
 
UrielDagda said:
But the monitor and video card would have to have the Dual Link DVI connector, and I don't believe any of the gaming cards out today have them.


the 7800 series and x1800 series do... i dunno about older stuff
 
ampedxc27 said:
the 7800 series and x1800 series do... i dunno about older stuff
x1600 also has dual-link dvi. And If I am not wrong, you can run two of those Dell/Apple 30" at the same time with a x1600 as it has two dual-link DVI.
 
Yes, dual link is a single DVI cable.

Yes, you can run 2560x1600 off of a D-sub if your card supports it (but a LCD that big really warrants a digital connection).

For gaming purposes, you'd better have some serious horsepower to run 1900x1200 or 2560x1600.

If you want the best performance from workstation aps, get a workstation card (Quadro or FireGL depending on what apps you are running, read reviews to find out what performs best for what you use).
 
3) If you do duel monitor set up like two 2405s do any of the answers change?
4) Do any games support resolutions that high?

In regards to these questions, if you go with Dual 2405's, most video cards will power these fine. Most video cards support the 1920x1200 resolutions. Any resolutions higher than that require a dual link DVI and as someone said before, the newer 78001/x1800/x1600 cards support it. There are some games that support the 1920x1200 resolutions and some that require a hack, but there aren't any games that I'm aware of that supports the resolutions that 30" LCD's require, yet. If you wish to game, you really need a powerful videocard to run at 1920x1200 resolutions.
 
Back
Top