High RAM voltage

bbvulcan

n00b
I'm planning on getting an Abit IP35-E with either some Crucial Ballistix or Patriot ram. Both sets run at 2.2v so I'm wondering if I will be able to boot into the bios at 1.8v or whatever the default setting for the motherboard is. Do I have to just boot with one stick to make it work or something? I don't want to get my components to find out that I can't even boot into the bios. I noticed that here http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=147163 they say that Ballistix will boot with the IP35 Pro. Would it be the same with the IP35-E?

If you start your computer for the first time, the speed will probably clocked at 800mhz with loose timings, so you can expect the stuff to run.

When i booted my ip35pro with my crucial ballistix for the first time i believe that the voltage was autoset at 1.8ish and the timings were 6-6-6-18. All you'll need to do is change it to what you want it. In general you can expect your mobo to just kind of guess what settings to use for your ram. I've never had a problem not being able to boot up the first time due to ram settings :)

Motherboard do not "guess" they use the settings programmed into the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) chip on the memory stick. CPU-z will show you what is programmed in there. After the p965 debacle manuf now program the SPD chip properly with loose JEDEC standard timings. You then go into the bios and set the manuf advertised "better" timings and voltage.

To the OP, the issue is 99.9% resolved it will work fine (the other .1% is the board-to-ram compatibility issues that have always been around ).

Back