• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

high pitched whine from PSU

mtasquared

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 14, 2008
Messages
86
My power supply is about 5 years old and is a crappy 500 W comp usa brand. Recently it began making intermittent high pitched buzzing noises. I tried blowing out the dust from the unit. That had the result of it now making continuous high pitched buzzing noises. Before I replace it I wonder if anyone else had something like this happen to them and if they could fix it somehow.

No crashes or glitches otherwise, just this annoying sound.
 
Could be the fan or could be something else. I'd err on the side of caution and pick up something from the closest B&M. Btw if the fan is dying and you don't replace it, the PSU will overheat...however 5 years I'd replace the PSU asap anyway..
 
It's probably either coil whine or failing capacitors. Since it's a cheap unit, it wouldn't surprise me if it were the latter. I recommend that you replace it as soon as possible. If you post a budget, I can help you find a quality unit in your price range so you can avoid having problems in the future.
 
Last edited:
It could be your PSU, video card, or motherboard that could make that noise. I'd suggest though replacing your ancient power supply first though. Power supplies are usually the likely suspect when it comes to squeals.
 
Well he didn't mention if it was during 3D loads or not. I mean, if it's doing it at idle, it's not the typical Seasonic squeal. And I seriously doubt that the CUSA PSU would be a Seasonic in the first place anyway.
 
Well he didn't mention if it was during 3D loads or not. I mean, if it's doing it at idle, it's not the typical Seasonic squeal. And I seriously doubt that the CUSA PSU would be a Seasonic in the first place anyway.
Coil whine is hardly an issue unique to Seasonic power supplies, and it also does not only happen at load. It could also be a fan issue though. In any case, it should be replaced.
 
thanks for the input guys. guess I'll be shopping a new PSU. meanwhile i have backups of all data.....
 
Again, thanks for the input. I'm thinking of going with Seasonic (quiet and efficient, I believe).

I play keyboard music on my pc with Reason, and also listen to iTunes, so this noise is killing me.:confused:
 
heh... make sure to avoid server PSUs. My server PSU is noisey... though small.

actually, just pm Danny Bui, Zero82z about a good one.
 
CompUSA's PSUs came from several suppliers, from lousy Powmax/Leadman (I saw Powmax on the fan sticker) all the way up to really good Win-tact (a supplier to PC Power & Cooling).
 
My power supply is labelled Thermaltake (which is on the list of crappy ones). I think the packaging was comp usa, but I could be remembering wrong after 5 years.

I put a Seasonic psu in my Dad's box around the same time and its giving him no problems.
 
Back
Top